£300 tenant admin fee?!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5211 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Caggers,

My area all the agents admin fees are around £300. Ive been reading around and this seems extortianate.

Finally found a place after months of searching but Im struggling to come to terms with giving them £300 for 'admin'. They point blank refuse to lower it at all.

Is there any OFT guidance or other regulation on these fees?

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

Theres not. This isnt a contract or similar, but a fee for a service. You can obviously refuse to pay, but then they simply refuse to give you the service.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Theres not. This isnt a contract or similar, but a fee for a service. You can obviously refuse to pay, but then they simply refuse to give you the service.

Then im homeless :mad:

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

I expect they're also ripping off the landlord with their other hand.

Almost definitely.

Then im homeless :evil:

Why?

Get a property let directly by a landlord as opposed to through an agent.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Tried that - as soon as they hear 'housing benefit' they run a mile. Lost count of how many classified ads Ive replied to over the last few months.

Have you tried housing association properties?

Have you tried housing association properties?

Im on the council waiting list, and the local housing association apparalentley uses this too.

Prob Ive got is that Im not currentley homeless as with mum, but I will be when she moves away in around 6 months. (For a number of reasons I need to stay in the area). When that time comes Ill prob get moved up the waiting list, but ideally I wanted to be settled somewhere before mum leaves - hence trying to find a place privately.

Been saving for well over a year, and could prob just about squeeze out the £300 admin fee. Just absolutely shocked that there are no regulations in place. In this area its pretty much pay £300 for 'admin' or you dont get a house.

Arla code of practice:

http://www.arla.co.uk/uploads/general/ARLACOP.pdf

III. The Terms of Business used by a Member Firm must be clearly presented and written in plain and intelligible language and endeavour, where

Version 9/03 6

appropriate, to take account of the implications of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations. (Members should note that standard terms or clauses or fees and charges deemed unfair by the court under these regulations are unenforceable).

Any use? Or is this only in relation to Landlord fees and the OFT v Foxtons case?

This isnt covered by UTCCR - its not fees enclosed within a contract, but fees for services provided.

This isnt covered by UTCCR - its not fees enclosed within a contract, but fees for services provided.

Doh!

Looks like Im stuck with it unless I can find a private landlord to take HB. Thanks for looking in anyway MrShed.