style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I ran into some financial difficulties back in 2007, and had a visit from Rundle & Co regarding some outstanding C/Tax.

After reading this great forum, I located the notice of seizure document I received from the Baliff.

I never let me in but just want to check his sums were right.

He placed a levy on my old car that was on the drive:

On the sheet it states:

Council Tax : £880.40

Levy Fee : £51.00

Attendance : £39

Total to pay : £970.40

Thanks to a kind hearted Dad he paid the Bailiff off.

If I remeber right he was after 3 different accounts but at the moment I can't find the other paperwork.

The advice i'm after is:

Would I be in my rights to ask for a screenshot of the accounts or would it be to long now.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone,

I moved out of an address in 2007 and thought everything had been paid.

On Saturday I received a letter from my old council asking for a outstanding balance of £48.01 asking me to pay the amount within 7 days or else.

Is there a letter I can send them asking for proof of the debt?

Thanks

JJ

No, just a standard letter saying your statements show the qualifying years as paid in full and can they send you an explanation of the requested arrears.

Make sure you send any letters recorded delivery or even special delivery as they will hit you with a liability order that will cost upwards of £60 depending on the council.

Hi, thanks for . Have sent a letter recorded today asking for proof of the arrears. I know it was all paid as I feel into arrears and it was handed over to a Bailiff and paid them fully (I can't see a bailiff missing out of £48)!

Just had a reply back, they reckon that it was a benefit overpayment from 2007, and that I should get in touch with the benefit section.

Why should I have to keep getting in touch with the different departments just to be pushed from them both. All I want is proof of the overpayment!

JJ

The problem is that on the council tax side all you usually see is an adjustment for recovered council tax benefit there tends not be any reason why stated. You can give a figure but for the actual reasons why the benefit was recovered you need someone from the benefit side to look in to it.

But as usual one department doesn't talk to another, all I want is some proof.

Spoke to the benefit department and they don't have a copy of the award anymore on file!

If I owe I will pay it but I want proof before I pay it.

There has been no reason why after 3 years they are deciding to ask for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a letter today saying if the amount isn't paid by the 1st then I have to appear in court, I am steaming!.

Spoke to them on the phone wanting a full explanation.

I am going to write another letter wanting all court action stopped until my complaint has been looked into.

So how was this paid in 2007? Can you show paper like bank statements to show the amount you paid and that is was correct.

It's not good enough for you to just say you want proof, you will have to be prepared to defend and show that it was paid in full.

Why don't you send the council an sar request (costs £10) and you will get back everything they have on you.

Hi, when I left my old address I sent in all my paperwork for my benefit, all the council tax which was owing was paid. I don't know if I still have any paperwork regarding the payments now. Sending a sar might help but they must have a copy of the readjustment of the benefit which is what I am asking for.