• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
    • Sars request sent on 16th March and also sent a complaint separately to Studio. Have received no response. Both letters were received and signed for.  I was also told by the financial ombudsman that studio were investigating but I've also had no response to that either.  The only thing Studio have sent me is a default notice.  Any ideas of what I can do from here please 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Blemain finance

dax
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2290 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

Cheshire Mortgage Corporation Head office: Bracken House, Charles Street, Manchester, M1 7BD Type of membership: Member

The above are the parent company of Blemain and they are members of the the council of mortgage lenders. Ths means they agree to the motgage code. This also means complaints can be made to

The Mortgage Code Compliance Board

University Court

Stafford

ST18 0GN

Tel: 01785 218200

Complaints concerning the general operation of

the Code can be made to them.

or try

The Mortgage Code Arbitration Scheme

International Arbitration Centre

12 Bloomsbury Square

London WC1A 2LP

Tel: 020 7421 7444

and you can download a copy of the mortgage code off of the cml website.

Hope this may be of use

Hi dax

I haven't got further due to serious family problems taking over at the moment.

I have read your thread with Halifax. I do hope someone hhas finally offered you a proper answer as it seems you were getting no where with it. I can't offer any help on that one as I don't know much about it. I do feel though as you do that as it was their mistake and the amounts credited were not overly large that you were quite justified in assuming them to be correct and I am sure there must be some way of stopping them insisting on ou repaying such a large amount.

Good luck

I only wish midge..or at least they should offer some reduction as a gesture of goodwill....I could understand if I had loaned the money, but I never asked for their mistake and am now landed with a 7k debt and being hounded by more sharks.This time I dont even comprehend what their trying to relay and cannot afford legal advise or need more wrangles..I think we should all go back to keeping our money under the matress and invest in a guard dog as at least then you could count it, pay peter and paul and see the change right in front of you. I mean what exactly do banks actually do for us but bring us grief! Then havethe ordacidy to charge us for being with them

know from what i have read that it seems they are within their rights to ask for repayment but that you can also take off an amount for inconvienience ie letters etc that you have had to send over the matter and a pecentage for having caused you a problem.

Could you not work out what you think is a resonable amount to be deducted and then offer a repayment of the rest via monthly payments. At least that way no judge will see you as unreasonable and as it was the banks fault in the first place you should not be made to make a lump sum repayment, especially if you can prove this would cause you hardship.

Don't know what else to suggest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Misy

I am at the point of needing to tackle their non compliance of my s.a.r but unfortunately finances won't let me!

I could really do with some ideas on how to get them to comply without court.

What's your beef with them?

Well, I just dicovered that one could claim charges on mortgage accounts even if they've been paid up and decided to check it out....

I couldn't find a single paperwork on my BF account (which is surprising as I keep everything!.....I mean everything!!) not even my account number....

Then lo and behold, a couple of days later, they send me a 'sales' letter in the post....u know those ones asking u to use their services again!....

Anyway, I called them up and managed to obtain my old account number (I took out the loan in October 2001 and paid it off with a remortgage in August 2003. They also gave me the previous loan amount as 13k, and the total I should have paid under my agreement if it ran the 25 years term as 38k.

When I redeemed the mortgage I paid back 16k apparently but like I said I have no paperwork. What I will be doing on Monday is calling my current lender for a copies of any paperwork sent to them from BF just in case I get no favourable answer to my SAR (which I'll also be sending out on Monday).

I think I'll get a name and fax number on Monday and ask if they used the Rule of 78 on my account....

For those of you who haven't heard from BF despite sending a SAR and a letter of non-compliance, why don't u just go ahead and approximate what u think they owe u (make it a ridiculous amount.....that should get their attention!), send your prelim, then send ur LBA as u would with reclaiming any other charge?

If they still don't give a positive feedback just take ur claim to the court.......At least at court they have to show up with all the necessary paperwork to prove their case against u!......

What do u all think?

Hi Misy

I managed to get my old account numbers from the solicitor that dealt with my remortgage.

Your idea does seem a fair one but from reading posts by Patrikq I am inclined to make sure of my facts first as their legal team are particularly nasty!

If you have any luck getting a name and a fax number that would be of interest. I know in my dealings with them it took 6 months to get a complaint ak=cknowledged and dealt with. Perhaps I will review all my letters etc and try pestering some of the names on the letters sent to me hehehe;)

Hi Missy,

As yet have heard nothing from Blemain but the clock is still ticking away for me and their 40 days are not up yet. I can probably estimate my redemption penalty fairly accurately (date take out blemain loan and amount - know how many payments were made - know what the redemption figure was since the new mortgage amount was taken out to cover it exactly). Think I will just press on with court action if they dont respond - you can always file a claim for an unspecified amount and having presented the case simply let the judge decide based on the facts presented. I think one of two things would happen either 1. BF would come up with the exact figures in which case if it is lower than expected you are still getting what you are entitled to or 2. The judge awards a lower amount than expected - well you didnt really know what you were entitled to start with so I suppose in reality its no great loss you have got something back.

