Job offer while off sick

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5191 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been off work with stress as a result of a bullying incident at work 3 months ago. The incident hasn't been resolved, and I am still being signed off with stress by my Dr, pending resolution. In the meantime, I have managed to get a couple off job offers. My dilemma though is; once my prospective new employers find out about my attendance, these offers will probably be withdrawn!

Anybody have any knowledge of Occupational Health opinions on "work related stress" and offers of employment, subject to pre-employment checks?

I'm worried if I can't get over this hurdle I might have to go back to my job.:?

First Direct ** WON ** :p

Difficult to say, each company has it's own OH policy and tolerances for sickness and/or absence.

The best advice I can give you is that any information relating to your health (specifically) is confidential. Your absence record is not so, but if you are honest with them about it, then it will give you a much better chance than letting them make up their own mind about why you were off work. But being honest may depend on how much time you have had off - a couple of weeks can be explained in one manner, a month may require more honesty and conviction.

I would strongly advise against mentioning any negative remarks about your current job or employer, there is nothing worse than hearing about how bad an employer is from a prospective employee because you automatically think that is how they will view you if you ever decide to leave!

In addition, stress and depression and other conditions (labelled as mental health related) cannot be used to reasonably prevent a job offer as that would be classed as disability discrimination, so do not be afraid to speak up about your troubles if you feel it would increase their understanding and also your prospects.

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

Thanks for your reply chesham.

I agree with your advice about refraining from negative comments with regard to my current employer.

I am a public sector employee at the moment, and both job offers have come from public sector employers, although, in slightly different sectors.

My attendance record; prior to the incident; is very good, if not excellant, and my references should be equally good, therefore I am hoping consideration would be given to this.

I'm just not sure, and after all, I have done nothing wrong.

First Direct ** WON ** :p