Waiting for redundancy cheque

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5258 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks, just a quick question/gripe.

I have worked for a major company for the last 10 years but the last 2 years has been hell on earth with harrasment and bullying plus ive got a disability, then they announced the consultation and 50 jobs going :).

I was delighted to have my Voluntary redundancy request accepted last week and I signed on the dotted line last thursday morning, at the meeting they had the form and my letter ready printed but did not have my cheque? I asked for the cheque asap as it would have been nice to get that banked for christmas! The HR Lady suggested that she might be able to raise it tomorow when the correct person was on site to sign it, but failing that she would give me a call sometime the following week to collect it. So here I am half way through that next week almost and 3 days away from christmas without a bean to my name, how frustrating!!!

I feel so frustrated they are making me wait like this for the cheque and I have almost convinced myself that the ass's are delibratley dragging there feet as one last GOODBYE!.

Does anybody know if this sort of thing is a common practice when it comes to redundancy payments and also are there any rules governing this kind of thing. My Redundancy letter states that my final day with the company will be 20th Dec 2009 and that I will recieve my cheque following my final day.

Many thanks

P.S

Feel like ringing HR up rite now and dropping a bomb but I dont have any to load onto my corporate bomber!!

Edited by will lliw

Was your wages paid directly into your bank account?

if so then your redundancy pay should be too. theirs no reason as to why they should be paying you by cheaque. If i was you i would go there and make a massive fuss about it, as am certain someone their has the authority to sign cheaques or send payments out. Sometimes a bit of personaly face to face commnication gets things sorted out alot more quickly. But whatever you do do not lose your temper and refrain from being abusive.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Was your wages paid directly into your bank account?

if so then your redundancy pay should be too. theirs no reason as to why they should be paying you by cheaque. If i was you i would go there and make a massive fuss about it, as am certain someone their has the authority to sign cheaques or send payments out. Sometimes a bit of personaly face to face commnication gets things sorted out alot more quickly. But whatever you do do not lose your temper and refrain from being abusive.

Thanks for the reply Teaboy, mines milk and 2 sugars cheers ;)

I get paid monthly and my last pay will be Tomorow 23rd. HEre's the letter in full rather tham me trying to explain all of this.....

Dear XXXX

Following your request for voluntary redundancy I am now able to confirm that your request has been accepted. Your notice period is 10 weeks. You will be paid compensation for loss of office which is detailed in the redundancy package below.

Your redundancy package will be made up as follows:

Statutory redundancy pay £xxxx

Company top up £xxxx

Service related pay £xxxx

Total redundancy pay £xxxx

Compensation for loss of office £xxxx

Compensation for loss of benefits £xxxx

Total compensation £xxxx

Your final day with the company will be 20th Decemeber 2009. You will recieve your redundancy payment by cheque following your final day with the company. Under inland revenue rules redundancy payments made to an individual once they have left the company up to a maximum of £30,000 are paid tax free.

Please ensure that the postal address on top of this letter is correct so that we can be sure that the cheque will reach you.

You will be paid any outstanding monies owed to you on 23rd Decemebr 2009. Your P45 will follow from the central payroll dept after your final pyament has been made.

I would like to wish you well for the future

Thanks for the reply Teaboy, mines milk and 2 sugars cheers ;)

I get paid monthly and my last pay will be Tomorow 23rd. HEre's the letter in full rather tham me trying to explain all of this.....

Right well they do say it will be paid to you on the 23rd, so am assuming thats they day the cheaque will be written and then posted to you. But given the cmas post chances are you wont get it till after xmas. So if i was you i would head down to the office and ask them to hand the cheaque to you. Dont leave it too late in the day as the later you leave it the more likley it is for them to have posted it already.

So if you go down their and ask for it, then come back and let us know if you got it or not.

P.s am out of milk sorry lol :D

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I would love to go down there and make a fuss but I dont think I would get past security as I am no longer an employee as of 20th Dec???

well in that case phone up prior to going down there.

well in that case phone up prior to going down there.

Yeah I just phoned and to be honest I am amazed at what was said in a "not really you should have known that was the attitude kinda way"....

Basicly the telephone conversation went like this:

names changed for obvious reasons...

Ring ring,

ME: Hello, is that Jane (My HR contact)

JANE: Yes

ME: Hi how are you?

JANE: I'm good thanks how are you?

ME: I'm ok thanks, but I was hoping for a nice little suprise in the post by now.

JANE: Yeah, I couldnt give you the cheque before your last day anyway sorry.

