• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Marlin/phoenix - Credit Card - N1 Received ** DISCONTINUED **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

if defence has been exchanged and they pull out

not a chance on bringing another claim

So that account cannot be claimed again by anyone....even if its sold. Just want to clarify our position here. I was thinking about Spam and I dont believe she had put in her defence before it was discontinued.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Crafty...

Here's the CPR...

PART 38 - DISCONTINUANCE - Ministry of Justice

If you've submitted a defence the Claimant would have to get courts permission to resurrect a claim... in my case they discontinued a few days before defence was due in.... they ARE liable for your costs and if you don't wish to set aside the discontinuance and go for a judgement order against Phoenix then you can put in a wasted costs order... not sure about the selling on of the 'debt' though.. :cool:

Spam.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They say money talks......mine just keeps saying "Goodbye"

Thanks both of you for your help. Off to read that thread.

I will really be celebrating next week if my CC goes a similar way, but not holding my breath yet. Otherwise its a fight about the default notice, still this is one off my plate,

Right, this morning I received an AQ from MC for my CC. Just a quick recap, they sent me a copy eventually of the CCA, I will get hubby to scan it in later tonight and post it on here, but suspect its ok.

This what was said about the DN

We confirm Default Notices issued by HSBC are standard in a prescribed format in compliance with the requirements of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. HSBC issued the default notivce to you and it was not returned by the PO. The Default Notice is deemed validly served even if you did not receive it, in accordance with Section 176(2) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

They have stated on their Aq that they want to come to a settlement but unless they provide me with a default notice, I dont want to attempt settlement. What happens if the mediation dept contact me. We did agree another case via mediation, but that was for a OD.

Any guidance from here please. Do I just wait for a trial date to be set, or wait for a mediation appointment, but I dont want to mediate without the correct documentation

• 3 weeks later...

Right I have received a court order re my credit card and I have to sort out disclosure in a couple of weeks. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

I am happy to say that the judge has ordered that Marlin provide the default notice and evidence of service amongst other things

Hi Craftygirl, it's very straightforward really, you need to complete an N265, the main part you will be completing will be the section "I have control of the docs numbered and listed here...."

All you have to do is list any documents you hold relevant to your defence, i.e., letters from you to the claimant, letters from the claimant to you, you should give each item a ref no. such as 1,2,3 etc. or something like 0.1, 0.2 and the date of the letter, so that the claimant can ask to see a particular item if they want.

For correspondence between you and the court I would just put - various from xxxxx date to xxxxxxxx date as I doubt if there will be that much anyway.

and then you can include everything else such as POC that you have received etc, under Statement of case common to both parties - various

The above should be numbered in sequence following on from the rest.

At the beginnig of the N265 (front page) you can just enter info as relevant. i.e., "I am required to make disclosure under the order made by the court on xxxxxxx date.

I did not search for documents pre-dateing : xxxxxxxx (enter relevant date - the oldest document that you are including)

Located elsewhere than : The records in the defendant's possession.

In categories other than : those relevant to this claim.

Everything else just put N/A or tick (or not) as relevant.

then just sign and send off, you don't need to send a copy to the court unless they have specifically said you should.

Also, no need to include case law/legislation which a lot of people do as these are in the public domain and it isn't necessary to list them.

Hope this helps, if you need any more info, let me know,

Magda

• Haha 2

The one that I would have liked to include, has a bit saying

In light of the above, we provide you with the last opportunity to settle this and to sign the consent order.

The rest of the letter refers to the fact that the DN would have been issued in a standard format which is compliant with the CCA

The one that I would have liked to include, has a bit saying

In light of the above, we provide you with the last opportunity to settle this and to sign the consent order.

The rest of the letter refers to the fact that the DN would have been issued in a standard format which is compliant with the CCA

Hi Craftygirl, as far as I know, unless the letter concerned a genuine attempt to negotiate a settlement, then it isn't privileged, so if you feel the letter, on reading all of it, wasn't really concerned with that issue, then you could include it as far as I am aware. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I would just include it and argue that it wasn't part of a settlement attempt (if that's what you believe)

Magda

What is the meaning of 'without prejudice'?

Where negotiations are said to be 'without prejudice', it means that nothing that is said or done is admissible in evidence in any subsequent trial should the negotiations fail. The object of the exercise is to encourage parties to make genuine attempts to settle disputes, without fear of their discussions - and in particular their potential concessions - being subsequently disclosed in court.

