flowerchild V MBNA PPI + Charges reclaim

flowerchild
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5006 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

It would appear these sharks have acquired a large number of credit card accounts previously belonging to other banks and, having secured all those balances, they have started charging extortionate rates of interest in excess of 30% APR since last year. These days a lot of us are unemployed or on modest incomes and there aren't as many options for 0% balance transfers, low interest loans or even remortgages as there used to be so most MBNA creditors are trapped against our will when we never even signed up for one of their cards in the first place! In the meantime, they are lining their pockets at our expense.

I have sent CCA/SAR request to them but just a week ago. They have been charging £45/mth PPI, yet it took them over 2 months to provide the details of some 3rd party insurers in Ireland who, after a couple of letters (dating back to March 1st), have yet to reply. Their charges continue to mount up with overlimit charges, late penalties and interest of 34% APR. I haven't used their card for a year and the only reason it's over the limit is because of their charges. Having complained about all this in writing, they replied with a letter merely reiterating their obscene rates of interest and charges as well as a separate letter asking me to cut up the card and send it back to them along with any cheques! They know very well that even if I wanted to use the infamous card it wouldn't be accepted so what's the point?

They also ring every day my home and mobile numbers although I recognise the 800 number and never answer their calls. They also send the occasional txt. On one occasion the call came through as 'international' so I answered it but we never got past the security questions the lady asked me, I said if she was ringing ME she'd have to state the reason for her call w/o quizzing me, that I was busy and I'd written to MBNA. She replied that the calls would continue and that I'd have to discuss 'my business with MBNA' over the phone!

I took out this card with A&L over 15 years ago and paid on time every single month till now. I never agreed to pay 34% APR on the card, nor did I know there would be a credit crunch or that the card would be sold to sharks like MBNA in 15 years time!

I guess I have to wait for their reply (or timeout) on the CCA and SAR but surely there HAS to be something that can be done against sharks like them! :evil::twisted:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would wait until you get the response to the SAR, work out the charges plus interest.

Send a CCA Request, if they don't send you a copy of your agreement with the SAR request.

I have sent both in one envelope but with two separate letters and two postal orders, one for CCA and another for SAR, as I believe they have a lot less time to reply to the CCA.

Did you use any Credit Card Cheques?
I did at some point but not recently, probably 3 or 4 years ago. Does this make any difference? They were sent to me back in the A&L days as 'convenience cheques'...

I don't know the complete position on Credit Card Cheques, only what I've read. Get the SAR info first.

BBC NEWS | Business | Crackdown on credit card cheques

BBC News - MBNA to stop credit card cheques

Most interesting! Thanks for the link, I did use them a few times to pay for essentials like electricity and council tax, back in 2006 it think it was. I had no idea about handling fees or any of that stuff. Presumably the SAR documents will have details of payments made by CC cheque.

Thanks again!

Hi Flowerchild.

Have a look at some of the other MBNA threads on this site and you will probably get an idea of what you are up against.

On a lighter note they are one of the most incompetent companies as you will see from some of the other members on the site.

There is a good letter in the templates library you can send them regarding the harassment calls.

I have used it on a couple of accounts my family have with MBNA and it has worked for a while, and if they do come back then send them a follow up threatening letter.

I hope this has helped, but do have a look at the other threads you will see you are not alone in your thinking.

Have you Defaulted on the card and if so have you received a Default Notice from them.

Mrs M

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

Isn't there something that can be done against MBNA?

Probably quite a lot, but us MBNA members would probably get locked up for it!

:D

Another club member, welcome flowerchild, you will gets lots of help here

Hi Flowerchild.

Have you Defaulted on the card and if so have you received a Default Notice from them.

Stopped paying as couldn't keep up the ever increasing payments of over £200/mth. They haven't sent me a proper Default Notice, just a lot of reminders and threats, latest was a letter asking me to cut up the card and send it back to them which seems to be just a way to humiliate me as I can't use the card anyway! :-x

Most interesting! Thanks for the link, I did use them a few times to pay for essentials like electricity and council tax, back in 2006 it think it was. I had no idea about handling fees or any of that stuff. Presumably the SAR documents will have details of payments made by CC cheque.

Thanks again!

Yep the statements will contain the info because the interest rates are much higher.

My situation is slightly different, in that I had no Credit Cards, the accounts hadn't been used for about four years. They hadn't sent me

any statements. Out of the blue they sent me some Credit Card Cheques at the time the FOS were useless. I'm just waiting to here from them,

then the fun and games will begin.

