• Tweets

• Thank you very much for your letter in regard to the above mentioned shipment.  Due to the high volume of parcels coursing through the courier network each day, undergoing continuous processing and handling, certain packages may experience delays or even can get lost in the course of this journey. Please note that due to the time that has passed, this shipment has been declared as lost.  I have today processed the claim and made offers to the value of £75 as a goodwill gesture without prejudice. I do acknowledge that you have mentioned in your letter that the value was higher, however, you did not take out any protection to that amount. The protection for this shipment was £20 and we will not be increasing our goodwill offer any further.    Please log into your account online in order to accept our offer. Once accepted, our accounts department will process the claim accordingly. The claim payment will be processed and received within 7 working days.                                  In addition, a refund of the carriage fee will be processed as a separate payment and will be received within 3 working days.  If I can further assist, please feel free to contact me.   I have also just noticed that yesterday afternoon they sent me an email stating that "after my request" they have refunded the cost of shipping. I did not request the refund so will mention that in my letter as well.
    • Hi I had to leave Dubai back in 2011, during the financial crisis. And only now have I received a letter from IDRWW. Is this anything to worry about about as I have 2 years left until it’s been 15 years(statute barred in Dubai). Worried as just got a mortgage 2 years ago. Could they force me in to bankruptcy? Red lots of different threads on here. And unsure what true and what isn’t. 
    • Not that TOR will see this now he's thrown in the hand grenade. Rayner has plenty of female supporters on X, for a start. As for the council and HMRC, fair enough and I thought Rayner was already in touch with them. That's where it should be dealt with, not the police force. @tobyjugg2 Daniel Finkelstein thinks the same as you about tax. The Fiver theory. How the Fiver Theory explains this election campaign ARCHIVE.PH archived 28 May 2024 17:36:51 UTC  
    • Often with the Likes of Lowells/ Overdales that 'proof' doesn't stand up to scrutiny.   Think about it like a game of poker, they want to intimidate you into folding and giving up as soon as possible, and just get you to pay up and roll over, that is their business model, make you think your cards are rubbish. What they don't expect, and their business isn't set up for it, is for a defendant to find this place and to learn that they have an amazing set of cards to play. Overdales don't have an infinite number of lawyers, paralegals etc, and the time / money to spend on expensive court cases, that they are highly likely to lose, hence how hard they will try to get you to roll over.  Even to the extent of faking documents, which they need to do because the debts that they purchased were so cheap, in the first place. Nevertheless it works in most cases, most people chicken out, when they are so close to winning, and a holding defence is like slowly showing Overdales your first card, and a marker of intention that this could get tricky for them. In fact it may be,  although by no means guaranteed that it won't even go any further than that.  Even if it does, what they send you back will almost certainly have more holes than Swiss Cheese, and if with the help you receive here, you can identify those weaknesses and get the whole thing tossed in the bin.
    • So Rayner who is don’t forget still being investigated by the local council and HMRC  is now begging to save her seat Not a WOMAN in sight in this video other than Rayner  Farage is utterly correct this country’s values are non existent in her seat   Rayner Pleads With Muslim Voters as Pressure From Galloway Grows – Guido Fawkes ORDER-ORDER.COM Guido has obtained a leaked tape from inside a meeting between Angela Rayner and Muslim voters in Ashton-under-Lyne...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Invalid Default Notices

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this is important for people who have not written and accepted

unlawful termination on the back of a faulty default notice.

so have look and let the debate Begin

The election to affirm or terminate a

contract after breach

The Court of Appeal has considered the principles which govern whether a party

has exercised an election to affirm a contract following a repudiatory breach

by the other party, as well as the effect of a “boilerplate” clause that was

designed to preserve a party’s rights to enforce the contract despite delays on its

part in seeking to protect or enforce its position. The principal judgment was

delivered by Aikens LJ, with whom Ward and Richards LJJ agreed. The case

also dealt with other matters, but the discussion as to the doctrine of election

is the one that is important for present purposes.

