• Tweets

• Have we seen your court bundle?   If we haven't then it's probably an idea to post it up here especially the index page and the witness statement so we can see if there is anything which might need adding or changing 
    • "Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this?" Its pretty simple although not obvious. You open the google maps app > click your profile picture > Click Timeline from the list > click today > choose the date you want to see the timeline from. Then you'll see your timeline for that day. Often, places you have visited will have a question mark beside them where google wants you confirm you have actually visited. You either click 'yes' if you have, or you click 'edit' to enter the actual place you visited. Sometimes, you'll see 'Missing visit' This probably happens if your internet connection has dropped out at that time. You simply click 'Add visit' and enter the place. The internet on my crappy phone often loses connection so I have to do that alot.   OK dx, understood mate. 
    • I have now been given a court date vs Evri, 4th Sept 2024. I have completed my court bundle, when am I expected to send copies to the court and Evri and should it be in hard copy or electronic? The Notice of Allocation states that no later than 7 days before the directions hearing both parties must send to the other party their final offers to settle. Does this mean I will have to tell Evri what I'm willing to settle? Rgds, J
    • Ok how about this to the CEO? I know it sounds super desperate but lets call a spade a spade here, I am super desperate: Dear Sir, On 29th November 2023 I took out a loan of £5000 with you. Unfortunately very early into 2024 I found myself in financial difficulty (unexpected bills and two episodes of sickness and the tax office getting my tax code wrong resulting in less pay for two months) and I contacted you (MCB) on 13th February 2024 asking if there was any way I could extend the length of my loan to 36 months. I fully explained why I was requesting this and asked for your help. I did not receive a reply to that email so I again contacted you on 7th March 2024 to advise you of a change in my circumstances which resulted in me having to take out a DMP and asking you to confirm that the direct debit had been cancelled. You would have also received confirmation of this DMP from StepChange but you did not acknowledge receipt of my email. I have only managed to make one payment from my loan but did try and contact MCB to discuss extending my loan, help etc.  I have now therefore fallen behind on several of my debts, yours included, and as a result you have lodged a Cifas marker against my name for "evasion of payment", which has resulted in me having to change banks, which has been an extremely difficult process because of the Cifas marker. I do not feel you have been fair or given me the opportunity to fully explain my situation to you before you lodged the marker against my name. I appreciate it is a business and you have acted accordingly, but I did try to make contact to arrange alternative arrangements and at no point, not even to this day, did I ever intend to not repay my loan. I cannot stress to you enough how much this has affected my mental health. I am having trouble sleeping and my existing health condition has been exacerbated by all of this. What I would like you to do is to please, please remove the Cifas marker and let me make arrangements to pay the loan back through a DMP.  Please sir, I am begging for your help here. I am not a dishonest person and I have never been in a situation like this before. I am desperately trying to make things right but this marker is killing me. Please can you help me? I look forward to hearing from you. Yours faithfully,
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

1987 Mortgage debt - still being chased!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HELP!!!! I am at my wits end, I took out a mortgage with TSB in the late 1980's, I got to stage where I could not afford to live in the property so rented it out to the council, after about 6 months the tenant started to shirk on his responsibilities so the council did not pay me. I could not pay the mortgage & like an ididot did nothing about it. The flat was reposessed without my knowledge. after a couple of years ad passed I just thought it had all squared itself up, flat worth against mortgage due.....NO, TSB (Lloyds) are now pursuing me for 28k!! The mortgage was only £38k & the property was worth about £50k (at the time), what did they sell the property for that I still owe them £28k!!

I have never acknowledged the debt even though they have been chasing for about 4 years & issued a CCJ in 2008. My issue is, I work in the Financial Services Industry & my employers are now forcing me to aknowledge to them that the debt is mine (I could lose my job....) I'm scared if I do, I am going to be liable for the whole sum & could be jobless...all my worst nightmares at once come true... I'd rather emigrate quite frankly.

I know it was stupid of me to ignore the debt, but now I'm really up pooh creek..

Your advice would be most gratefully appreciated.

Very strange.

Don't understand how they got a CCJ against you in 2004. Did you have notice of the action against you at the time the claim was issued?

You see, after 12 years from the date of you repossession has passed (say approximately 1989-90), then the Statute of Limitations would have rendered the the contract and mortgage deed non-justiciable. i.e., by say 2002.

Who is the THEY you refer to? Is it Lloyds as the original bank or the new version of Lloyds as in the LloydsTSB, or is it a debt collector. The name of the entity that holds a CCJ is important especially if it is not the original lender.

If you are now going to try and unravel all this, the major problem is they've got a CCJ despite the fact that the Statute of Limitations rendered their claim void. But nonetheless, you're being held to ransom. Without knowing how the CCJ came to be e.g. whether you had notice, who the claimants were, when and how you found out about the CCJ etc., can say how to go about tackling this problem

It's not just your job that's on the line becuase usually they also seek to put a charge on your current house and repossess your new home. Don't mean to upset you, but that's the reality of the evilness of these people.

