british gas default registeded but ne nitoce recieved? please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5543 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, after helping my bro look at his credit file i thought it wise to check my own.

British gas have registered a dafault on my file in december 2008 - relating to an outstanding amount from old property in dec 2007. i got dca letters re this and said to them, over the phone that i didnt think the amount was right £700, usualy amount would be £400ish they insisted it was correct and they collected on behalf of BG adn didnt have access to the data- i insisted i wasnt paying and it should be sent back to BG - as the dca didnt seem to be listening.

This was in nov 2008 - (they wrote to me at my new address) I then gota letter stating it was being returned to the original debtor -BG. I assumed taht this was on my request! anyway, i was due to give birth in december so it went to the back of my things to do list. I never heard from BG, but it was only 12 weeks or so ago that the dca said the debt was going back to BG so thought no more of it.

Today i found out they registered a default in dec 2008. Now they never wrote to me to issue a default etc...is the process the same with utilities? as i have never had a default notice, and they obviously had my new address as the dca wrote to me here is it still valid, can i get it removed? i have no issue paying monies owed but no way is it 700 quid

This has really put the spanner in the works as we sold our house in nov 2008 and have been renting til now, we have seen house we want - but now a mortgage in current climate is unlikely with recent default

Also, i was made redundant in October and secured myself a job as a trainee FA, due to start in May after maternity leave but i need a clean credit report to do the job and the company will search my files prior to me starting - this was on the job offer, subject to credit check so i risk now my home and my job.

sorry for the long post but can anyone help???

The confusion is they like to use terms that frighten - they are saying you are 'in default' of their agreement with you, and have noted this on your credit agency file. It is NOT a default that follows a CCA 'Default' for non payment of a financial agreement.

They simply have to say you didn't pay your bill, and your account with them is in default, or has been defaulted. No requirement for a formal Notice of Default or anything like it - a Final Demand or Notice of Disconnection is usually the last thing you get before the default is notified to the credit reference agency.

The confusion is they like to use terms that frighten - they are saying you are 'in default' of their agreement with you, and have noted this on your credit agency file. It is NOT a default that follows a CCA 'Default' for non payment of a financial agreement.

They simply have to say you didn't pay your bill, and your account with them is in default, or has been defaulted. No requirement for a formal Notice of Default or anything like it - a Final Demand or Notice of Disconnection is usually the last thing you get before the default is notified to the credit reference agency.

thanks for the info,so are you saying that it isnt a 'default' as such even tho it clearly states default on my credit report? sorry for the question i just need to be clear in my mind

The default was placed on my file AFTER the DCA passed it back to BG, but i ASKED them to pass it back to BG then i could sort it out with them, and query the amount as BG wouldnt speak to me as it was with a DCA, surely that is wrong to place a default on my file when i am happy to pay the amount - but not the amount they are stating??

Do i have any chance of getting this removed?

It wouldnt usually bother me as i dont like credtit etc but i was made redundant in october and have secured a role as a trainee finacial advisor to start in June (once my maternity leave has finished)- but the terms of my employemnt mean i have to have a credit check done on me, now i have declared that i have no adverse finances - which i didnt at the time..but now i do so in effect i will loose the job

please advise, thanks

With BG the dates are often of little consequence - as they place the marker when it goes to the DCA it just took them their time. Can it be removed? Absolutely, but you get them to resolve the problem of what is owed, and as part of your negotiation you say; "and of course you'll be removing that misleading default on my credit file" when you pay them what is actually owed.

They have a consistent record of appalling customer resolution issues, so don't be afraid to be firm (but nice!).