The facts concerned a contract which one party (T) had breached in a

repudiatory manner, which would have entitled the other party (P) to terminate

the contract. With full knowledge of the breach, P did nothing and continued with

its own performance for almost a year. At that point, P purported to rely on its

right to terminate the contract. T alleged that P had elected to affirm the contract

and so had lost the right to terminate the contract and that, in consequence, P’s

purported termination had itself amounted to a repudiatory breach of the

contract which gave rise to a right in T to terminate and claim damages.

In answer, P claimed that it was entitled to delay in exercising its rights as it

could rely on a clause in the contract which provided that:

“In no event shall any delay, neglect or forbearance on the part of any party

in enforcing (in whole or in part) any provision of this Agreement be or be

deemed to be a waiver thereof or a waiver of any other provision or shall

in any way prejudice any right of that party under this Agreement”.

Aikens LJ summarised the principles that apply to determine if a party has

elected to affirm a contract, as they had been set out by Lord Goff in Motor Oil

Hellas (Corinth) Refineries SA v. Shipping Corp. of India (The

Kanchenjunga) [1990] 1 Lloyd’s Rep 391, at 397- 399, as follows (at [53]):

“(1) If a contract gives a party a right to terminate upon the occurrence of

defined actions or inactions of the other party and those actions or

inactions occur, the innocent party is entitled to exercise that right. The

innocent party has to decide whether or not to do so. Its decision is, in law, an

election. (2) It is a prerequisite to the exercise of the election that the party

concerned is aware of the facts giving rise to its right and the right itself. (3)

The innocent party has to make a decision, because if it does not do so

then ‘the time may come when the law takes the decision out of [its] hands,

either by holding [it] to have elected not to exercise the right which has

become available to [it], or sometimes by holding [it] to have elected to

exercise it’ [per Lord Goff in the Motor Oil Hellas case at 398, left side

of the report]. (4) Where, with knowledge of the relevant facts, the

party that has the right to terminate the contract acts in a manner which is

consistent only with it having chosen one or other of two alternative and

inconsistent courses of action open to it (ie. to terminate or affirm the contract),

then it will be held to have made its election accordingly. (5) An election

can be communicated to the other party by words or conduct. However, in

cases where it is alleged that a party has elected not to exercise a right, such

as a right to terminate a contract on the happening of defined events, it will

only be held to have elected not to exercise that right if a party ‘has so

communicated [its] election to the other party in clear and unequivocal

terms’ [per Lord Goff in the Motor Oil Hellas case at 398, right side of the page]”.

His Lordship said that it is a question of fact whether a party has elected to

terminate or affirm a contract in a situation where it is in the position that it

has to decide whether or not to exercise the right to terminate. The party has

elected either to affirm the contract or it has not done so. If it has not affirmed the

contract then the right to terminate will remain exercisable. In that light, he said

that the clause set out above was of no help to P, except in emphasising that a

clear and unequivocal communication is required of the exercise of an election to

abandon the right to terminate and to abandon its right to terminate or it did

not. If it did elect to abandon its right to terminate then the whole contract,

including the clause, would continue in existence. He said that, “The general law

demands that a party which has a contractual right to terminate a contract

must elect whether or not to do so”. His Lordship did say, however, that a party

which had elected to affirm the contract and not to terminate it might still have a

action for damages arising from the breach that had occurred.

Aikens LJ also said that, on its wording, the clause quoted above did not deal at

all with the issue of whether or not an election had been exercised. By way of

commentary, it is difficult to imagine how much more explicit the clause could

have been. From other comments that he made, it appears that his Lordship was

doubtful whether any clause could exclude the operation of the doctrine of

election and the requirements as to its exercise.

It is also interesting to note that in another part of his judgment, his

Lordship referred to the principle that if a party to a contract purports to

terminate it for the wrong reason but subsequently discovers facts which

would have justified its action in terminating the contract, the termination

will be valid. In that regard, he referred to Boston Deep Sea and Ice Co. v.

Ansell (1888) 39 ChD 339 and Lord Sumner in British and Benningtons Ltd

v. North Western Cachar Tea Co. Ltd [1923] AC 48, at 72. By way of

additional comment, in the context of the operation of an events of default clause

and the enforcement of security, see Byblos Bank SAK v. Al Khudhairy

(1986) 2 BCC 99549, Anglo Petroleum Ltd v. TFB (Mortgages) Ltd [2003]

EWHC 3125 (QB), Brampton Manor (Leisure) Ltd v. McClean [2006] EWHC

2983 (Ch), County Leasing Ltd v. East [2007] EWHC 2907 (QB), at [120]-[124].