Your employers cannot force you to acknowledge them - there has been a breach of the data protection act if your debtor has been in contact with your employer. And it is evidence of how these banks all stick together to extort cash of us all. So you want to start asking your employer how they came to be informed of this very old "alledged" debt and you may want to do a SAR on the alledged creditor to find out who else they've (maybe unlawfully) given your information to.

The 28K will be entirely compound interest that has accrued over the intervening period. There may have been only a very small shortfall but the decade of monthly compounding interest has made it grow to £28K.

As for the emigration idea. That's my solution too...the ordinary person in this country is just a slave to the whole corrupt system of courts, banks, FSA etc. etc. they will take the drippings off the end of your nose.

The only substantive suggestion is: if they say that you owe them, ask them for ALL the documentation that evidences the alleged debt. Do it in writing, but make sure that you state clearly at the beginning of the letter that you do not acknowledge nor believe that you have any contract with them whatsoever, you expressly deny the debt that they alleged against you, and that the letter is sent expressly without any prejudice to your rights and any claims and remedies that you may assert against them.

Edited by supersleuth

Another thought, you need to arm yourself with information. So go to the Land Registry to find out (a) who they sold your property to and for how much, (b) then check for whether the property was sold on again. This information is public information now and it is relatively cheap to get copies of the documents. It really will be worth the leg-work.

During the 1987-1991 repossessions of that time, one of the scandals was the back-to-back sales. So if Lloyds "turned" the property, i.e. for a low price and then the buyer sold it on a few days later for a much higher price, you could argue that Lloyds sold the property at undervalue and that the 2nd sale was the real value, which means, that there was no shortfall and therefore the deed was fully satisfied. Did you follow that? It may be worth a shot because the banks frequently engaged in this fraudulent activity and it was rife in the early 90's.

It might even turn out that they owe you money with monthly compound interest!

Very strange.

Don't understand how they got a CCJ against you in 2004. Did you have notice of the action against you at the time the claim was issued?

You see, after 12 years from the date of you repossession has passed (say approximately 1989-90), then the Statute of Limitations would have rendered the the contract and mortgage deed non-justiciable. i.e., by say 2002.

Who is the THEY you refer to?

If you are now going to try and unravel all this, the major problem is they've got a CCJ despite the fact that the Statute of Limitations rendered their claim void. But nonetheless, you're being held to ransom. Without knowing how the CCJ came to be e.g. whether you had notice, who the claimants were, when and how you found out about the CCJ etc., can say how to go about tackling this problem

Your employers cannot force you to acknowledge them

The 28K will be entirely compound interest that has accrued over the intervening period. There may have been only a very small shortfall but the decade of monthly compounding interest has made it grow to £28K.

The only substantive suggestion is: if they say that you owe them, ask them for ALL the documentation that evidences the alleged debt. Do it in writing, but make sure that you state clearly at the beginning of the letter that you do not acknowledge nor believe that you have any contract with them whatsoever, you expressly deny the debt that they alleged against you, and that the letter is sent expressly without any prejudice to your rights and any claims and remedies that you may assert against them.

Hi, Sorry for late response & many thanks for yor mail, here are some answers:-

The Mortgage was taken out in Aug '90 / Repossesion was Nov 96, they say the property was sold for £25k, the mortgage outstanding was £42.9k, the interest is running at 8% PA

Not sure about the notice of action, I have moved at least 5 times since I was at the property, so if I did, I never recevied anything,

I found out about the debt in 2006 (approximately) after being chased by a Manchester debt collector, when I did not respond they must have gone back to Lloyds who then took out the CCJ

my employers did a 'background check' on me when they employed me (new security rules so they say...) & this materialised. I also thought they did not have a leg to stand on, but I know better now..

The Mortgage was with TSB bank Plc, the CCJ is with Lloyds Bank Plc.... very strange

I have never acknowledged the debt because I knews that would get me into even deeper water without a solicitor...which would have made it twice as bad.

Jesus! 28k of interest.... WTF....can they really do that?? Do you think they are just trying to see what they can get using scare mongering of the little guy tactics. So you really think my current property is at stake?It really is time to take my head out of the sand & tackle this once & for all, I'll try to draft a letter over the weekend & forward to them on your advice

Thanks for the advice re: the Land registry details too, I will indeed have a look, any money I can get back will be les money I owe in the long run. I'll ask get onto that right now

Many thanks again

Edited by inspectorgadget

Do you know when the last payment was made on the mortgage and also what was the date of the CCJ ?

It sounds as if they got the CCJ by default as you didn't respond to the court claim - did they have your new address after the repossession?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Your 50K flat sold for £25K - yeah right...in addition to the guidance that Ellen will give you, I strongly recommend that you go to the Land Registry to see if there was a back-to-back sale of your property - could almost guarantee that there was! Whilst the first sale may have been for 25K, there most likely would have been a further sale for say £50K. The mortgagee is under a fiduciary duty to sell for a market price and therefore, if there was a futher sale, as I strongly suspect for say market value at e.g. £50K, then they would owe you £8.5K plus interest.

