Capital One/lowell Portfolio/mckenzie Hall/wescott

david_hornet27
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5429 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This kinda has Bank Charges, Data Protection, Credit Ref Agencies all involved so thought best place for my thread was here. Please bear with me and HELP!!!!!!!:)

I looked on Equifax and saw that Lowell Portfolio have listed a default against me at a previous address for a Capital One credit card which I took out in August 2004. It says on Equifax that I owe £544. The credit card had only a £200 limit and I wish I had never taken it out as I missed a payment and they then started hitting me with late payment charges and I could then not afford to pay so buried my head in the sand.

I have moved twice since I took the credit card out and haven't been chased for the debt despite being on the Electoral Roll. However the default still shows on my credit file and I would like to have it removed. Also Wescott and Mckenzie Hall have searched at my previous address, I guess for Capital One as I have no other debts as far as I am aware, maybe the debt has been sold on again??

Is it legal for them to credit check me without my consent? Or do they have authority because the debt originated with Capital One (i think) who I did give authority to credit check me?

I would like to settle the debt, however I do not want to pay £544 for a debt which was only £200 in the first place. Is it too late to pull the unlawful bank charge card, as I presume this is why the debt is now so big? I only buried my head in the first place because the late payment charge was so huge.

Secondly, who do I now contact to settle the debt? Would it be Capital One, Lowell, Makenzie Hall or Wescott???

Once I have settled the debt I guess I can get the serches for 'oustanding debt' off my table 1 searches on Equifax, these are ruining my credit rating. Does anybody know if this is possible?

Anyone who is still reading, you deserve a medal!! Any help would be greatly appreciated as I now want to be debt free and creditworthy.:wink:

First of all if you want to settle the debt stick with Capital One. I would refuse to deal with any of their crappy DCA's.

Please be aware though that the default, settled or not, will appear on your credit report for six years. It will just change to a Default that has been SETTLED.

Offer them £200, they will snap it up.

Once I have settled the debt I guess I can get the serches for 'oustanding debt' off my table 1 searches on Equifax, these are ruining my credit rating. Does anybody know if this is possible?

These maggots will do nothing for you, ignore them. The 'outstanding debt' markers on your credit report have no impact on your score. I know as I have two but I have a perfect credit score and am normally approved online straight away for credit. To tell you the truth, these markers are even less damaging than normal searches! At the moment the DEFAULT is having the largest impact on your credit report, work on getting that removed (unlikely) or make the £200 offer and it will become settled.

Edited by Coasters

And the latest score is...

DCA's 0 v Coasters 2