Tele2 International Card Co. SA v. PostOffice Ltd [2009] EWCA Civ 9 (21/1/2009).

wp3

1/ what part of what you posted leads you to that conclusion

this part

His Lordship said that it is a question of fact whether a party has elected to

terminate or affirm a contract in a situation where it is in the position that it

has to decide whether or not to exercise the right to terminate. The party has

elected either to affirm the contract or it has not done so. If it has not affirmed the

contract then the right to terminate will remain

2/ why, when it is so easy to write and accept it- would you want to

"take the risk"?

For some people they find out that they had this option month's or Even years after the fact this point shows that time is not a factor

Edited by welshperson3

I've received a DN from MBNA dated 08.02.10 but they registered the account as default with CRA - Experian with a status [8] on 29.01.10.

According to the Experian's explanation of status history, the status [8] means that: "The account is in 'default'. You failed to keep to your credit agreement and have not responded satisfactorily to requests to bring your payments up to date, so the credit agreement has ended."

Am I right in thinking that the account would be terminated from the date they registered the account as default, so any DN served afterwards would not save them from breaching the s87 of the CCA 1974, and surely it's a unlawful rescission.:?

just my opinion but i think that a default that is registered with CRA is not a act of termination it just says that the account is in default. a DN doesn't terminate the agreement a termination noticeis needed for that, or a act on they're behalf refusing you your rights to carry on with the agreement

Edited by welshperson3

hi diddydicky

On this default notice thread there are now over 1300 posts so it goes to show that there are a lot of dodgy DN about and it seems to me that a lot of people are still struggling to understand what it that makes a default notice invalid .

Now on to my point ;) how do u feel about writing a list of things that make a DN dodgy

example

1 Demanding the full balance ?

answer they are only legally allowed to claim the arrears as a DN is a notice telling you that you are in arrears and giving you the chance to pay the arrears bring your account back up to date

2 14 days notice ?

Answer bla bla bla

3 Prescribed paragraphs ?

a bla bla bla

b bla bla bla

c bla bla bla

Then post it up get people to comment and add what they can when finished ask mods to make it a sticky

Then do the same with a acceptance letter :wink:

WP3

Edited by welshperson3

I also see this mentioned a lot unlawful rescission i cant quite get my head around this one.

I understand unlawful and i understand rescission.

what i don't understand is how they work together

I do understand unlawful termination

Noun1.rescission - (law) the act of rescinding; the cancellation of a contract and the return of the parties to the positions they would have had if the contract had not been made; "recission may be brought about by decree or by mutual consent"

Edited by welshperson3

A good post 1369 diddydicky it is this type of thing that can clarify how things work and if people put Their heads together then simple steps on how to deal with a dodgy DN could be achieved.

1 what is a dodgy dn ?

2 how to respond to a dodgy dn ?

3 how to defend in court on a dodgy dn ?

after 1300 posts there should be enough information to clear up the above points .

my point about unlawful rescission in post 1368 is if anyone sending letters to bank ,solicitors,etc, accepting termination and then gets the letter wrong the solicitor might by more inclined to push for it to go to court, in the assumption that the letter writer doesn't know what he is doing.

hence a acceptance template letter could be good, if people put Thayer heads together I'm sure something good will come out

this is from post 3 of A TALE OF DODGY DN it is a responce to surfaceagentx20 original post

I think this is a salutary tale of how knowing your topic properly can make the difference between winning and losing the battle. I often wonder about the bush lawyers on CAG who leap in with advice which I personally feel is dubious - and which sometimes fails to achieve the desired result.

In your example you have convinced the claimant's solicitors that you are well on top of the legalities and that they cannot make a winnable case. An amateur (like myself I have to admit) might with some research determine all the legalities of the matter but would certainly not convince the opposition that you were in any way an expert and that you regarded your defence as automatically won.

