Late Mums I-Group Mortgage

boocut
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5290 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Hope I'm in the right place.

My Mum died suddenly a few years back and was in arrears with her mortgage. She had no kind of life assurance so I had to get a mortgage myslef to buy hers out so that me and my brother and sister didnt lose the house. At the time, being only young, I didn't question how a mortgage that she had held for 5 years and paid over 11k on had gone up from £23,650 to £28,900. But looking at the redemption letter I recieved there are a few charges I'm not sure about. They may be perfectly normal but I thought I would check it out. These are:

Disembursements - £2,100.34

Additional Interest/Int.Adjs - £2,354.14

Discharge Costs - £117.50

Administration Charges - £1,568.75

Does anybidy know if these charges can be justified?

You need to supply more information about them.

Approach the lender and ask for a breakdown of the charges. They won't want to tell you. Make it clear to them from the outset that you require a full breakdown or else you will challenge them with the Ombudsman. The administrative charges look very big but it wuld be interesting also to know that the disbursments are

Thank you for the quick reply.

I can see from her monthly statements that there was a £30 Admin fee for being in arrears and £200 odd in additional interest each month.

I will definitely see if they can give me a breakdown of what these charges were for - I don't even know what 'disembursements' means!

Was thinking though, they might not want to tell me anything as it wasn't even my account.

Does anyone know if there are any template letters anywhere in regards to dealing with this? And also, are they likely to give me any details considering it wasn't my account (even though I ended up paying all of the charges!).

• 1 month later...

So I sent off my SAR and they actually got back to me pretty sharpish with loads of info. After trawling through it all I think it looks like:

1-Disbursements were legal fees/debt counsellors etc

2-There were 55 (!) months worth of 'Admin Charges' at £30 a pop. Some months nothing but an automated statment being sent out is shown as work done or maybe a phone call or 2.

3-And then there is the additional interest added on because of arrears. I know that this is legit though.

4-A couple of returned DD charges.

It made for some very depressing reading - no wonder she was so stressed she had a stroke.