• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Daughter's university dilemma.... what would you do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Top Stuff P1,

I am so happy for you and your Daughter.

Well done to little P1

:-D

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

my daughter is on year 3 of her degree and has struggled living away from home but wouldnt have it any other way and only asks us for money if they really have nothing left to eat which how can u say no and next year my youngest goes and i think it will be making of her cos right now mum and dad do everything for her money wise think she will get a shock doing things herself but it might make her value what we have done for her over the years who knows xxxkia

Wishing your daughter all the very best P1 - and very well done on the scholarship front!

Our son has just graduated with a 2:1 and having originally been unhappy with his uni (despite getting into his first choice) he managed to survive the three years 200 miles away from home and hold his relationship with his GF together although they were over 100 miles apart.......(they've been together since his 16th birthday) that's true love for you :-)

Apart from anything else he's far more mature and able to cope with what the world throws at him that his Dad and I were at that age. We are very proud of him as you too will be when your daughter graduates in a few years time!

Landy x

Thanks for all your stories :-).... I'm hoping not to feel too sad when she goes off in 3 weeks time (approx), although it will feel strange at home without her. This will be a new chapter in her life and the experience of having to juggle her own money will be a good learning curve for her. She's not currently in love with anyone here, so there's no pressure to keep a relationship going Landy.... your son and his gf must have been very committed, which is lovely in this day and age.. :-)

There's no chance of her buying a guitar Cymru....clothes are my major worry where she's concerned!!

Sorry you couldn't complete your degree BB... have you looked into the Open University?

:-)

I found Tesco home delivery was a great way to help out, so mine got food parcels rather than cash usually, then I knew where the money was going, LOL.

...Although I suspect I was feeding all the housemates too!

What a fantastic idea!!! Why did I not think of that?.... lol!!! :-)

P1, thanks for that, but I do have another degree :) Will get this one finished ASAP. Uni have been great and suspended my studies rather than write me off :)

That's good to hear BB.... I hope you pick it up again when you feel stronger :-)

That's great BB :-)

My daughter had to take a few months time out due to illness (she's asthmatic) and has had really good support from the Uni too.

xx

My daughter is asthmatic... although she hasn't had any symptoms for ages now (touch wood) and is off her inhalers (GP agreed). She was classed as "chronic asthmatic" as a child and had a nightmare time with it back then; in and out of hospital, missing school, etc. As time went on, I learned that her triggers were stress, changes in the weather from summer to autumn... and 'flu.

We've stayed aware of all of these over the years.... The stress was caused by her dad when she was a little girl because he was volatile, so that's no longer an issue, although exam stress brought her out in hives all over last year which was horrendous!

It makes a huge difference when you get the support you need and I'm glad your daughter got that from her uni. Elsa... :-)

We must have led parallel lives P1 ! Same thing when she was young, her dad was terminally ill and had bad mood swings.

She's actually due to have the baby tomorrow (my main fear is an asthma attack but the natural steroids produced in childbirth tend to prevent it, thankfully).

No signs yet though apart from occasional cramps. :| Plus she's 80 miles away so my ears are sore from sitting on the phone for hours keeping her spirits up, LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Morning P1 :-D

Yep I'm now officially in the Grandma Club! Little boy born Thursday, absolutely beautiful :-D

It's great your daughter's got a nice place..some are a bit iffy. If she went down with 2 car loads of stuff she'll come home at the end with 4 LOL.

Elsa x

Yay!!! Congratulations!!! :whoo: Are you gonna be Nanny or Granny?

Yes, I thought yesterday that my daughter might be coming back home with a trailer.... lol! :|

I missed this thread, so my post may not be too much help now... but here goes:

There will be pros and cons with each option - If you live at home you will have to consider transport and the costs that involves. I had to get up at 6am and be at Uni for 8am in order to get parked. My Lectures often did not start at 10am. By the time I had finished one lecture, I was knackered. By the time I got home - sometimes this was about 6pm, I would be considering going to bed rather than going through notes etc.

Social interaction is very important also. More so for some degrees than others. Its not all about parties etc - but about getting involved in university societies and clubs. Law students, for example, will want to become involved in the Law Society. This will provide chances to take part in competitions etc - very good for the CV! However taking an active part will be very hard if you live away from campus.

Also, unless the university has a good digital library, one may find it difficult to study at home away from the Uni library.

As I said, I lived at home. I was fine - you just have to live life a little differently from your fellow students who live on campus!

Ah.. bless you.... thank you for your post. :-)

My daughter was on an Art Foundation course at the local college before going off yesterday, so I can relate to what you're saying about getting up early, getting a parking space and lecturers not coming in, etc. She absolutely hated the course for all kinds of reasons and the amount of time wasted going back and forth really didn't help. The Degree course would have been held at the same place; but linked to the uni. If it had been on the actual uni. sight, her decision might have been different but she decided to go off and I'm now very glad that she has.

We heard about the societies and different things you can get involved with when she went up for her interview and she needs to be an ambassador for the uni. as a condition for getting the scholarship, so it's all good. :-)