Being charged for a cancelled DD

LittleSnowBear
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5464 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a DD with my phone company to an account, this was cancelled over a year ago and for some reason reactivated this week and I have a unpaid item fee for something which shouldn't have gone out. The account in question (natwest) was closed by them 2 months ago as I defaulted (interest on overdraft and charges crippled me and I am not working). I have not used the account since september and the direct debit has not been taken out for a year can anyone advise me?

I had a DD with my phone company to an account, this was cancelled over a year ago and for some reason reactivated this week and I have a unpaid item fee for something which shouldn't have gone out. The account in question (natwest) was closed by them 2 months ago as I defaulted (interest on overdraft and charges crippled me and I am not working). I have not used the account since september and the direct debit has not been taken out for a year can anyone advise me?

1) ask the bank who it is to and why it went out?

2) ask the phone company as well, what it is for since the account is inactive?

3) reclaim the charges from the account ;)

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

It is for my phone bill. It is the bank account that has been closed not the phone account(by natwest and sent to a DCA as the charges mounted) I am still with the phone company but the DD was cancelled when I went into the bank a year ago. There has been no DD payments from this bank account in a year and I have been paying my phone bill online from a different account. It seems the bank have suddenly decided to reinstate the DD on an account that the closed

It is for my phone bill. It is the bank account that has been closed not the phone account(by natwest and sent to a DCA as the charges mounted) I am still with the phone company but the DD was cancelled when I went into the bank a year ago. There has been no DD payments from this bank account in a year and I have been paying my phone bill online from a different account. It seems the bank have suddenly decided to reinstate the DD on an account that the closed

The bank wouldn't have shut the account if it went to a DCA and an amount was owed. Normal procedure would be to cancel all live direct debits on the account prior to the account being sent to a DCA. The phone company did either (a) set up the DD again or (b) reinstated it and tried to claim the DD. The bank even if they had reinstated it, only the phone company could ask for the money for any decision to pay or not pay the DD.

Claim the charges back though ;)

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

the bank told me they had closed my account, that all cards and cheque books were no longer valid and that they had the debt bought off and i was dealing with someone else. surely they cannot reinstate a DD without my authorisation though?

just spoke to the bank the account had got lost .they said that the account cannot be used but tiscali keep trying to reinstate the DD and they have tried to take payment again today and the DD has been cancelled again and the bank say that tiscali can keep reinstating it and there is nothing the bank can do (exept add a new charge each time it happens)

Edited by LittleSnowBear
new info

the bank told me they had closed my account, that all cards and cheque books were no longer valid and that they had the debt bought off and i was dealing with someone else. surely they cannot reinstate a DD without my authorisation though?

Did you receive a closing statement with the balance at £0.00?

The phone company reinstated the Direct Debit NOT the bank. The phone company claimed on the Direct Debit mandate since the account details they held were for the NatWest account. The account is open for money to be paid into it. I think you need to find out (a) When the DD was set up/reinstated? and (b) perhaps for yourself, how this can be done when the account is only for repaying the amount outstanding.

DD was set up on 1st june 2009, the account went into default on the 6th may 2009. the bank said they have cancelled the DD twice in the last week and that its likely they'll try and set it up again even though I pay them from a different account. If there had've been money in there they would have taken payment twice

DD was set up on 1st june 2009, the account went into default on the 6th may 2009. the bank said they have cancelled the DD twice in the last week and that its likely they'll try and set it up again even though I pay them from a different account. If there had've been money in there they would have taken payment twice

I would write to the phone company and politely ask them not to set up a Direct Debit on the natwest account.