Therefore, in addition to Ellen's guidance it is also really is worth your while checking out with the Land REgistry what sales were executed within the years 1996 - 1997.

The Mortgage was taken out in Aug '90 / Repossesion was Nov 96, they say the property was sold for £25k, the mortgage outstanding was £42.9k, the interest is running at 8% PA

Not sure about the notice of action, I have moved at least 5 times since I was at the property, so if I did, I never recevied anything,

I found out about the debt in 2006 (approximately) after being chased by a Manchester debt collector, when I did not respond they must have gone back to Lloyds who then took out the CCJ

my employers did a 'background check' on me when they employed me (new security rules so they say...) & this materialised. I also thought they did not have a leg to stand on, but I know better now..

The Mortgage was with TSB bank Plc, the CCJ is with Lloyds Bank Plc.... very strange

I have never acknowledged the debt because I knews that would get me into even deeper water without a solicitor...which would have made it twice as bad.

Jesus! 28k of interest.... WTF....can they really do that?? Do you think they are just trying to see what they can get using scare mongering of the little guy tactics. So you really think my current property is at stake?It really is time to take my head out of the sand & tackle this once & for all, I'll try to draft a letter over the weekend & forward to them on your advice

Thanks for the advice re: the Land registry details too, I will indeed have a look, any money I can get back will be les money I owe in the long run. I'll ask get onto that right now

Many thanks again

Mortgage Aug 90

When did you default

When was CCJ obtained (was it within 12 years of default)

Sorry Ell-en great minds think alike:D

Edited by JonCris
Wrong mortgage start date

Hi Inspectorgadget,

Just to clarify..the point is, that if your lender did engage in the back-to-back selling of your property, and did really sell for say, 50K, then would not be a question of "less money you owe in the long run", it means that you owe no money at all! You see, if there was really no shortfall, then there was no shortfall on which interest accrued, which means the you may have a complete defence (if you can show there was a back-to-back sale and therefore a breach of fiduciary duty).

Plus, it means that say the surplus, i.e. £8.5K that was owed to you, but not paid to you, would have attracted compound interest at the contractual rate. Thus, it could turn out that they owe YOU £28K or more!. All this of course is dependent on your finding out the facts from the Land Registry. As I said before, the lenders regularly engaged in this back-to-back selling fraud during that period of repossessions. You just need to find out if you too, were a victim of that crime.

Did You Make Any Acknowledgement On This Shortfall Or Make Any Payments Between

15/11/96 And

15/11/2008

Nice thing about the snow..I get to work from home :)

Thanks for your responses, I have made no acknowledgement of the debt whatsoever even to this date. I just feel nowI should tackle this thing head on as its causing me undue stress...:mad:

Your 50K flat sold for £25K - yeah right...in addition to the guidance that Ellen will give you, I strongly recommend that you go to the Land Registry - then they would owe you £8.5K plus interest.

Therefore, in addition to Ellen's guidance it is also really is worth your while checking out with the Land REgistry what sales were executed within the years 1996 - 1997.

I will indeed check out the land registry over this coming weekend, its worth it if I can throw this back on them, It would be a nice surprise if it appreciated in value even in such bad times (that was the height of the last recession)

Do you know when the last payment was made on the mortgage and also what was the date of the CCJ ?

It sounds as if they got the CCJ by default as you didn't respond to the court claim - did they have your new address after the repossession?

Hi, I think the last payment was made in 1994, bu to be truthful, I could not guarantee thatas I have discarded all of my TSB documents... a bit silly of me. I never gave them my new address, I suspect they got it from the electorial register or from one ofthe credit reference agencies as they track your adresses don't they?

Date Of Repo

15/11/96

Add 12 Years

15/11/2008

Ok When Was The Last Cause Of Action, That Is Made A Payment To This Mortage Account

Hi again, as last said, not 100% sure when the last payment was made, I said end of 1994, but sayingthat though it must have been after this as they woyuld not have waited 2 years to repossess... I would never be able to find this out unless I asked for copies of them frm Lloyds TSB.

Well You Would Be Able To

You Need To Do An Sar On Lloyds

You Need To Tell Them The Account Is Live And The Statute Of Limitations Start 6 Years From The Date Of The Ccj So The Age Of The Account Is Irelevent

You Require All Statements In The Sar To Be Released

Request That They Must Include Full Statements Up To The Default/termination Notice

Well You Would Be Able To

You Need To Do An Sar On Lloyds

You Need To Tell Them The Account Is Live And The Statute Of Limitations Start 6 Years From The Date Of The Ccj So The Age Of The Account Is Irelevent

You Require All Statements In The Sar To Be Released

Request That They Must Include Full Statements Up To The Default/termination Notice

Hi, many thanks again, this is all new unchartered territory for me & I am glad for the navigation assistance, do I write to the address on the CCJ which is Gloucester GL4 3RL?

As far as I am aware County Court Judgements are not constrained by the Limitations Act. However, if there has been a long time between the CCJ being granted and the claimant pressing for money then the court may request a hearing to determine why they have waited so long.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.