Would the AA have a diagnostic computer?

sequenci
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5336 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey there,

My car has an electronic fault which is quite sporadic, I know exactly what it is (It's to do with the accelerator throttle body). Recently the car is playing up even more than normal - so much so that I cannot drive it. My usual garage wants to charge me £80 to check it out. I have full AA membership, I was wondering if it is worth calling them out as I can no longer actually more the thing - I have 'Homestart'.

My alternative is to contact a mechanic that comes out to visit, I guess.

opinions?

Homestart as I understand it is exactly what they say. If car won't start then they will attend as normal but a repair like this would be unusual in fact highly irregular. You might be able to swing it though if you know what to say and do.

Given that you reckon you know what the problem is then why haven't you had it sorted by normal means already?

Given that you reckon you know what the problem is then why haven't you had it sorted by normal means already?

Really due to the fact that the problem is a little more irregular than normal - in the sense that car will not move at more than 2 or 3 mph. With the old fault It would simply restrict the revs to about 3,500 which means it was driveable. I have a gut feeling that a spark plug might have gone - which could explain the loss of power.

The problem is that I cannot drive it to my usual garage. I may get a mobile mechanic round I think.

• 3 weeks later...

The AA do have diagnostic machines - unfortunately they couldn't find the latest fault on my Mondeo, but they have been able to before. I would try them first as they may tow you to your chosen garage to get it repaired if they can't.

urm....

if it was going into limp home mode, i'd doubt the throttle sensor, though most of the these can be repaired with a can of switch cleaner, unless its tracks are worn.

as for 2-3 mph now, could be 1001 things and without knowing what motor it is, an outside guess would be the Ignition Control Valve being gummed up.

wild guess need to know the motors details.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

what car is it as most are on the obdii or vag cam you only need to find a local person to plug the right interface into the car to tell you any fault codes.

also is the engine manigment light on if not no codes my be stored