ME: I kinda figured that one out, but you implied you could and would try at the meeting last week.

JANE: Key people who are the only ones who can sign the cheque are very difficult to get hold of, they are like gods.

ME: Well thats the companys problem right there isnt it, head people walking around believing they are gods, but I dont see any miracles going on.

JANE:Yeah lol, I will try and get it signed for you today as the relevant "GOD" is in this afternoon.

ME: Well thankyou, and if that could happen before 3pm so I can bank it then that would be great.

JANE: I will see what I can do.

ME: Thankyou, I appreciate your help.

End of call.

So there you have it, confirmation that those in positions of power believe they are gods and can play with the honest folk to there hearts content. I am going down there at 2pm and I may well just have myself a sit in untill this god decides to show his face and perform a miracle for me :-x!!!

Yeah I just phoned and to be honest I am amazed at what was said in a "not really you should have known that was the attitude kinda way"....

Basicly the telephone conversation went like this:

names changed for obvious reasons...

Ring ring,

ME: Hello, is that Jane (My HR contact)

JANE: Yes

ME: Hi how are you?

JANE: I'm good thanks how are you?

ME: I'm ok thanks, but I was hoping for a nice little suprise in the post by now.

JANE: Yeah, I couldnt give you the cheque before your last day anyway sorry.

ME: I kinda figured that one out, but you implied you could and would try at the meeting last week.

JANE: Key people who are the only ones who can sign the cheque are very difficult to get hold of, they are like gods.

ME: Well thats the companys problem right there isnt it, head people walking around believing they are gods, but I dont see any miracles going on.

JANE:Yeah lol, I will try and get it signed for you today as the relevant "GOD" is in this afternoon.

ME: Well thankyou, and if that could happen before 3pm so I can bank it then that would be great.

JANE: I will see what I can do.

ME: Thankyou, I appreciate your help.

End of call.

So there you have it, confirmation that those in positions of power believe they are gods and can play with the honest folk to there hearts content. I am going down there at 2pm and I may well just have myself a sit in untill this god decides to show his face and perform a miracle for me :-x!!!

lol has to be one of the more unsual conversations ive read about, but atleast you got an answer. so i would do the same if i was in your shoes and go down their to collect now that they have said they will try get it signed today. Hopefully just your presence their will make them sign it.

P.S i can lend you a chain and padlock if you need to take more extreme measures such as chaining yourself to the gate or doors lol

lol has to be one of the more unsual conversations ive read about, but atleast you got an answer. so i would do the same if i was in your shoes and go down their to collect now that they have said they will try get it signed today. Hopefully just your presence their will make them sign it.

P.S i can lend you a chain and padlock if you need to take more extreme measures such as chaining yourself to the gate or doors lol

Lol thanks teaboy, gunna be a bit chilly so gunna need planty of hot bevergae, would appreciate if you wouldnt mind nipping to the conrner shop on your way down here to get the milk!! :wink:

Lol thanks teaboy, gunna be a bit chilly so gunna need planty of hot bevergae, would appreciate if you wouldnt mind nipping to the conrner shop on your way down here to get the milk!! :wink:

lol certainly am on my way, or how about some scotch or whisky? :D

lol certainly am on my way, or how about some scotch or whisky? :D

I'm so angry with this carry on, why do they (the self proclaimed gods who "run" this business) have to be such frustrating assholes. My expectations are reasonable I think, I just want my redundancy cheque that was falsly promised last Thursday!!!

Rite now Im ready to burn the factory down to the ground but not before I rip the head off the frustraters and bullys of this "enetrprise". Obviously a fantasy but a bloody nice one at the minute!!!

I have made two trips down to HR today, trip 1 at 2pm to find a notice on door saying they are closed for a meeting untill 4pm. I return at 4:10pm and told by "Jane" "I have your cheque but still waiting for it to be signed". I was so angry I just walked out slambing the door firmly behind me, half way to my car I nearly about turn to cause a scene but manage to control myself. Who issues a cheque without signing it?

Im starting to think im going to charge them interest at 8% for everyday more I have to wait for my cheque! I wonder has anybody ever tried this before?

I'm so angry with this carry on, why do they (the self proclaimed gods who "run" this business) have to be such frustrating assholes. My expectations are reasonable I think, I just want my redundancy cheque that was falsly promised last Thursday!!!

Rite now Im ready to burn the factory down to the ground but not before I rip the head off the frustraters and bullys of this "enetrprise". Obviously a fantasy but a bloody nice one at the minute!!!

