• Tweets

• OK, all done as requested. Defence left blank for now. Just one small question in relation to the CPR31:14.... Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim: and it says * delete if not mentioned in the Particulars of claim. I'm not  sure if I ask for everything or nothing as I can't see any of the list mentioned in the POCs
    • Fund management firm Allan Gray also said giving Nationwide's members a vote on the £2.9 billion buyout would have been 'a much better path'.View the full article
    • A Swiss pressure group says some staff at Shein suppliers are still working excessive overtime.View the full article
    • Let me start by saying I feel tremendous regret, shame and remorse. I have some debt and personal life has fallen apart over the last year which has caused me to be careless. Doesn’t make it okay I know. In a positive way, i will never take anything in life for granted ever again. I want to volunteer and go back to being a good person. I need some advice/reassurance on the below so I can move on better from this experience. A few days ago I was caught at sainsburys, I paid for part of the food (about £5) and didn’t pay for the other (about £8-10) at self checkout. when I got to the exit someone in plain clothes asked to see my receipt and bag and that they worked for mitie. I told him the receipt was in the store bin (true) and he said he followed me round and knows I didn’t pay for all of it. he very sternly but calmly said he just needs my name then I can leave with the shopping. I said i am in a bad day and can’t do this and was on the verge of breaking down. So I handed him the shopping and slowly walked out. No name given (I read elsewhere this is good and makes it unlikely to develop) and I have no way knowing if police contacted. I overthink a lot and I wonder if they can track me via debit card or nectar card on the transaction. I also wonder if they saw me do it last month and have been waiting for me. I know someone who works at their head office and terrified somehow it will get back. I’m also terrified of being recognised in the street.    I don’t know what’s going to happen. I see a lot in the news today about shoplifting 
    • Hi, I’ve just spotted an Arrangement to Pay marker (TransUnion) on my Barclays Mortgage account for 1 month in March 2022. I’ve spoken to Barclays Customer Service and Complaints about this and they’ve given me some background but have closed my complaint: Direct Debit for mortgage bounced in February and I didn’t notice this at the time. Realised there were arrears in March and called customer service straight away. Offered to pay half the arrears on the call with the other half of the arrears the following month. I prob suggested or accepted this as had done that many years previously when I was a poor student with no adverse consequences. Paid in accordance with this. Barclays call notes report they informed me credit reference agencies would be notified and I indicated I understood. However, complaints team couldn’t access the call because it was too old. They advised I could request a transcript through GDPR and complain via ombudsman if still unhappy - I’ll process the GDPR request this week. Whilst it may be factual that I entered into some kind of arrangement regarding the arrears, it wasn’t clear to me that they would be treating it and reporting it as a formal payment plan along with the potential consequences of this. At no point did I agree to or request to “reducing my contractual payments” - I paid my contractual amount for March and April with 50% more on top. I guess it’s likely they did say something vague about credit reference agencies and it’s also possible that I may have agreed without fully understanding it would be different to a late payment marker. I’m not 100% sure of the impact of the AP but I believe it did tighten up balance transfer and new card offers (Lloyds group in particular) even though the rest of my report is spotless and I have many years managing multiple high balance cards. Although it may have been less comfortable, I also believe I had the means to pay the balance in full if I’d realised the impact at the time. Finally, it feels like Ive been penalised for speaking to customer services directly rather than just upping my payments to cover the arrears. Historically, I was under the impression that Barclays mortgages weren’t even reporting arrears of less than 2-3 months as late payments - although this may have changed since the last time I was in arrears. I’ve had a browse through threads about AP markers and it seems like removal is unlikely if it’s deemed factual but it may be worthwhile escalating to FOS or ICO? Will update with transcript details once I’ve raised and received a response to my request. I suppose the upside of this is that I’ll be even more cautious about negative markers in the future. Thanks, J
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • I agree
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

First step Finance - **BANNED DIRECTORS STOLE +£6M**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi DD,

Thanks for your post. I'll work it out tonight or tomorrow, and I might PM you with the figures if that's ok. I think they have (previously) said that F&Fs tend to be for 50% of the actual (alleged) debt to each creditor. But then I would have to pay another 12.5% to FSF, which is 25% of the amount "written off".

PCB

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had a call from these people to say that they can clear my debt or reduce it. I dont know if to trust them because it was only after the 4th phone call that I found out exactly who they were as they just referred to themselves as a debt litigation company! They have listed all my debts and I have had some good advise off them so far but the last thing I want to get tied into is another debt as I dont believe they will do it for free!!

Hi DollyMixture, and Welcome to CAG. :)

You are right - they won't do it for free.

They get their money as a percentage of anything they "save for you" and you have to pay in for a number of months before they take any action on your behalf.

