collection of an unsecured uk debt in New Zealand

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5450 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have today received a letter from a DCA in NZ "representing" a company in canada that has bought a debt from Barclays uk (A loan I turned my back on after dramas with barclays, not a huge sum 2400 gbp's outstanding when I emigrated to NZ from the uk 5 years ago), I havent heard anything from them since leaving, but thats understandable as I have moved a couple of times and didnt leave an address.

But my questions is/are, is this enforcable in NZ, what should I do, do I call the DCA and tell them I dont know what they're talking about and deny or just tell them to f'off (sorry), ignore it, whats going to happen, whats the advice, I dont intend paying them anything.

I have understood from reading some web threads that there is no agreement in nz with the uk for un-secured debt recovery, im not aware that there is a ccj against me, to be honest I dont care as Im settled here and dont intend going back apart from the odd family visit. your thoughts advice most welcome.

yes debt Im not proud, but they (barclays) made heaps from me over 25 years.....:x

As there is no reciprocal agreement between the UK & NZ and they are acting for a Canadian Co., just how do they think they can enforce anything? Besides which if you haven't paid anything or made any written acknowledgement it becomes statute barred in England/Wales/NI after 6 years (5 in Scotland). Personally I would just file their missive under 'trash', they're just phishing. ;)

• Haha 1

As there is no reciprocal agreement between the UK & NZ and they are acting for a Canadian Co., just how do they think they can enforce anything? Besides which if you haven't paid anything or made any written acknowledgement it becomes statute barred in England/Wales/NI after 6 years (5 in Scotland). Personally I would just file their missive under 'trash', they're just phishing. ;)

thanks for that, reading this forum has helped heaps in understanding my position and how I should react and act. In this case not to act. I was tempted at the time to call them and give them a piece of mind, but I understand that is not the way and glad I sat down at the pc and did some knowledge seeking.

I left that piece of history due the excessive charges I was being given by the bank and was in despute with them at the time, but didnt know where to go for advice, I wish I knew about this forum it would have helped. it was one of the reasons for getting away from the uk - the excessive bleeding of consumers by banks and the credit industry.

• 2 months later...

Would this situation be the same if in Australia rather than New Zealand?:-?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I have a similar problem, but it was a credit company (store goods) not a bank, but they have engaged the services of a local debt collection agency, who have paid me a few couple of visits and dozens of letters. I didn’t answer their letters, and the second time they came around I said thank you for making me aware of the situation, and then asked them to leave politely. They pressed me for an answer regarding payment, and I insisted that they (the debt collectors) and I had no business between us, other than the fact that they had been instructed to give me a message and that I would look into it. A year on and I have found a problem when I needed to set up an account with a company, they told me that I had been flagged up as owing an amount of money (in NZ dollars) to this debt collection agency, and that a default had been issued against me a year ago.

I was under the impression from the previous post, and others, that because a debt under these circumstances, ie one incurred from the UK, and one that couldn’t be enforced here in NZ, it surely couldn’t be added as a bad debt marker to your NZ credit rating, and such information as “default issued” or in fact an amount in NZ$ by the NZ collection agency, … well is this right? I mean can they do that?

I think that the bottom line is that the company who I have been trying to open an account with are under the impression that I have occurred this debt in NZ, and that I have some sort of default against me here! Can I instruct the NZ credit rating corp to remove this information?

Any help or advice please, and just to save any unwanted advice, the debt has not been acknowledged by me here, and it cannot be paid back for reasons other than just financial which I wont divulge.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I cannot offer any advice but I will be in the same position as you by the end of the year as I will be moving back to NZ with debts owing in the UK so I would be interested to know how you get on.

I don't suppose you know how a UK bankruptsy affects you in NZ do you?

Thanks

So far no luck.... apparently it is I who have to prove that I dont have the debt, and apparently they can list a debt from anywhere in the world they please!!!?? This has distroyed my credit rating here in NZ, and there is nothing i can do about it at present! The credit reporter and the debt collectors have in my opinion acted like a bunch of mongrels.

I have even said okay, take me to court and lets see what you have, but no response yet!!!

Bastards the lot of them.