style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today my brother has been visited by a bailiff. he has posted a letter through his letter box saying they are going to come for his car. (Its a council tax debt) The letter says he must find the money in 24 hours or they will be back for his car. He has moved the car to another property but is there anything else he can do or is it too late. He has buried his head in the sand and not answered letters. Is it too late for him to go to court and ask for the N245 form?

Was it a county court bailiff?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi there, can you find out a bit more information? it's not normally a county court bailiff who chases council tax.

The court hearing for council tax arrears(you don't need to attend) usually results in a liability order which the council will either pass to a private bailiff company to collect on their behalf or apply for an attachment of earnings order.

Tell your brother to hide the car somewhere else (preferably in a garage or somewhere it can be locked up. Is he in a position to make any payments to the council tax?

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Thank you Ellen. I have just told my sister about this site and she is going to refer him to this thread later so hopefully we can update with more info. At the moment he has driven his car to a relatives house to hide it.

Today my brother has been visited by a bailiff. he has posted a letter through his letter box saying they are going to come for his car. (Its a council tax debt) The letter says he must find the money in 24 hours or they will be back for his car.

You need to give more information than that...

What exactly does the letter say.

Has the bailiff already seized/levied on the car?

Is your brother on benefit?

If the bailiff has already seized the car, then unless there is something about the bailiffs action that is unlawful - it is now the bailiffs property.