If you have mis-sold PPI they will claim it back, but keep their percentage. You can do that for yourself with advice from the forum and it won't cost you a penny.

I doubt if they can do anything for you that you can't do yourself with help from this forum. Some debts are enforceable and some aren't.

If you have unenforceable agreements then you can get exactly the same advice here on how to deal with them. If the card companies offer full and final settlements those will be available to you directly - you don't have to go through FSF or any other company to get them. For example, and I don't know the percentages FSF charge, so this is just an example:

You owe a card company £10,000. They negotiate a 50% settlement which reduces the debt to £5,000, but you still have to pay them 25% of the settlement which is £1,250, so you still owe £6,250, whereas if you had made that arrangement yourself you'd only pay the £5,000.

But you may decide to fight them all the way and challenge the agreement and hold out for six years until the debt is statute barred.

If they are enforceable, again you will get advice on how to negotiate with the companies involved.

If you want someone else to deal with all the debts, CCCS will negotiate with the card companies for you for nothing. If you want to challenge them this forum can help. You can start a new thread for each company and people who are also dealing with them will join your thread and advise you. You should also do a search and find other threads for your cards. Knowledge is power.

What cards have you got, by the way? There are a few which are absolutely unenforceable. If you have cards from the late 90s or early 2000s a number of them may be unenforceable anyway.

If I were you, I really wouldn't want to be involved with FSF - the experiences of so many people on this thread are horrendous.

DD

Thanku so much Desperate Daniella, unfortunately I am behind with a couple of credit card MBNA and Cap1 also an energy bill and a Natwest o/draft - not good I know but I was out of work following having my child and have got in a pickle. All these debts have been sold on and have gone up significantley from what was originally owed. Although I am back in p/t work now the money I earn I need for the upkeep of my kids and myself. Its so hard. A company called Power 2 contact have threatened to come round to my house tomorrow. I have been told not to let them in and ask them to leave. All these debts are from 2006/2007.

Hello Dolly Mixture22,

Our experinace with FSF is totally different than some others on this thread.

They certainly do not do it for free, we have previously posted what we were chargd 8% of the debt, 25% of what they save or write off 15% of an payments theymake for you, ultimately in our experiance we owed circa 5000pounds and became debt free in around 19 months at a cost of around 1900 pounds (if i recall correctly).

Yes we got creditor mither and some threats which turned out to be just that, which was a little scary to deal with

Whilst some may have had difficulties if you read the posts it appears they have not listend to what FSF offer or have forgot or have decided to pay the creditors.

Could we have done it on our own, probably not, with respect to those that say it can be done it would have been very daunting and stressful.

You have to think hard and ensure this or any Debt plan will work for you whether cccs or FSF both are different ( i think).

Any way as stated earlier this year we reffered 3 friends to FSF, we are due to meet next week so will come back to advise on how they see the FSF experiance.

prima

PS had re register not sure why.

Hi DollyMixture,

Send the following letter to Power2Contact today. Print off an extra copy and keep it by the front door. If they do turn up then don't let them in, hand them the copy through the letter box, or through the door with the chain on, and tell them to go away. If they refuse say you will call the police.

Please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied licence under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke licence under Common Law for you or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken including, but not limited to, police attendance.

As you have been given this notice, should your representative then come to my property and cause any embarrassment which results in financial loss to me you will also be liable for damages.

Sorry, posted too early!

You will need to start different threads for each creditor.

With regard to the energy bill, are you still with the same supplier?

I can't help with NatWest or MBNA, but I know a lot of people are challenging their MBNA agreements.

When did you take out the Capital One card?

I do agree with Prima on one thing.

It is very stressful and daunting when you start out to deal with all these DCAs. I joined in late 2008 at the same time as a lot of other people who now post regularly on the forum. I had a box full of letters from DCAs which I didn't dare open. Now I've learned to actually read the letters - and read between the lines. "We may," "Could result in," etc. All sounds very frightening. I have had so many letters like this from a company called Moorcroft I could paper my cloakroom. Have they done anything? No. They can't because there is no CCA-compliant agreement.

Obviously if FSF could guarantee that you personally wouldn't get all the nasty phone calls and threatening letters taken away then it could be tempting but that doesn't seem to be the experience of a number of people here.

DD

• Haha 1

Thanku DD its amazing how much messages and information like this boosts ur confidence. Im sure with help from this site I can sort these out on my own. Im sure debt management companies are good for some people but I cant afford to pay them although they may save me money Im paying them which I cant afford to do, this is why im in the position I am now. Im not sure when I opened my Cap1 card but i started having troube paying in 2008.

I appreciate the imput Prima but as Daniella said there are a lot of negative reports and u seem to be speaking up for First Steps an awful lot, ive noticed u doing the same on a Money Saving Expert forum too.