I think that a template acceptance letter detailing the precise points of law could prevent a lot of cases getting as far as court.

WP3

hi BRW

Plenty of valid points raised there and i understand were you are coming from with the idiot guide about people following it blindly and not understanding what they are doing.

The same can be said about much of the litigation that goes on around this site there are people who start litigation and don't know what cpr is, but they get help and they get stage by stage help and more often than not get the result they want.

My point about the acceptance letter is that this is pre litigation and if you get it right at this stage then it has the possibility of stoping it going to litigation.

If it goes to court then at least the paperwork is right for this part.

The basic form of this is two parts

1 accept the rescission

2 tell then that as the contract is over then so are they're rights to process your data

The point you make about not telling them how to put the DN right

most of the company's that we see on here that are issuing the faulty DN are banks building society and credit cards.

these are multi billion pound company's that at the time of writing up the DN didn't pay enough attention to detail when they start to reallies that a faulty DN can be terminal then they are going to pay it a lot more attention

at this point i find it hard to believe that such big company's are going to have some guy surfing the net trying to find out to fix the problem of a faulty DN.

Eureka he finds cag and saves the company.

This is how i think it will go

Bank gets more and more cases going to court on the DN issue,

Bank gets p****d **f calls in the barristers

They research CCA and case law and then come out with a all new DN

WP3

The barristers will get all the info of what is wrong by looking at what has gone thro court .

if you really think that they are going to be looking on cag for the answer to a multi million pound problem and take what you me and every other Jo blogs think then you really are thinking to hard

The reason that the creditors don't particularly care for the accuracy of their DN's is because to them it is all a "numbers game"

the amount of caggers and other sites breeding LIP's to fight them is but a pimple on a dimple on a fleas left ball!!

they send out 10,000 DN's 5,000 people pay up or come to an arrangement out of fear (and because they dont know about sites like this)

4750 dont respond because they are skint and the creditor goes on to get a CCJ by default

250 are caggers and the like

until the odds shift considerably against them, i venture to suggest they are quite happy with these odds!!

I agree with that Dicky

It is only when the snowball grows that they will do something about it exactly what happened with bank charges

If the CMC start pushing faulty DN then it wont be long before a faulty DN becomes an endangered species

they should be in a reply to a SAR if you have asked for all information held on you, but company's are very selective on what they think they can get away with sending, different company's send out different info in they're reply but i don't think any company sends it all.

quick question...

DN is defective when 14 days is given rather than a date?

and if terminated on this DN makes unlawful termination/recission?

Only asking for clarity as Im reading myself in circles :D

technically you are right BUT if that is the only thing wrong then i would guess that your chances of winning on that are very low (JUDGE LOTTERY)

wp3

• Haha 1

have you paid over one third ?

is there a statement on the DN like the one below ?

if the agreement is one of hire purchase or conditional sale, a statement saying: but if you have paid at least one third of the total amount payable under the agreement set out below (or any installation charge plus one third of the rest of the amount payable). The creditor may not take back the goods against your wishes unless he gets a court order.

the problem that i think you might have here is that they will come and take the car.

then it could be months or even years later that they then chase you for the outstanding balance. bye that time you lost the car .

I'm struggling with what options you have

1 try and workout a payment plan with them

2 take them to court

3 let them take the car and defend in court

i m not recommending any of the above but hopefully others can add to it

and then it is up to you to try and pick what you think is best way forward for you

• 2 weeks later...
most agreements allow the creditor to restrict or prevent use of the card, to reduce or increase the credit limit without terminating the agreement

providing the debtor is still able to enjoy the benefit of repaying what is owed by montly instalments of his own choosing (subject usually to a mimimum) then the agreement endures and the creditor is not in breach

Do DCA hold a license to operate credit cards if not then it is obviously terminated as they cant keep to the original agrrement.thus taking away your rights under the contract.

your right to more credit is not your only right under the contract

wp3

• 4 weeks later...

There is case law to show that if you have not specifically told the creditor that you wish to continue with the agreement then the option to accept rescission will always remain open.

It is always better to act promptly in this situation but the door is never closed until you tell the creditor you wish to carry on with the agreement.

wp3

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks