summons for council tax

izzitme101
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5263 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys.

Just today got a court sumkons for council tax which i can prove i have paid.

Couple of questions i have, the council area im under are well known around for issuing summons to people that have paid and are up to date, i know of 4 not including myself now.

Question is, when i turn up and defend it, will they still be liable to pay my costs?

Reason i ask is that i only recently started a new job, and have no holiday time to take off, and i cant afford unpaid time off.

question everything!

Just a suggestion, not sure if its right or not.

But how about writing to the council and enclosing your proof and suggesting they discontinue the court action as there is no case to answer.

Surely it would then save you all the hassle of meeting deadlines and worrying about all the form filling

oh i will be doing that when they get back next monday, unfortunately the person on their end is rather stubborn, and ive seen 3 cases go to the court even when provided with all the proof.

Needles to say the judges laughed it out.

Just wanted to check things

question everything!

I personally would escalate this to a complaint to the council then. I would be writing to your local MP especially if this person is wasting council money on cases that have already been paid.

In another life I worked for the local council when it was 'Rates', shows how long ago. But then if someone got onto their local MP and they started dealing with a case, everyone had to fall over themselves to deal with it.

You can find out who yours is by ringing the council :D. This is a waste of the council tax money

• 2 weeks later...

ok well i phoned the council today, and they claimed they have sent me reminders and cancellation letters, none of which i have received.

i wa tols on the phone they went out because its an automated system and it isnt their fault i didnt receive them.

I need a case if possible that computer generated letters doesnt prove that ive received them, as theyr insisting ive got to pay the costs even tho we sorted out the payments on whats left of the bill.

can anyone point me in a direction anywhere? or is it not worth fighting?

question everything!