paying for internet that cant access

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my mother in law has recently changed broadband provider from post office to talk talk, but since then has been unable to connect to internet, she thought it was something she wasn't doing right, and after a month of frustration, contacted talk talk, only to be told then that her operating system, win 98, was not compatible, but talk talk have said that this is her problem and she will need to update OS to enable access to internet. As mother in law is single and not in a position to spend money on new computer or OS she feels she is now left with contract she can't use or get out of. Help appreciated.

Never mind, it could be raining!

go see a local pc guy.

win98 can be made to work with any connection

all you need is the usb driver

see MT882 USB Driver - The TalkTalk Members Forums

comeback with the problem if no go.

dx

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I can't believe I'm going to say this but I'm afraid in this instance Talk-talk would be in the right. :shock:

It is one's responsability not to enter into a contract without first checking that one will be able to use the service. It's like buying a Porsche when living in a swamp: You can buy it, you may even be able to store it, but you'll never be able to use it. ;-)

I hope DX is right and the PC can be modified, if not, it will have to be an upgrade (which I would recommend anyway, 98 is absolute pants, you might want to see if you can get her a cheap copy of XP for xmas... ;-))

PS: If the PC is over 10 yeard old, it may well be that it will struggle with the technology anyway, depending on what the specs were in the first place...

How can XP be 10 years old???

Windows 98 - well, 1998...

Then there was Windows 2000 (which didn't last long, lol)

So surely the maximum XP would be is 9 yrs old??? :razz:

Im just quoting the bumpf that MS use in persueding people to upgrade.

my mother in law has recently changed broadband provider from post office to talk talk, but since then has been unable to connect to internet, she thought it was something she wasn't doing right, and after a month of frustration, contacted talk talk, only to be told then that her operating system, win 98, was not compatible, but talk talk have said that this is her problem and she will need to update OS to enable access to internet. As mother in law is single and not in a position to spend money on new computer or OS she feels she is now left with contract she can't use or get out of. Help appreciated.

Find out what hardware they've sent her (router / modem) and let us know which it is. Although their installation CD won't work on '98, you don't need it, I can talk you thrugh the installation. (It may be a little long-winded but I'll post the instrustions once I know which router / modem she has, so if you can print my instrustions out it'll make things quicker.)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

TalkTalk Help & Support - Setting up your D-Link DSL-2640R

Setting up your D-Link DSL-2640R

Before you begin, please ensure that your modem router is connected to your computer using the supplied Ethernet cable and switched on. Then follow the steps below to set up your broadband connection.

To set up your D-Link DSL-2640R, take the following steps:

1.Open a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, type http://192.168.1.1 into the Address bar and press Enter on the keyboard.

2.Enter the username and password and click OK.

Note: The default username and password are both admin (this is case-sensitive).

3.Enter your TalkTalk username in the Username box, and enter your password in the Password box.

Note: Your username is usually your broadband telephone number, followed by @talktalk.net. For example, [email protected]. Your username and password can be found in your welcome letter. Alternatively, you can call our free, automated service at any time of the day or night on 0870 0875 562. This service will give you your correct details. You must call it from your TalkTalk landline.

4.If you do not wish to connect to the internet wirelessly, please skip to step 7. If you intend to connect wirelessly, tick the box labelled Enable Wireless (Optional) and continue with the steps below.

5.Enter a name for your network in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box. This is the name that your wireless modem router will broadcast, so enter something that is recognisable to you. It's important not to enter any personal details.

6.Enter a password in the Wireless Network Password box. The password should be at least eight characters long, and can be a maximum of 63 characters. Take a note of this password, as you will need it to connect other wireless devices to your network.

7.Click Connect.

Your D-Link DSL-2640R modem router is now set up to connect to the internet via a wired connection. To test your connection, open a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, and try to access a website

Hope that helps.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Much appreciation locutus,

I shall sort it out for the mother in law tomorrow,

and I know she will thank you.

she was told today that she would have to pay £70 to get it sorted out for her by talk talk.

I'm not sure what the deal was they offered, but mother in law is not as pc as most, and the details do tend to go over her head.

Saying that, she has paid for 2 months internet access, and couldn't even connect to talk talk alone.

I'll let you know how I get on, thanks

TOTN

Much appreciation locutus,

I shall sort it out for the mother in law tomorrow,

and I know she will thank you.

she was told today that she would have to pay £70 to get it sorted out for her by talk talk.

I'm not sure what the deal was they offered, but mother in law is not as pc as most, and the details do tend to go over her head.

Saying that, she has paid for 2 months internet access, and couldn't even connect to talk talk alone.

I'll let you know how I get on, thanks

TOTN

Yeah, get her to create a CAG account and join us here :p If you read this TOTN mum, you're very welcome :)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

urm..he prints it out before going around there............

dx

and they

windows xp was actually released 2 months after windows 2000 after MS realised they mad made a major fluff. The same as Vista they went created it from complete scratch now they have noticed that and released MS 7 with the upgrades everyone asked for on XP which makes sense, not sure how a company like MS can make that sort of mistake personally i just see it boils down to raking in the $ lol

Windows 2000 was released February 2000

Windows Millenium Edition was released September 2000

Windows XP was released October 2001

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Bump... did your mother get connected TOTN?

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Mother in law has been away all weekend, but she has got me booked in for 5.30 tomorrow, so I will be posting back to let you know soon after, maybe even from her computer, fingers crossed.

cheers locutus.

Re-bump :p

to

C.A.G. Toolbar