I have made two trips down to HR today, trip 1 at 2pm to find a notice on door saying they are closed for a meeting untill 4pm. I return at 4:10pm and told by "Jane" "I have your cheque but still waiting for it to be signed". I was so angry I just walked out slambing the door firmly behind me, half way to my car I nearly about turn to cause a scene but manage to control myself. Who issues a cheque without signing it?

Im starting to think im going to charge them interest at 8% for everyday more I have to wait for my cheque! I wonder has anybody ever tried this before?

Hi Will lliw

i totally agree with you in regards to who issues a cheque without signing it. I know that i myself being an owner of a company would not allow anyone to issue or write out a cheque unless they were authorised to sign it, so i dont see how they can have access to the cheque book unless they were authurised signatories themselves. From a legal point of few, yes you can charge them 8% interest between the date they were suppose to have paid you and the date you eventually receive your payment. However you would need to notify them in writing first, stating your intent as such. Weather they pay you the interest on top is another matter though.

I suspect that since this jane said she had your cheque that it is now in the post to you, which isnt of much good to you considering the time delay due to xmas post, resulting in further delay of you receiving what is rightfully owed to you. So all you can do now is wait for the cheque in the post, but given 2nd class is deemed 4 working days before it is deemed served in a legal perspective, then if you have not received it within 4 working days then it will be time to start upping the preassure on them from a legal perspective, in which ill be more than happy to help you with.

So if you havent received it in 4 working days, let me know and ill help you with upping the pressure on them from a legal perspective. Dont forget they are contratually obliged to pay you and as such if they fail to pay you what is owed to you then they will be in serious breach of your contract of employment along with in breach of the employment rights act, Both of which you can take them to court or tribunal for.

And dont worry ive got plenty of milk for the teas and plenty of scotch and whisky in to keep us going through out lol :D

Hi Teaboy, great reply you've definitely cheered me up alot with that Kbam of action and the possibility of a beverage binge to mark the start of 2010!! :).

didn't get any post today :mad: I suspect it may arrive in the post tomorrow, not actually sure if there is a post Xmas eve tbh but anyway its to late now for Christmas and I think thats what the "Gods" wanted as a final parting swipe. I also have started to wonder if they may even try to frustrate me further by not sending the cheque until my notice period ends in 9 weeks or so. My letter posted above did not specify a date to be paid by but simply said: "You will receive your redundancy payment by cheque following your final day with the company"

Ayhow, I will gladly take your offer of assistance with gratitude and will up the stakes by committing to see you half way on the biscuit fund!!!

Lets see what turns up tomorrow :-|

Hi Will lliw

There is post today as i got some mail myself, so did you get the cheque at all this morning or is your post normally delivered later in the day?

Hi Will lliw

There is post today as i got some mail myself, so did you get the cheque at all this morning or is your post normally delivered later in the day?

Morning!

Plenty of post today including 3 identical bills form BT lol but no cheque in post. However, I was rudely awoken at 11:16 by a diffrent Jane from HR to let me know my cheque is ready and waiting to be collected. So I now have my cheque in hand which is a great relief I can tell you but I cant see it clearing this side of newyear which is a shame. Incedently the cheque is initialy dated for 16 Dec in blue pen but this has been crossed out with black pen and redated for 23 Dec. Very strange..

Have agreat christmas Teaboy and everyone, might be back later today if not will catch up with you in a day or two.

I hope that the cheque does not bounce as it seems stranger for them to issue a cheque. When I go made redundant it was paid direct into my account within days.

I do not want to sound negative but whatever you do, don't rely on it and only draw the funds after it has been in your account for a minimum of 6 days unless you know that the company is rock solid and financially stable.

If they do go bust in the meantime, at least you can still get your redundancy pay.

I hope that the cheque does not bounce as it seems stranger for them to issue a cheque. When I go made redundant it was paid direct into my account within days.

I do not want to sound negative but whatever you do, don't rely on it and only draw the funds after it has been in your account for a minimum of 6 days unless you know that the company is rock solid and financially stable.

If they do go bust in the meantime, at least you can still get your redundancy pay.

Hi will lliw

The above is sound advice as i think its strange for themt o pay you by cheque and not straight into your bank. However fingers cross it doesnt bounce, but am not certain about weather or not the change in dates will have an effect or not. At least you have the cheque now and hopefully it slcears in time for new year for you although it will be pushing it a bit.

You have a great xmas too Will lliw.