• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HFC/Marbles taking me to court in November.**DISCONTINUED**

1littleduck
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5176 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Aha, right.. the credit card cases. As I understand it, there wont be a result until January 2010. I think you can find a discussion on the following threads.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/216538-claim-stayed-due-unenforceable-57.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/221824-unenforceable-credit-agreements-24th-19.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/41731-unenforceable-agreements-under-consumer-21.html

I think the top link might be the most informative. HTH

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add, now that Restons have had the SJ hearing moved back, they will probably send their Witness Statement nearer the time and tell you that you must file and serve at least 7 days prior to the hearing..........which surprisingly enough, is correct.

However, do make sure that you tell the Judge in your WS that Restons never complied with the Court Order, as that order was never rescinded.

Edited by supasnooper
addition

• 1 month later...

Hi all... After receiving another latter from Restons.. identical to the last one.. I received a telephone call from them.. They offered me a payment plan.. paying just £1.00 per month for 3 months and then review the situation.. I told the lady I was speaking to .. that it was the HFC'sfault this had gone to court, they would accept my offer in the first place, and now I am unemployed.. the courts are very likely to set the same payment.. so I may as well continue with it.

Is there any news on the outcome of the trial court cases...Has the law changed now.. and are the application forms now legal...? I am not sure if my situation has gotten worse as far as the court is concerned.

Ummmm.. I have just found this..

BBC News - Banks win partial High Court victory on credit cards

I would like to ask.. that with them talking about a signed agreement...where the HFC have only produced a copy of the application form..it leads me to believe that no such agreement ever existed...is this correct?

A credit card agreement in my eyes is not the same as a application for a credit card agreement! am I right or wrong on this one please.

Are the rules concerning the default notice still the same?

This is one case were I would advise that you call Restons and get them to put their offer in writing ( I'm presuming you never recorded the call).

Nothing has changed whatsoever as regards to Default Notices issued under s87 CCA 1974.

I would also ask Restons to put in writing what they intend to do about the SJ hearing, will they pay your costs incurred so far and do they intend further legal action !

Do NOT get into any discussions with them; just ask the questions and ask them to respond in writing.

Again, come back here with their response.

I suspect they are offering you the deal as they know they are stuffed by the defective DN and are taking the view that something is better than nothing.

and they will use your offer of acceptance of your continuing liability and after 3 months (which is about as long as it would take them to get to court) the "Review" will be demands for payment of that which you have admitted

STOP answering the calls (put the phone down) and do everything in wiritng

I agree with dicky

As supa posted nothing has changed on the DN and Restons must know it is a problem as they normally discontinue with that type of problem. But to agree to a payment of £1 a month for 3 months could give them an argument that the agreement endures and the DN is therefore not relevant.

I think I would be more inclined to send them a letter saying that in reply to their letters and the telephone call in which they gave you the option to pay £1 a month for 3 months you have no intention of doing so. Both Restons and yourself are aware that the agreement is terminated and as they have no legal rights to enforce the debt you request that they either comply with the directions of the court or discontinue the action and let you get on with your life.

This is just my opinion so I suggest you get other opinions before taking this action.

Your point about the application is far more complicated and you will only need to understand that fully if it gets to court. In brief, the application form together with certain prescribed terms and other information form the agreement. However, to do that the prescribed terms must be part of the same document eg 'attached' or 'overleaf' etc and not part of a seperate document. Restons try to prove they were part of the same document and you try to prove that they were not. The DN should stop it getting that far.

Pedross

I agree with dicky

As supa posted nothing has changed on the DN and Restons must know it is a problem as they normally discontinue with that type of problem. But to agree to a payment of £1 a month for 3 months could give them an argument that the agreement endures and the DN is therefore not relevant.

I think I would be more inclined to send them a letter saying that in reply to their letters and the telephone call in which they gave you the option to pay £1 a month for 3 months you have no intention of doing so. Both Restons and yourself are aware that the agreement is terminated and as they have no legal rights to enforce the debt you request that they either comply with the directions of the court or discontinue the action and let you get on with your life.

