Debt at parent's house

Marmeduke
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am officially of no fixed abode, but I have a car registered to and insured at my parents house. I have not resided at this address for 5 years. I have been staying at a girlfriends' but am registered nowhere...on no electoral registar or anything similar. What I need to know is, can my creditors trace me to my parents' address due to the fact that my car is registered there?

I do not particularly care about dealing with creditors myself, but I would feel sick about the thought of baliffs turning up at my 70 year old parents' house, or any one else's parent's house, for that matter.

Can creditors find an address of a debtor's car registration; would they assume that is their current abode....and have they any legal jurisdiction over that address, no matter if it were the debtor's adddress or not?

I would guess DCA's have access to less than legal ways of tracing people. If you haven't been found by now they unlikely to find you before it's statute barred. DCA's have no legal authority over anything, the worse they can do is harrass people. Just one more thing, there will be a census coming up soon and it is a stiff penalty for a householder to lie about who resides there.

First of all they have to know - or suspect - that you have a car. They then have to find out the Reg number.

I'm sure you will be ringing them asap to tell them this information ... or maybe not. :)

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

It's dlc (direct legal & collections). They haven't been round to observe any cars; they are in Northampton, I am in Birmingham. I have so far only been the subject of their standard letters. I wrote to them in November telling them I was being evicted from my rented address, that I would be only contactable through email or mobile phone, and that monthly payments would continue as normal. Since then they have been sending letters to me to my parents' address. I just want to know how they would have got this address and why they would write to me there?!

What I really need to know is, will they assume me to live at that address, and direct their letters and action there, if they find out through some online search that I have a car registered there? I haven't lived there for 5 years but have my car registered and insured there.

It is possible but the DCA would have to be clever about it.

They can contact your relatives anyway to try to find out your whereabouts without revealing the debt.

Do not worry about Baliffs at your parents house because they would have to take you to court first and to do that they need to have better proof than that of your whereabouts.