Debt collection - Advantis - AOL debt

mra1984
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I was on a no contract (wireless flexi broadband thing) that you can cancel at anytime.

I then moved houses and it seemed that I forgot to cancel it although I thought I had, AOL say I did not. I cancelled the direct debit though in september. They have now found me via a debt agency and are demanding a £79 payout... they say the account has also now been cancelled (not by me) about 10 days ago.

Do I just have to pay this or have I got any leg to stand at all in order not to? i.e. because of the DD cancellation I made.

Any genuine replies much appreciated

Thanks

Matthew

Just ignore them, or if not, send them the "prove it" letter in the forum template library.

They won't go to court foranything under £100. And it's unlikely they'll have enough evidence to support who cancelled what and when anyway.

Also a DCA collecting on behalf of AOL can't start any legal action anyway, as only the person who owns the alledged debt can do that, so don't be afraid of their threats in their letters.

I've had the same from AOL, but through Moorcroft for £30 they claimed I owed after cancelling and them ignoring my 4 emails. Told them to provide proof I owed anything, and that was the last I have heard for 2 years.

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

fuzzybobble thanks very much for your reply. I would like to at least try sending the 'prove it' letter and if they can well fair enough. But if they can't then at least I can save the money, as long as my credit rating is not damaged by it?

Thanks again, sorry to be a pain but wherabouts exactly can I find the template I need, I had a look but could not find one for 'prove it'?

Many thanks

Matthew

Sam thanks for that.

I intend to still send the letter although unlike angry cat I do not have the prove that I have cancelled this...I thought I had done but I don't have the code...I never bothered to keep it and they say their systems say I haven't. It might be my fault but sure I would of cancelled it...

Anyway I suppose I can't lose anything by asking them to prove it and if they can then fair enough but if not then I can wriggle out of this I hope?! I mean I was not using the service and had cancelled my DD.

Thanks all

There were a whole batch of AOL accounts passed on to DCA's when they should not have been!

I have had an apology from AOL (now carphone warehouse) admitting the mistake.

This AOL 'cock-up' was reported on in the press;

clerical error, AOL called it; roll eyes...

Tell them that you are aware of their clerical cock-up and demand an apology.

Make a formal written complaint to the AOL CEO in Dublin.