Credit card ID fraud - question

webby123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5349 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've recently received a credit card in my name to my address. yet I never ordered it. I believe the person who stole my information went through my mail and obtained my personal information this way.

The card has not been used and no money has been taken. I called the bank in question, who said because the card hadn't been used that nothing could be done as no fraud has occurred.

Is this the case? Does a fraud only occur where money has been taken? Will the police investigate otherwise? I have a strong probability on who the perpertrator is however is there any point?

Thanks in advance.

TM

I don't think that any fraud has teken place under the fraud act 2006.

If the person had used the car, it would most definatly be fraud, under section 2 of the above act.

Old Andrew is correct though, it would still be worth contacting the police and making them aware as to what has happened.

It will also be on your credit files so you'll need to address that too if you didn't apply.

Do report it to the police..Whoever has done this has committed what could be seen as several criminal offences. Interfering with your mail just being one of them.

The whole issue is finding out who gathered the information from the OP and applied for the credit card.

The type of 'fraud' that has occured here is known as "application fraud" and is where an individual applies for a credit card in another name using documents such as utility bills etc.

The Identity Cards Act 2006 created offences relating to possession, control and intent to use false identity documents, including a genuine document that relates to someone else. But im not too sure it would apply here.

The fraud act 2006 provides the crime of fraud by false representation, but this would have only occured if the fraudster had managed to, or attempted to, use the card.

So in reality, although an ID theft has occured, there is not much that can be done and it is not progressed to the level of being 'fraud'.

The first thing I think of when reading this is, "who knows what else the fraudster has done that hasn't been noticed yet".

Isn't there something that can be done where people who are potentially the victims of ID fraud get a special flag put on their credit report warning borrowers to take extra care with applications? Or something like that.