used car faulty after buying.. what are my rights?

woodwaan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5438 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I need some advice before talking to the garage!... I had a look at a car and was about to buy, when i noticed a very slight oil leak.. but not enough to cause great concern.. Anyway, the garage said they would fix it before purchase.. oh.. its a Y reg peugeot.

When i went back, i was told it was all done (gave me some jargon and not serious ??!!) but basically was fixed...anyway i felt at ease coz i also had 3 months warranty.. well a few days ago i noticed it was leaking from the same place - and was slightly worse than before. when i phoned the garage, they said to just do it through the warranty, which i did.

Today i get a call from the recommended garage (for warranty purposes) and told that i will have to pay £72 diagnosis charges and that it still might not guarantee the work being covered by the warranty. I have been told that the leak is "beyond the crank shaft. that the timing belt is covered in oil and the drive belts perished _ and the leak might be behind the belt casing" They also offered me the information that they spotted a "leak in the power steering pump... and that a shock absorber was leaking" (not covered in warranty)... they are basically wanting to know how i wish to proceed... i know what i would LIKE to do!! anyhow i need advice.. my instinct tells me to get the seller to foot the £72 and let this garage get on with it - but what if they find its not covered by the warranty? what about the other findings? etc etc.... I'm now finding out that maybe the garage should not have advised me going via warranty as its related to problem prior to purchase ... etc .....HELP... please :confused:

Edited by woodwaan
need advice urgent

IF there is a leaking shock absorber, then the vehicle is unroadworthy (MoT failure) and you should write to the supplying garage rejecting the vehicle for a full refund.

Forget the 'warranty'; it is not worth the paper it is printed on.

• Haha 1

Lots of dealers do this, clean it up and hope it don't show for a few days and then say 'use the warranty'.

Take it back to the dealer and show him what you have been given by the other garage and 'tell' him he has 7 days in which to sort it or you will reject the the car as your right under soga.

You don't just want the oil cleaned up, you want a new crankshaft oilseal and cam belt fitted as well as the other things.

If they refuse, you take it to the other garage, (you will have to pay) and then send them the bill giving them 7 days to pay or you will take it further.

• Haha 1

Thank you for your replies ... it has been of great help - and certainly gave me confidence when dealing with the trader....

I contacted the dealer and told them about the faults. They admitted that they had not changed the seal when they replaced the cam belt and felt this could have caused the problem. I have arranged for the car to be returned and repaired by them - and listed the other faults found. Hopefully they will sort out the problems..

Of note: on the positive side the garage that initially highlighted the problems has offered to check (for free) that the work has been done.. I just wanted to balance it out and show that there are Some good garages out there.! Fingers crossed it all goes well ..I will let you know!!

Anne :)