Hiya,

I'm new here but for the past 2 nights I've been reading all these posts about FSF. We are trying to get rid of FSF at the moment and re claim our money and so far all they have done is put barriers in our way. However, twice today I've had cheeky emails from a so-called Compliance Manager at FSF who has tried to imply that I have lied etc etc. I have asked for a breakdown of our account to see exactly what we are being ripped off for and she said I will be sent it but I am doubtful!

Anyone reading this and considering taking FSF up on their offer PLEASE THINK AGAIN!!!!!! They are not a DMP - they just want to take your money and ignore you. We've been with them over 6mths and have not had hardly any correspondance with anyone there - now on this forum I find out that they have been charging me for every time I rang to find out what's going on - deep joy! I'm fed up and disgusted that this sham comapny can get away with it.

I also have to say that i'm a bit confused with some of the posts on here - one particular person starts off by saying that her friend has had a good experience with FSF but as the posts go on it changes to her having a good experience - do you work for FSF as I can't understand why anyone would think that these extortionate charges and rubbish customer service for people who are already drowning in debt are acceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

If anyone has actually managed to get their money back please pm me and let me know how as this company are out to rip EVERYONE off.

Hope to hear some good news soon of people getting away from FSF and sorting their finances out!! :)

Hi Gilly, and welcome to CAG. :)

I'm beginning to think that the FSF working for Prima and her friends must exist in a parallel universe. :D

Sadly, from what I have read, it's going to be difficult to get your money back from FSF. I've never seen their contract so don't what guarantees or get out clauses they offer.

Like DollyMixture, do start your own threads for each individual creditor and make sure you put the company's name in the thread title. I'm sure PCB won't mind if you post the links here.

You've just done something really wonderful. You've joined CAG and things will be better now. I arrived here in pieces in 2008 and it just saved my life.

Help is here. You only have to ask.

DD

Thanks DD :D

We are in the process of getting a Trust Deed so things should start to get better for us very soon!! I'm just so gutted that FSF rang me up and told me a lot of BS and I believed it - more fool me really :(

I'm glad I found this site when I did - we'd already told FSF that we wanted out but these posts just confirmed why and that we weren't alone!!

So, I've just sent a cheeky reply to the Compliance Manager (cheeky as in the same tone she wrote to me in - how rude???!!!!!) I will let you know what response I get. :evil:

Go for it. I can only say my friends have found its working for them. I suppose its only like the CCCS saying they will get interest and charges stopped for me, they haven't on some of my debts the only difference is they don't charge me for it also they don't actually do anything for me except take my money every month and pass it on to the creditors. I still get the phone calls and nasty letters and have to call the creditors and write to them myself. I even had the claim form from one of my creditors and they just told me fill it in, acknowledge you owe the debt and sign it. if I'd done that and not found this site at the time I would probably have a ccj against me.

DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

I think the "First Step" im going to take is to phone my creditors and record the conversations and tell them to only communicate in writing from now on, and to prove that I owe this debt - although Im not quite sure how to word it. Is there something I need like a creditor agreement which Ive signed to say the money is owed? If so I know there wont be anything.

I wont be getting involved with FSF, i dont need the added stress ive already got! Im going to learn from other peoples experience!

I think the "First Step" im going to take is to phone my creditors and record the conversations and tell them to only communicate in writing from now on, and to prove that I owe this debt - although Im not quite sure how to word it. Is there something I need like a creditor agreement which Ive signed to say the money is owed? If so I know there wont be anything.

I wont be getting involved with FSF, i dont need the added stress ive already got! Im going to learn from other peoples experience!

You can send your creditors a CCA request http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/581-cca-request-letter send it unsigned with a £1 postal order recorded delivery.

The above is no good for the energy bill or the overdraft I'm afraid. There are some charitable trusts which may be able to help with utility bills, see; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/utilities-gas-electricity-water/100405-utilities-trust-fund.html

When you start to get replys back from your CCA requests start a new thread for each one & then we'll be able to advise without getting this mixed up. ;)

Hi DollyMixture22,

I would have replied/taken part in this discussion earlier, but have hardly been near a computer since Mon evening! Daniella has been very helpful to me too and, in the absence of any specific advice from a legal expert, I would take it. In particular, DD's suggested letter to Power2Contact I could use for one of my Halifax cards that are currently with a doorstep DCA called Credit Security Limited, who actually did call on me on Monday evening but, fortunately, I wasn't in! They left a calling card.

Back to FSF, I am considering going back with them because I have already paid into their "pot" for 14 months. Had orginially intended to leave them to go with the CCCS. But FSF now have a dedicated client support group who can deal with queries, or if a certain creditor/DCA keeps pestering them, straight away. This group has only been in existence about 3 months. It may have been originally set up because a number of people had cancelled being with FSF but the group can only be a good thing.

