Disputed Unpaid Car Inns Premium Passed To Debt Collectors

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5315 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, really need some help please...

*2 years ago i received a renewal notice from my insurers to renew my car insurance, the insured car was kept on my private driveway and had'nt been driven since i had moved to a job with a company car.

*I informed the insurers by telephone that i did not wish to renew, case closed or so i thought...

*No premium had been taken by direct debit, then 8 mths later took a call from insurers saying due to THEIR admin error the premium had not been requested and i needed to pay up!

*Lots of threatening calls and letters later - i stuck to my guns stating the insurance was cancelled - they finally went away, last contact was sep 08.

*1 year later - I have just received a debt collection agency letter stating i owe the insurer the full premium amount, and pay up within 7 days - feeling very bullied now as they are threatening court action any help would be gratefully received!

Don't worry and don't be bullied. A disputed debt cannot legally be passed on to a debt collector. So write to the debt collector and simply say the amount is in dispute and to refer the matter back to their client i.e. the insurance company; send it signed for - send everything signed for.

Then write to your insurer and say they have broken the law by passing a disputed debt to a debt collection agency and you will be reporting them to the FSA. Also say something along the following lines:

I absolutely deny your claim that the amount claimed, or any amount at all, is due to you from me.

I will rigorously defend any claim against me in the county court and further demand that you issue court proceedings within 14 days or desist from any further contact with me.I will regard any further contact from you or associated parties as harassment and report you to the authorities for criminal behaviour under section 1 of the Malicious Communications Act 1998, section 1 (d) of The Administration of Justice Act 1970, and section 2 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

Let them stick that in their pipe and smoke it ! Good luck.

Oh yeah, debt collectors threaten court much more then they take someone to court; threatening costs nothing but they are reluctant to go to court and even if they did you should win.

Edited by Ed Gasket
thought of something else

Thankyou for the reply ed gasket, have sent a letter to the dca signed for.

Does anyone know what proof an innsurance company would have to submit to prove the client had'nt cancelled? I had asked them to check back to our telephone conversation when i cancelled which i presumed they would have on record, they say they do not have this surprise surprise! I have also asked them for paperwork to prove i owe this money which they ignore.

Hi,

Do you have any proof that you called to cancel i.e an itemised bill?

It's very easy for insurance co's to have no record of any call however if it's one of the larger co's it's also unusual at the same time!

Do you have any proof of the following, In my experaince some insurers will waive costs and give the benefit of the doubt to the following -

Did you declare the car off road? ( i.e SORN) or have you taxed the car since?

has anyone else ( or yourself) insured the car since

Did you return your certificate of motor insurance?