Yes, that's the one! I'll send one out today as they rang my landline and mobile twice this morning at 8:30 and 9:30, they seem to do that every day as well as ringing once or twice during the course of the day and again in the evening! I know the number and don't answer but at times they've used another number.

Many thanks!

Thanks Dotty for the link.

Was half asleep last night, but just wanted to assure Flowerchild that she is not alone on this site.

Flowerchild, dont panic yet as you have the default notice to come and all the other rubbish. Chances are they will scr*w up like they usually do.

As Rebel said see what comes up in the statements, you never know you could end up with a windfall. ;)

Will be on and off today as I am making an Easter Bonnet for my grandson, I get this job every year and every year he has to have it bigger.

See Ya Later.

Remember keep smiling in the knowledge that we know more than they do.

Mrs M

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

Flowerchild,

If not already done, get a ring binder folder, keep copies of all your letters, together with recorded delivery proof of signature which is usually available on the royal mail site a few days after delivery (if your lucky!) Some may advise not to sign your letters, I just send a typed signature in word and MBNA have never questioned it.

Most important is that you keep the envelopes of any letters received from them especially the Default Notice as dates VERY important here.

Good advice Dotty.

Yes always make sure you keep a hard copy of any letters sent. My computer fried a few months ago and I lost all data on the hard drive, luckily I had copies of letters in the files I was keeping.

Their is a link on here somewhere for a signguard strip you can put on the letters I will ask MR M later for it.

When you go on the Track & trace PO site you may not always get a signature. Slick told me it doesnt matter as long as you keep the original posting slip.

Mrs M

Many thanks for all your help! :)

Just waiting for the $hark$ to come back with something. May try to claim back the PPI, isn't it supposed to PROTECT your payments so you don't have to go through all this? I saw somewhere that you can only go as far back as 6 years due to statute of limitations. Of course they will pass the buck over to their in$urer$ who have never replied to my letters! :mad:

Didn't know about the envelopes before - but those from the banks don't come postkmarked in the conventional way, how can you use them to tell when they were posted?

Thanks again!

Flowerchild

Hi Flowerchild

I have found the Sign guard, go to the following thread:

Steve2577 steve v capital / post 58.

If you copy the image and then save it to a word document you can copy and use when necessary.

Don't forget with the ppi you will also be claiming both sets of interest.

We have a claim at the moment which started off at about £4000, after the interest it went up to £14000.

So even if you don't get all the statements back weigh up how much you can get from them with what you do get, but still push them for the rest.

Someone on here gave me some good advice, hit them with what you have got but let them know you will be coming back when you get the rest of your information.

Keep your eye open for the DN because chances are it will be completely useless.

Will keep looking in and dont worry you will get some good advice from people on this site when you need it.

Mrs M :-)

Thanks Dotty for the link, for some reason could not get the link up on my computer.

Mrs M :)

Have read the thread and I'm a bit confused now. Followed advice from another forum similar to this one I'd found earlier and sent CCA and SAR at the same time to a couple of banks, as they said creditors often send just a copy of the T&C when you ask for CCA; besides I'll need the full set if I want to look at the PPI and other charges such as overlimit charges imposed when my card went over the limit not because I used the card but because the $hark$ increased the rates, PPI, etc.

Unfortunately I didn't know anything about signatures when I sent the requests so I just signed the letters as I normally would! :confused:

Thanks Dotty for the link, for some reason could not get the link up on my computer.

Mrs M :)

It's good practice for me Mrs M. :)

flowerchild, don't worry too much about signing, there is nothing you can do about it now and as I said before MBNA have not questioned it with me. It seems that Cap1 are the ones that use this to delay things.

If you don't use the digital signature just make sure you make your signature identifiable to you and copy it before you send it to them.

With regard to CCA and SAR at the same time, I personally found it better (as advised on here) to leave it until after default issued as it gives you important information at this point.

I believe that CCC's don't always send a copy of the CCA with a SAR anyway, I have just had a reply to my SAR and no sign of it!

Thanks again for all your help, I thought I'd forget all about this over the Easter w/e but the $hark$ have just rang both my home and mobile numbers, ON GOOD FRIDAY!!! :-x Didn't answer as I googled the number (a different 0800 than the usual) and it belongs to an MBNA-related call centre in India!

Actually, you can set your mobile to alert you only for calls from certain groups you've set up like family, friends, clients, colleagues, etc. I successfully avoided many 0800 calls that went completely unnoticed (you still get them as missed calls) that way, only changed it as I was expecting calls from recruitment consultants who usually come up as 'private numbers' but I'm going to put it back the way it was for the long w/e, better than switching it off or putting it on silent as you can still receive calls from people you know! ;)