I am going back to FSF because I have already paid quite a lot of money in, and (I hope!) it is actually going to go towards legal action against the creditors myself. If I was starting from scratch, though, I may not knowing what I do now.

DD, although we can offer full & final myself to creditors, the difficulty is (i have been told by FSF) is that the creditor might "accept" that money but there is nothing to stop them 4 or 5 years down the line asking from claiming the rest of the money. With FSF I understand that they make the offer in a 'legal' way to make it more or less impossible for the creditor to persist with this.

Hope this helps

PCB

Edited by Poor-Credit Borrower
omitted a word

Hi PCB,

I can completely understand your decision and I do hope it works for you.:)

However, it is utter garbage for FSF to say that only they can get a legal agreement to stop creditors chasing for the rest of the money further down the line.

Yes, there are situations where some companies do try to do this, but they won't get anywhere because you will have a legal agreement saying it's a full and final settlement - and you don't need FSF to do that.

Hi guests!

DD

I also have to say that i'm a bit confused with some of the posts on here - one particular person starts off by saying that her friend has had a good experience with FSF but as the posts go on it changes to her having a good experience -

If anyone has actually managed to get their money back please pm me and let me know how as this company are out to rip EVERYONE off.

Hope to hear some good news soon of people getting away from FSF and sorting their finances out!! :)

I recently had C L Finance taking action against me to enforce debt that I had originally disputed. The original lender, GE Money (now Santanderlink3.gif) failed to comply with the original s.78 request and this was my defence. Rather than go to court, they agreed to a consent order which included writing off the debt and reversing all negative entries on my credit filelink3.gif.

I also previously forced Santander to write off a credit card completely. Because of their conduct, the foslink3.gif is also investigating them for unfair business practices, and the Information Commissioner for breach of the Data Protection Act (by failing to send accurate information to credit reference agencies - i.e. that there was a dispute).

I have been practising this area of law for a while now, but the strategy of the banks generally appears to have been successfull. This is because a lot of claims management companies and law firms who had tens of thousands of viable claims, had no funding to take claims into litigation. This lack of funding has starved the market and let the banks off the hook. If any funding for claims does become available it will not be sufficient to cover everyone, so many will lose out.

However, if there is a PPIlink3.gif element, then these have been deemed in the indistry as stronger cases and some funding is available for those.

People need to stand their ground and wait for the lender to bring action within 6 yearslink3.gif or write the debt off. If they bring action then defending an action does not require funding in the same way as bringing one, so is a stronger position to take them on from.

Everyone at CAGlink31.gif hang in there, and remind others that the truth is that most agreements can be challenged successfully, but patience is needed.

The quote was from The Lawyer on a different post- seems quite few people have had debts written off by the firm you have mentioned. Don't know them myself though. I suppose you have to work out what you've saved in the long run. I had about £30k debt and only some debts were unenforceable, they got them settled for me. When I worked out what I paid and the debts that were written off I was still much better off and didn't have to do the work. It took about 18months - so 6 months doesn't seem very long.

However, it is utter garbage for FSF to say that only they can get a legal agreement to stop creditors chasing for the rest of the money further down the line.

Yes, there are situations where some companies do try to do this, but they won't get anywhere because you will have a legal agreement saying it's a full and final settlement - and you don't need FSF to do that.

End of Quote

You do need a letter or agreement that legally binds the cred to not chasing your debt later down the line. A letter saying full and final is not enough. And they have six years to chase you. So are you going to keep that letter that may not be worded properly for six years??????

Get the letter checked out by Citizens Advice first before just accepting that your debt has been settled.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, as to Full and Final's it makes sense you need something legal, your agreement to borrow and repay is a legal document, to break that and have the new payment or lower payment agreed has to be legal too, otherwise what stops a company coming back for the debt?

It's just common sense, I don't like following sheep or like a lemming drop off the cliff so I always check docs out now and if I'm not sure query it in writing. If I don't get a reply IN WRITING then what they say in a call isn't worth the airtime.

I'm not in debt now, but used to be and I was promised all sorts, but before I handed my hard earned cash over I checked everything out. I don't lay too much store on blogs like these because people get angry and say the first thing that comes into their head. You can tell by what they write. Also its anonymous so how do you know its true???

So yes I'm gloating in my debt heaven cos I sorted them out.

Thank you, as to Full and Final's it makes sense you need something legal, your agreement to borrow and repay is a legal document, to break that and have the new payment or lower payment agreed has to be legal too, otherwise what stops a company coming back for the debt?

You're totally correct, you need to have proof that the creditor has accepted your settlement, if they try and recover the rest you are argue that they are 'estopped' from doing so.