Is this discrimination

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5495 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My dad found out about a job that was advertising for a traineeship based in a certain postcode area, (as an example xx01 postcode area), I live one mile away from this postcode area, so applied for the job. I know the company and how the company works and the job is on the road repairing in peoples houses. I've now received an email from the company advising that i my application has not been accepted due to me not living in the postcode area. I had stated on the online application form that i only lived a mile away from the postcode area that they were advertising for.

Can they legally refuse my application because my home postcode is one mile away from their advertised postcode?? I'd like to challenge them on their refusal but would like to know where i stand before i do this.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Bearmaggie

discrimination is usually onthe grounds of race/ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or age... not sure how the post code would fall into discrimination...

so the job advertisement specified applicants must live ina particular postcode? what is the reason for this requirement?

I'm wondering if the post is grant funded somehow and targeted at deprived areas. I don't honestly know but would be inclined to write to the company, highlighting your disappointment and bewilderment and ask them for an explanation.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

The job role is fixing things in customers houses. Generally they give you a postcode area to deal with. This means that you get all jobs in that area, but according to someone i know who already does this job with this company, they tend to deal with a larger area i.e. postcodes xx01, xx02, xx03 - in other words all postcodes within the xx area and you could go to any jobs in these postcode areas in a day, so i know the company doesn't restrict you to just one postcode area.

Any advice on what i should say to them??

Write back and suggest that you do indeed live in that postcode area and request that they revisit their decision?!?

Is there anything on their form or your application which could give them the impression that you are some minority or other which then could suggest that they have discriminated?