Kirby vacuum cleaner scam

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4847 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Unfortunately, you are not differentiating sufficiently - like Tupperware, Kirby is a good product (if you have the muscles). I agree that deceptive sales techniques are not on - BUT, this thread was introduced as the 'Kirby [problem]' - which it was not. Perhaps the salesman was acting contrary to law - in which case, it is the salesman that carries the can, not the manufacturer.

I have been present at 3 'selling' sessions for a Kirby, 2 were flawless (if intense), the third was laughable - it was a thinly disguised strongarm process to upsell everything. However, when reviewing the techniques later, the potential customer responded to questions about the sales process mostly erroneously - making claims that the salesman said this or that, when if fact the assertions were incorrect/ There WERE misleading elements, but these were not complained of.

These sales visits are heavy on the information, and it is a lot to take in, especiall for those not in the flush of early middle-age. Who should you believe? The consumer way well feel 'sold to' and probably misled, but were they? Who are you to say based on an unwitnessed exchange? You would require verifiable proof before an UTCC enforcement could be contemplated, but lets not kid ourselves, TS will not be waiting to take all these complaints at face value and prosecute. They don't have the money, and save for a few token centralised actions for publicity, the law is there but not a real threat.

Businesses themselves are probably honest - it is the sales tem that the problems come from (look at the utilities switch selling and the rest). As for the 'free lunch' scenario - (free gift) this is always conditional. It won;t be in the headline, but form the basis of the deal. FREE holiday voucher, in exchange for me showing you how good the Kirby/Power Washer/Steam Cleaner is an ending household drudge. YOU only want the gift, but you get sucked in and buy the product. Whose fault is that? The salesman? I don't thins so!

• 4 months later...

Kirby are funny the way they offer a free carpet clean... and then stay parked for 4 hours in your front room... My wife was chuffed when she thought her carpet was going to be cleaned for free and then they only cleaned half the carpet and told her that was it... I fell over laughing. Then the salesman promised us 1 years free credit if we bought the Kirby for £1000.00... My wife signed up and was stunned when she recieved a credit agreement with extremely high interest rates. She threatened them with legal action for misselling finance and they made a deal with the finance company on our behalf so that we could pay it off in one payment with no interest.

What I would say is that Kirbys are very well made... They are very solid and it just keeps going, it never gives us any problems and it keeps the house spotless. It is a great machine... however because it is solid, it is also very heavy... and my wife refuses to do any hoovering... The stairs are a nightmare to do, even with the hose attachment.

guess who does the hoovering... yes that's right ol' muggins here..

It is a good Hoover though and we have had it now for 6 years. previously we got through 3 very well known branded hoovers in the same period of time... so I'm happyish.... just not happy with having to be the one who hoovers all the time.

• 1 month later...

I can't believe the messages I've just been reading about the Kirby cleaner [problem], as they're almost word for word what happened when my 82 year old mother was telephoned to say that she'd won a carpet clean in a competition she couldn't remember entering.

Fortunately she asked me to be present when the "cleaning man" came. From there on it was exactly as others describe- a 2 hour demonstration of the cleaner which now costs £2500 ( "easy finance terms available !").

I can't critiscise the young man who gave us the demo-he was polite and a little bit awkward, and he accepted my firm refusal without any fuss. However, I can see that there could easily be circumstances where a vulnerable person could feel pressurised-especially after being shown what " squalor " we're all living in without the cleaner.

I think my mother maybe had a lucky escape, but like other messagers I would advise anyone getting one of these phone calls to politely, but firmly refuse. Better still, don't give your phone number to anyone at the door.

• 3 weeks later...

My elderly parents-in-law purchased one of these a couple of months ago from a ("very nice young man") after several hours of intense sales talk. They have not said how much it cost but from the threads I suspect 2k at least. Since they bought it, it has been used once and is standing in their garage gathering dust. My mother-in-law has severe arthritis and, since I struggled to lift the thing, she has no chance of getting it up the stairs. She was also sold a dvd costing a further £10 which she has not been able to see since she does not have a functioning dvd player.

They were also asked for the names of 10 friends or acquaintances which they gave. One of the 10 knew it was my father-in-law (presumably the salemsan told him) and told my father-in-law he was not very happy about it. This person had a similar hard sell and bought one but subsequently cancelled the cheque.

I find this situation appalling and I'm not sure what to do about the situation. Any suggestions?

Sell the machine? They go for nearly £800-£1,200 depending on model. By giving 10 names etc, they will have been given a substantial discount for these sales leads, so the sale price would be nearer £1,500 or so. I can;t see how the salesman can be responsible for them not having a working DVD player. My Kirby (now 32 years old) still works as it did on day 1. I have nothing that has the same longevity.

Edited by buzby

my brother used to be a kirby salesman when he was a student and yes he mentioned that some slaes reps are extremely pushy and won't take no for an answer. There's no question that the product is good but the biggest surprise I found was how they inflate the prices based on customer. My friend was going to buy one and was offered it for £1200, I spoke to my brother about the price (after he left them) and he said salesmen can go down to £700 if they think they'll make a sale and they'll inflate the price if someone is richer or older. After I told my friend she told them where to go.

He did mention that Kirby really exploit their staff and almost brain wash them into making unethical sales.

On a point ofclarification. Kirby ONLY make vacuum cleaners. The sales channel are individual distributors and their sales staff who have no connection with the manufacturers, other than using the branding to sell.

• 8 months later...
oh come on a company ringss you un-excpectedly and offers you a free carpet clean and you think thats it first of all nothing is ever free. Would it really be in kirbys interest to come and clean your carpets for nothing and not try to sell you anything. kirby has been going since 1914 and is now the richest company in the world evan more successfull than bill gates so they must be doing some thing right. i used to work for them and they ripped me off big time so no one hates them more than me the reality is if you are foolish enough to buy one you will have to pay a further 100 a year for servicing and "insurance". if you decide not to take there service plan then if there is an issue they will charge what ever call out fee they feel like and massively over charge for the parts needed. if you really want one i suggest you type kirby into google and you'll see loads of the new ones that kirby are selling for 2400 only on google you can get one for around 600 thats a saving of 1800. so if they call you again and say i'm delighted to tell you we have successfully enterd you into the car prize draw and in addition i am delighted to tell you that you have won a COMPLIMENTARY (very important word leigally) carpet shampoo. tell them to p*ss off if you let them in it's a 2 hour demo of a kirby or if your un-lucky and get a "trainee" it'll be 5 hours .