Breach of Data Protection Act - HBOS?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice regarding complaining about HBOS?

I have received word from mx ex-wife that she has been receiving MY quarterly bank statements for over 6 mths and knows exactly what my earnings are, where I've been and what my spending habits etc are. I find this totally unacceptable and she is now using some of this information against me in what is clearly going to be a messy and protracted legal separation.

My gripes are as follows:

1. In Nov 08 I changed my address with the bank however after speaking with a very apologetic customer representative today (after finding out my ex knew everything regarding my finances) she told me that although the new address was indeed on the system, it had not been updated correctly and both my previous and new address' were shown.

2. A 'glich' in the system (the customer representatives response) had resulted in my preferences for statements suddenly changing from 'e-mail' to 'by post' and quarterly statements have subsequently been sent to my previous address. This apparently has happened to a few customers before. My online account incidentally still showed me as paperless billing??

To say that this breach of privacy has caused me stress is a major understatement. What would have been a simple, straightforward and amicable separation has now become a minefield.

Can anyone please suggest a course of action.

Thank you for your time.

Hi,

I requested for some old bank statements to be sent to me in December, however I did not receive them, so I called me bank again (Barclays) and they said they will resend them. After waiting a couple of weeks, they finally arrived! Well, I thought they finally arrived until I was looking over them. I have received someone else's bank statements. The covering letter was addressed to me, however the statements had someone else's name and address as well as bank transactions on. I am now wondering who has my bank statements. When contacting my bank they asked me to destroy this other person's bank statements and they will re-issue mine.

I haven't a clue as to what I can do about this situation, this has got to be a breach of data protection! Any advice?

Hi Laurie,

I'd strongly advise that you contact the other person and inform them that their data security has been breached, which is a very serious matter. No wonder the bank told you to destroy them!! Don't-they are the property of the person named and should be sent to them...they will have a right to complain to the Information commissioners Office.

There but for the grace of God go any of us, and if we don't insist on safe custody of our personal details these slapdash transgressions will continue.

kind regards,

Elsa x