There are two circumstances in which 'without prejudice' statements may be admissible in later court proceedings:

• where protection is waived with the express or implied consent of both parties
  • where a settlement is reached following 'without prejudice' negotiations, but one of the parties subsequently fails to honour the terms of the settlement, and the matter therefore ends back in court.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

So are you saying that I shouldnt use the letter Andy.

Its marked without prejudice and mainly is in answer to a letter that I sent requesting a copy of my default notice. They then go on to say I am attempting to fraustrate proceedings cos I wont negotiate a settlement without this.

They also say they are providing me with a last chance to settle this and for me to sign the enclosed consent order.

It would a great letter to include as they are basically saying they dont have the default notice, but HSBC would have sent me one in the prescribed format. They also so that they will disclose to the court that I wouldnt negotiate a settlement without the default notice.

No definitive yes or no CG It can be construed that if the WP attempt was not in its sincerity and not a truthful attempt to settle you could inform the Claimant that you intend to disclose the matter as it would be invaluable and highlight any untruths that they were using in order to mislead the Court and truth.In short hiding behind the WP in an attempt to misdirect justice.

Phew diff to explain that:D

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Thank you Andy

I will be giving my disclosure some thought and sorting it out next weekend. Should I stick rigidly to the dates set by the court or should I wait to see what the claimant comes up with first. I will be surprised if I receive anything before the required date.

Thank you Andy

I will be giving my disclosure some thought and sorting it out next weekend. Should I stick rigidly to the dates set by the court Yes or should I wait to see what the claimant comes up with first.leave till as late as poss in case you do get sight of theirs I will be surprised if I receive anything before the required date.

Well if you dont application to strike out because non disclosure on time is a strike out offense

Regards

Andy

Right, just trying to sort out my disclosure, as need to get it done.

Just a couple of questions,

I am still wondering what I should include. I plan on including letters that have gone either way. Do I need to include the statements and the documentation they sent, they have been advised to include these with their own disclosure. Or should I just include everything I have in my file, just in case I may need it at a later date.

YEs, better safe than sorry.. list everything. If you want to pop your list on here when it is done.. then perhaps if there is anything that you neednt include we can let you know. :)

Chances are, the one thing you leave off, is the one thing you want to rely on.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Here is the list that I have done on Word and was hoping to attach to the N265. I hope I havent gone horribly wrong here, but still time to sort with some help

Letters received from Claimant

0.1 – Letter dated 25 October 2007 – Notice of Assignment

0.2 – Letter dated 1 September 2008 - 2nd Notice of Assignment

0.3 - Letter dated 11 September 2008 - Letter confirming they have checked Land Registry and will be considering Court Action

0.4 - Letter dated 17 February 2009 – Letter Before Action

0.5 - Letter dated 17 March 2009 – Confirming they have requested a copy of the Agreement

0.6 – Letter dated 16 June 2009 – Follow up letter

0.7 – Letter dated 18 August 2009 – Letter enclosing statements. Confirm they are unable to supply a default notice

Letters from Defendant to Claimant

1.0 – Letter dated 27 February 2008 – Request for copy of Consumer Credit Agreement

1.1 – Letter dated 18 September 2008 – Account in Dispute letter

1.2 – Letter dated 19 February 2009 – Letter in reply to their Letter Before Action

1.3 – Undated letter – CPR 31.14 request

1.4 – Letter dated 21 June 2009 – Request for copy of the default notice before negotiating a settlement

Letters from Court

2.0 – Particulars of Claim – Form N1

2.1 – Letters from the Court dated 15 May 2009 – 2 October 2009

Various

3.0 - Bundle of Statements from HSBC dated 18 April 2005 until 17 May 2006

3.1 – Statement of Payments from Marlin Financial dated 30 October 2007 to 13 May 2009

3.2 – Credit Card Agreement, includes Application form and letter received from HSBC dated 10 March 2005

3.3 – 2 Notice of Assignments from Marlin Financial

3.4 – Copy of Allocation Questionnaire submitted by defendant

3.5 – Statement received from Marlin Financial dated 10 October 2008 to 20 October 2009

Edited by Craftygirl42
Added more info after a read around