Any thoughts chaps/chapessess.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

I've gotten some paperwork from BF over the last 2 days....my credit agreement and a detailed breakdown of how they calculated my settlement figure using the Rule of 78 (took the loan out in Oct 2001).

I'll be taking a look at these in the morning and feedback to you ASAP.

Story so far....

Oct 01 - loan taken out.

August 03 - loan paid off.

13/11/07 - called BF on 0800-111-6799 and got to speak to the infamous Lee Longdon. I verbally requested the DPA and he asked me why I needed the information. I told him for my personal financial housekeeping as I had nothing in my financial about this loan. He then had the nerve say he didn't see what I needed the information for as the account has been settled. He went on to say ".....it'll take 10 man-hours to get the information and you'll just end up sticking it into a file!..." Can you imagine?!?:mad:

He also informed me that the loan I took out wasn't a regulated one. Hmmm! Needless to say I sent off a SAR with 10.00 cheque:wink:

27/11/07 - received copy of my credit agreement. Doesn't look like any PPI has been added to the loan:(....

28/11/07 - received a "more-than" detailed break down of how they calculated my loan settlement using the Rule of 78 (in my SAR I had specifically told them to send me an "understandable" breakdown of all calculations of redemption as well as an an "understandable" statement of account; not just a computer generated print of figures!"). Wow! I'm actually impressed!.....having said that they might have done this simply because they know for definite that I don't have a valid PPI claim!!

Am I correct in saying that if one paid PPI it would be itemised on the original credit agreement?.... Anyone know?

OK so it looks like I wasn't charged any PPI on this secured loan.

However, the following were charged to the account:

1) Default Interest(for non / late payment) = 21.17

2) Legal & Documentation Fee = 585.00

3) Redemption Administration = 58.75

4) Collection Costs = 352.50

They say that the Legal and Documentation Fee is " ....non-interest bearing and covers all costs incurred during the underwriting process associated with the loan.." They say they "..defer payment of this amount until either early settlement or the end of the loan.

Can I claim any of these back?......at least items 1) and 4)?:rolleyes:

Hi Missy

The PPI would show as a seperate amount with interest for it as well.

It's worth getting the figures for the redemption checked as I believe they may prove incorrect;)

To scan a letter for here you need to scan it and put it in an album on photobucket.com first then you can paste the link. Remove all your personal details first though!

I have finally recieved some of my info today and they say more is to follow. So I will have to have a good look at it later.

Well it all seems to be moving now, I have also received my settlement figures and statements in the post this morning. As you will recall I did write to the FSA and OFT who fobbed me off but maybe if weve all been complaining perhaps they have actually spoken to Blemain.

For information a copy of the FSA undertaking and direction on the rule of 78 being applied is available on the FSA website ( I cant provide a link i'm not that clever) by just typing in Blemain in the search box.

I have established that I paid £11k redemption penanty on a £28000 original loan using rule of 78: hence settlement was £39000 for an outstanding balance of £21000. Excessive ?????? just a tadge I think.

Like all I am not sure where to go from here (FSA OFT and FOS not interested since loan before their time)(see previous threads).

I have spoken to a couple of Solicitors on the fixed fee interview scheme, I was not that reassured and came away with the following options:

Option 1: take them to court, more than small claims amount so would need legal representation - couldn't present myself.

Option 2 : Do same on no win no fee basis but so far havent been able to find anyone who does this for these types of cases.

Option 3 : Claim only the £5000 in small claims - see myself off for £6000 and I am led to believe the law is far more complex than reclaiming bank charges. So could be risky.

Option 4 : Do nothing - My situation is now such that I am thinking about an IVA, I dont really have any more time to play with even though this would have solved all my problems. Any money received will just go to my other creditors so I wouldnt see it anyways therefore why waste my time pursuing it at present. If previous subscribers to the thread are right and the limitation period is 12 years then I may as well wait until after the IVA is discharged and at least get the money for myself. The timescales would be tight !!!!!!!!!.

I think having thought about it I will probably be backing off this particular fight at present but I wish everybody else the best of luck. I will keep my eye on the thread just so that I can take some comfort in knowing that they are not getting away with it.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2290 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks