Ending Tenancy and Fair Wear and Tear

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5544 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello There, I am ending my tenancy and leaving the two bedroom property on March 07, 2009. When we moved in, about two and a half years ago, no formal inventory was done. However, the flat was unfurnished anyway. The carpets were okay but not new and the walls were not painted new either, there were marks on the walls but not too many.

I am a father of two young daugthers, one of whom has been born while we were living in this property. Now you know that little children do spill drinks on the floor and carpets. Sometimes they also draw occassional pencil lines on the walls. We have been trying to clean the walls and carpets as much as we could, but they are definitely not in the state when we moved in. The carpets has been degraded and the walls have some more marks too.

My question is whether the landlord can charge us for new paint and carpet cleaning, or whether this issue comes under "fair wear and tear" clause (and thus not chargeable from our deposit)?

Hi there, my kids spill drinks and draw on walls too lol.

I would certainly get the carpet cleaned, just to avoid any reductions from your deposit, maybe a touch up over the drawings with paint. Dont really think that can be called fair wear and tear.

Best of luck x

Just to add though, if there was no inventory when the tenancy started it is down to the LL/LA to prove the state of the house, but as you have stated there are a few more marks on walls and carpet stained it would seem only fair to rectify these things. x

Edited by help me kick his butt

Please note, my advice is only my opinion.

If you have found my advice helpful, please tip my scales, thank you