Landlords wanting nice tenants please read

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5426 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Mum and i are looking to rent somewhere and thought maybe this might be a way to get ahead.

Problem being (as many will know from my threads) my credit file is screwed up and Estate Agents don't want to know but in the past we have found a place by advertising for an Honest Landlord looking for Honest Tenants so trying that method again.

Landlord would have to accept housing benefit (on income support/Carers Allowance looking after frail old mum long term) but we could get a pre-tenancy determination to see what the DSS would pay as to not waste each others time.

Requirements:

£500-£600 a month

2 bed house or bungalow, rural country location, quiet surroundings as we are quiet people, off road parking and must have a private (non-comunual) garden as i like to grow my own veggies. Doesn't have to be big but no Court yard type please. Lucky prospective landlord will get free pepper and chilli plants for term of tenancy. :)

References:

Personal, current estate agent and current Landlord I'm sure would give us a good reference. We have been here for 5 years now.

Currently renting on a monthly basis *due 28th* so would be able to give a month notice but would prefer signing a tenancy agreement before the moving out day rather than waiting to sign up after we have burnt our bridges so to speak.

Can decorate a bit if needed (I was a joiner for a while and have renovated 2 properties in the past).

Area:

West of Newbury.. east of bath area. Quite flexible but have added a map of the general area.

I have been researching the family tree and they came from Bucklebury, Berks so to be within driving distance of that (compared to Devon) would be really useful. Also have family and cousins further inland.

Would be a long term let (unless property prices fall to £10k for a detached house!) ;)

Thanks for looking.

Davey

newbury-GoogleMaps.jpg

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

• 1 month later...

Still struggling to find somewhere. Estate agents don't even bother replying and often don't update their website for weeks making you think they have properties available when actually they have gone. Promises to send out a property list don't materialise. Bet if i said i had £300k in cash to buy they wouldn't ignore me quite so easily lol

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Never Sign Anything

Best wishes to you, Davey. I wish I could help. :-(

My brother and SIL are going through the same kind of hassle at the moment and it is horrendous, so you and your mum have all my sympathy.

I don't suppose your local authority/Shelter can help?

Thanks Bookwoom :)

Well, we are quite lucky really, nice street, nice gardens, nice landlord so not in dire straights and there are people out there a lot worse off and deserve to go to the top of the Local Authority list before us for sure.

Personally i think estate agents/landlords are discriminating when they state 'no assisted income/DSS' but that's another battle.

Might put that ad in a paper.. that worked once before. We'll get there in the end. just frustrating more than disheartening.

Onwards and upwards

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Never Sign Anything

Personally i think estate agents/landlords are discriminating when they state 'no assisted income/DSS' but that's another battle.

Sorry about your situation, and I am not intimating that you are one of these, but the reality is that many tenants on benefits don't pay their rent and can cost landlords thousands of pounds. This is fact. It is the Landlord who decides not to accept a tenant on benefits, not the agent.

The whole situation has been made worse by the government deciding (BUT ONLY IN THE CASE OF PRIVATE LANDLORDS) that housing benefits be paid direct to the tenant. They then spend the money on something else, and the landlord ends up with a tenant who lives in their property for months paying no rent and costing a fortune to evict.

If you were in my area, I might, just might, consider you as a tenant, but I would have to be persuaded that this would not be a decision I would come to regret!

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Dave, if you have any cash available, it might be worth suggesting to a potential LL that you are willing to pay 3 months rent in advance.

I had the same problem when I left my ex-husband, that most LL wont look at HB tenants. But if you offer them rent in advance, they are somewhat reassured that you will respect their property and are unlikely to lapse on your rent.

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

hi davey

shame your not looking in suffolk, my cousin is looking for a good tennant, she has had some really bad ones

good luck

claire

Thanks Claire,

awww shame.. well tell your cousin to sell up and buy something in berkshire or wiltshire then contact me lol (don't ask much do !) :D

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Never Sign Anything

Dave, if you have any cash available, it might be worth suggesting to a potential LL that you are willing to pay 3 months rent in advance.

I had the same problem when I left my ex-husband, that most LL wont look at HB tenants. But if you offer them rent in advance, they are somewhat reassured that you will respect their property and are unlikely to lapse on your rent.

Thanks.. yes cash flow is a bit of a problem but you're right, having extra for another month or two wouldn't hurt.

Issue om hitting up against at the mo seems to be that a poor credit file stops any chances at getting a place but i'll keep putting those 20 pence pieces in the jam jar all the same. :cool:

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Never Sign Anything

Dave are you sure you would fail a credit check?

My hubby and me have both got crap credit history and have never been turned down

That's a good point there Callumsgram.. I haven't actually been through the procedure of going after a property to such a degree that the agent has instigated formal checks.

I know that some i have asked re credit check have stated they use an outside agency to give them a detailed credit worthiness report so that put me off somewhat knwoing how many defaults i have these days.

Never know til i try though to be sure..

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Never Sign Anything

That's a good point there Callumsgram.. I haven't actually been through the procedure of going after a property to such a degree that the agent has instigated formal checks.

I know that some i have asked re credit check have stated they use an outside agency to give them a detailed credit worthiness report so that put me off somewhat knwoing how many defaults i have these days.

Never know til i try though to be sure..

Well there you go then lol

It might be worth you going to an agent and ask if he'll run a check for you, i believe it costs about £35 each but at least you'll know what you're up against

Think about advertising on gumtree and in freeads for the area you are looking to live in

;)

I did ask a couple about tenant requirements with a poor credit file and they said any blemish on a credit file would mean they require a guarantor :(

Yeah sure.. could ask them to do a trial run as it were (without having a property to go for) and see what comes back. I might be pleasantly surprised.

Then i just need to find an agent that doesn't think most on carers allowance/benefits are dodgy :)

I'll sort those adds out!

Got to get out of Devon that's for sure!

Cheers

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Never Sign Anything