Attending Court on behalf of someone else

Lapchien66
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5238 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As far as I know (but don't take my word as gospel) You can attend the hearing as a mckenzie friend . However your sister will still need to attend.

As a mckenzie friend you cannot speak for her unless invited to by the judge. I have heard that if you explain to the judge that you are a mckenzie friend and that you understand the case and defence better than the LIP(your sister) then he may let you speak on her behalf. - I'm not 100% sure on this so maybe searching the forums will shed some light or maybe others with better knowledge of this can have some input.

It would be good to have something concrete on this as there are many LIP's who are petified of the thought of going to court and also look to family members/friends to help them out.

As has been pointed out you will need the court's permission to speak on behalf of another person. I understand there is usually no problem with this so your sister should make this request when the case starts. Maybe the court usher needs to know as well.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Hi L66

My sister is petrified by the thought of having to go to a set aside hearing. Can I / how can I attend the hearing in her place?

Here are a couple of threads you may find useful and/or interesting;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/195563-litigants-person-interesting-reading.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/233755-litigation-person-need-family.html

Cheers

Rob

Actually I've just realised I've misread this.

You can have someone accompany your sister but your sister will have to be present.

If she does not want to be present then she will need to engage a legally qualified person such as a solicitor or barrister to represent her.

Solicitors and barristers do not come cheap. What is it precisely that your sister is afraid of? Is she self-conscious or afraid of being ridiculed? Is she afraid of being imprisoned (she definitely won't be)? Is it just fear of the unknown?

Could I suggest that she attends the court a few times as a member of the public simply to see what happens. Just sit in the public gallery and watch what happens in other cases.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

I'd advise that your sister reads this thread from the start as it is an accurate portrayal of how life goes in a County Court.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/108467-basic-introduction-consumer-credit.html

A County Court is nothing like the Magistrates or Crown Courts or indeed most courts as depicted on the television.