This is just my opinion so I suggest you get other opinions before taking this action.

Your point about the application is far more complicated and you will only need to understand that fully if it gets to court. In brief, the application form together with certain prescribed terms and other information form the agreement. However, to do that the prescribed terms must be part of the same document eg 'attached' or 'overleaf' etc and not part of a seperate document. Restons try to prove they were part of the same document and you try to prove that they were not. The DN should stop it getting that far.

Pedross

I think i would be inclined to make a "lump sum" offer (of say 5% of the debt) as a full and final settlement and in order solely to "rid myself of the nuisance value of the claim" and without admitting any liability

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all... here it is.. the notice of discontinuance

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/1littleduck/Re1.jpg

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/1littleduck/R13.jpg

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/1littleduck/R12.jpg

Does this mean they have dropped the claim :)

Can I bin all this now, or do I have to keep it just incase they decide to start it all over again.

Does this mean they have dropped the claim :)

Can I bin all this now, or do I have to keep it just incase they decide to start it all over again.

They definately have dropped the claim and they will find it almost impossible to start another one and so will anyone else. I would keep the paperwork for 6 years at least as security and peace of mind.

You have won this one and you will get the famous 'won' heading on your thread.

Well done LD

Pedross

Thank you Pedross and everyone who helped me in this fight.

I'm glad I have posted up all the correspondence, so anyone else can see all the steps taken and hopefully win their own.

This is only 1 of many, but it does give me hope for more victories.

Thanks to all again. x

Thanks for you reply..

How long would I have to keep it for...

Does this mean that the bank will not try to take me to court again?

Excellent news, littlduck. I am really pleased for you. I will change your title to reflect the success.

Do keep all the paperwork in respect of this. For your own peace of mind more than anything. Get a box file and just shove it all in there. With the Notice of Discontinuance on the top :D You should also receive one from the court. File that as well.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

hiya 1littleduck - FANTASTIC NEWS :D:D:D:D

this thread is truely inspiring thank you so much for updating and a lesson to me for not being so organised!

glad you got justice in the end and even better without the trial what a day make sure you have a go on the euro lotto tonight, your luck may just be changing, but dont forget us if you win big :lol::lol::lol:

have a fun day and yes keep the paperwork

laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Congratulations and Well Done. :D

Excellent stuff.

Don't forget to write to Restons for those Wasted Costs.

WASTED COSTS THREADS

Have a look at the pdf's that Surfaceagentx20 has attached at the bottom of the post on a letter for wasted costs -

Surfaceagentx20 wasted costs

also

Liabilty for Costs CPR 38.6

Sharpman v Nationwide credit card services ***WON WITH WASTED COSTS***

Welcome/Cohens - case withdrawn ***WOO-HOO ***

have a look at this post by IGNM on costs as well -

IGNM post on costs

and a B_R_W post on what else you can claim - B_R_W additional costs you can claim

wow... thanks all...

I will do the letter for wasted costs after I have received the letter from the courts confirming this is discontinued.

I have read through the thread Sharpman v nationwide and have noticed my discontinue notice is straight forward.. no threats of pursuing it through another means.. so I guess, as far as the HFC goes, it is really closed.

Once I have the letter from the courts, I will post it up, and then send in my clain for costs.

Thank you all once again. :)

• 4 weeks later...

So pleased to read about your success with this. The arrogance of Mr J. T. Litigation Manager in his initial letters to you would be unbeleivable except for the fact he works for Restons and the equally nasty HFC.

Notice he had introduced the word 'please' into his begging letter when he offered his ridicualous £1 for 3 months then review .

Bet Mr J. T. Litigation Manager isn't feeling so damned smart now:lol::lol::lol:

Excellent. A success like this is a real boost for the rest of us.:D