House burgled - Insurance wont pay as wrong lock fitted to door!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My insurance company AXA says they won't cover my loses because I did not have a 5 lever mortice dead lock approved to BS3621 installed on the door.

I had a 3 lever sash lock and a £100 commercial key pad lock. After looking through the small print in the policy I did see where there is an endorsement (special terms and conditions) that says I must have a certain type of lock. "5 lever mortice dead lock approved to BS3621" However, I don't remember being asked about this. Even so I wouldn't know a 5 lever mortice deadlock from a Yale lock or any other type of door lock. Since my door has never had this type of lock, I essentially have never been covered. I've been paying my premiums for nothing.

Can anyone please help advise me on this.

many thanks

start the complaint ball rolling. For them to apply that endorsement they must ask about the security at your property.

Check your policy claims wording i.e theft etc "what is covered & what is not" see if there is any mention that a claim will not be paid if the said locks are not in place.

Unfortunately, I must disagree. If they sold you the policy & your policy documents include the endorsement, then it is pretty watertight - UNLESS - the burglars did not use that door to enter / exit. Then the endorsement would be non material, and they should pay the claim.

It is up to you to check the cover you have, and the expectations needed.

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

sorry your wrong, for them to assume you have certain locks and apply an endorsement which is not part of their normal T & C is a no no.

ask for the call to be checked if you were not asked security questions they should not have applied endorsements.

• 2 weeks later...

if that was the case, we would have only have to give our personal details & house details and the insurance company can make up the terms & conditions,excesses,premiums and you would only know these when your read through the policy booklet,schedule etc and then if you dont like then cancel.;).

In regards to the locks,i thought they were not allowed to only quote BS3621 as an acceptable standard?? I can remember that we had u/w updates which showed other makes of locks of european manufactur without the BS mark as an equiv or sometimes even better that were acceptable.