what are the procedures for dismissing a sick employee

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5200 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The boyfriend has been off work since July after a motorbike accident (not his fault). He is unable to use his wrist and his job involves lots of typing. At his last meeting with work they said they may have to consider getting rid of him. He has an occupational health assessment soon to discuss what he can and can't do.

What are the proper channels they have to go through if they do decide to get rid of him? Is there any advice anyone has? Thanks

They seem, apparently, to be following the right procedure by inviting him to a health assessment...

Upon the professional's diagnostic and prognostic, and related report to his employer, they will have to determine if a suitable position is available within the company... (at this point it would be reasonable to determine if his accident-related injury can be categorised as 'disability' - long-term and adverse effect on his ability to undertake normal day-to-day activities).

If no suitable position is available for him to occupy or if they cannot make reasonable adjustments, then they could dismiss him under ill health.

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Normally, they would hold a hearing after receipt of the OHA report but they should also investigate the possibility of an alternative post, although, in my experience, most companies just go through the motions with this.

His employment can be terminated on health grounds, even if it's not a permanent but temporary illness/disability. My previous employer dismissed someone who had a hip replacement operation because her job involved lifting and that was an activity she would be unable to do for some 2 years or so.

Most companies are becoming much tougher in respect of sickness absence these days. I suspect if the OHA states that your boyfriend is unable to return to work in the forseeable future then they will terminate his employment and are able to do so, providing they follow due process.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More