If the d/d was more than the charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent of my ''step 1 letter'', i received a list of all the charges over the last 6 years.

Am i right i saying that i can only claim the money back if the returned d/d, was less than the charges.

eg.A credit card was d/d was not paid for £10 but they charged my £35

This i can claim back.

or

If they d/d was £45 They CAN charge me £35.

Please answer as im ready for step two.

From the FAQ:

Q. I get charged a £5 (£10,£15) fee every month for an overdraft on my current account. Can I get these back too?

A. No, there is nothing unlawful about charging for a service provided. If there was, our hosting for this site would be free.

Q. But I have agreed when I opened my account to pay charges on returned direct debits etc and exceeded overdraft limits.

A. Yes, you did. The banks are entitled to apply these charges but not at an excessive rate. Penalty charges must be calculated to reflect the LOSSES SUSTAINED BY THE BANKS when you cause them a problem. NO MORE. Contractual terms must be applied in a reasonable and lawful way. Banking contracts must be operated within the law.

Q. Is it ok to completely ignore the section labelled 'FAQ' and just ask the same question as everyone else has before me?

A. Yes, of course. The Admins and Mods want for nothing more than to repeat themselves serveral hundred times per day. We live for it, really we do. It's not like there's more pressing issues at hand - or people with questions that haven't been answered here.

PS. No, in reality, it's not.

"only" asking for help is fine... "only" asking what has already been answered is not. Sorry.

I've just wasted 20 mns trying to help you to help yourself.

Obviously, even though I've gone to the FAQs to get your answers, even though I've WRITTEN IN BLOCK LETTERS the relevant parts, it's still not enough.

It's not about by how much YOU'VE GONE OVER, it's about HOW MUCH THE BANKS CHARGE.

DOES IT COST THE BANK £35 WHEN YOU GO OVER BY 1 PENNY OR 500 QUID?

NO? THEN CLAIM IT. Clear enough?

You're welcome.

Ellybums

Its late. Bookworm has probably been working hard on questions all night. There is a lot to take in. I found it took a couple of days reading to get the whole picture and even then I suspect I only have 50% of it. Perhaps another read in the morning might be a good idea.

The point is all the charges are unlawful but the banks may be able to justify about £1 or £2. You are best claiming the whole amount and leave the bank to justify their costs. Hope this helps.

It really does take a little while of reading then re-reading the FAQs, also other posts to get the picture.

The people who put this forum together, did it out of their own pockets and in their own time, because they want to help people to help themselves. The people who moderate this forum do so free of charge and in their own time.

We should respect and appreciate the time they put in, and as they constantly get asked the same old stuff which is clearly there if people will only take the time to find and read it, it's little wonder if they occasionally feel a little exasperated.

If this (and other similar) forums were not put on the web, then where would we be - still merrily accepting the bank charges no doubt...

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

I agree. The moderators are doing a tremendous job, and are probably extremely tired from reading the same questions over and over. It took me a while before I got to grips with it. Read through the FAQs till they're tattooed in your head and it'll click all of a sudden. (honest!)

Visit the library and download your DPA request first, send it to your bank, and when they have sent you the info, come back here.

Good luck. x

Hi ELLYBUMS and welcome to the site....

Since your 'fight' with the Halifax (and who knows, maybe other organisations after that) is likely to take several weeks to complete, it really is worth your time spending maybe a day or two going over all the info in the FAQs and The Library etc - you will find it really helps you to grasp the detail of the work required from you in order to RECLAIM YOUR MONEY!!!

Bookworm, this realy isn't a dig at you, or any other mod for that fact, as it is plainly clear that the effort that goes into running the site is immense and takes it's toll on those involved, sometimes resulting in an abrupt response that would perhaps otherwise not happen.

This is not likely to get better as the publicity and word of mouth increase traffic to the site, and as in general life, not everyone is able to follow the easiest of advice or will always go to the obvious first port of call. I think it's important not to be too critical of new visitors. If indeed you've had a long day, often repeating yourself, perhaps the best option is to leave the response until the next day.

I'm more than willing to get stuck in too, and have PM'd BF to offer my services should he see fit.

Keep up the good work - it will all be worth it in the end !!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thank you EVERY 1 for all your help.

I apologise bookworn if i have mad your evening a nightmare.

I am extremly grateful for yours and everybody's post's.

I will read,read again and re-read the FAQ in the future.

It really does take a few days to get your head around all the arguments and all the information.

You will be setting a timetable (the timetable that the bank says it will work to is irrelevant). In the FAQ you will find 'first steps.' Start this, be clear on what your first step is (requesting the info from the bank so that you can calculate what they owe you)

Whilst waiting for the info, read up on your next step. Stick to your own thread in the relevant area (eg ellybums claim against [bank]), and use this as a sort of diary which you can update as things progress.

Finally, if someone answers a question by pointing you in the direction of a relevant FAQ, take the time to look at it. If the FAQ is not clear, or there is something missing, then asking the question again, in this context, is valid, and will be responded to in a way that you would consider helpful.

You are here, you want your money back, you will get help and support in this, but it is YOUR call, and you must be prepared to put in the effort.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks