How Long Does The Dvla Hold Your Motoring Offence Records?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4808 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Insofar as the DVLA systems are capable of holding any data securely:eek:, they hold it for ever.

..and when they no longer hold it, they have probably given it out to every Tom Dick or Harry so you can get it from there. Failing that, search the nearest roundabout, as being a government body, they have more than likely lost a disk on it some time recently.

thanks everyone for your comments inc the funny ones...and yeah they do never receive our letters.....they still think my car is not taxed even thou I have sent proof in twice lol

It depends on th offence, speeding offences,no insurance etc will drop off after 4 years.

No. That's when they can be taken off your licence and that wasn't the OP's question.

The question was "How long do the DVLA hold the record?" and the answer is forever.

Hi everyone I got my answer through the freedom of information act this is what the dvla said...........

Thank you for your e-mail of 25 February asking for information under

the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. The information you

require is freely available and this is being answered as "Business as

usual."

Endorsements remain on a driving licence (and DVLA's computer records)

for:

11 years from the date of conviction for offences relating to

drink/drugs and driving, causing death by careless driving whilst uinder

the influence of drink/drugs and causing death by careless driving then

failing to provide a specimen for analysis.

4 years from date of conviction for reckless/dangerous driving and

offences resulting in disqualification.

4 years from the date of offence in all other cases.

After this time, the spent endorsements are deleted from DVLA's

computer records. DVLA does not hold any manual paper records of

motoring offences.

Yours sincerely

Cheryl James

Drivers Customer Support

dont you have to write in to them to actually get it removed? otherwise it just stays on??

only in so far as the points are physically on your paper part of your license. If you don't send it back after 4 years then they will be visible on your license for as long as you keep it, although they will be invalid points.

Of course, if you send your license back to have them removed, they are not actually removed from your license, they are simply producing a new license for you from their current database, which ties in with their official response that these points were deleted from their files and therfore aren't printed on the new license.

I simply don't believe their official response I'm afraid.

Trying taking a motoring offence as far as Court. When the matter of sentencing arises, the Magistrates have a printout of your entire motoring offence history since the year dot.

Hi everyone I got my answer through the freedom of information act this is what the dvla said...........

After this time, the spent endorsements are deleted from DVLA's

computer records. DVLA does not hold any manual paper records of

motoring offences.

Cheryl James

Drivers Customer Support

Could it be the 'record' is maintained elsewhere than with the DVLA?

say, a Court or Records office?

Could S8NDS respond to the DVLA with what PatDavis says and ask for their comment in view of the apparently conflicting information?

Could it be the 'record' is maintained elsewhere than with the DVLA?

say, a Court or Records office?

Could S8NDS respond to the DVLA with what PatDavis says and ask for their comment in view of the apparently conflicting information?

Yeah no worries I will ask them that...............get back to you guys soon

Also this particular speeding offence was committed in wales.....if I needed the information from the magistrates court there who would I contact as I am unaware of where the license was originally sent? It was a apaper license and its been lost so cant even check the license? Plus there is nothing on the DVLA computer system as it happened 4.5 years ago.

Thanks

Edited by S8NDS

Someone I know had endorsements on this licence from 1972, 1980 and 5 years ago had to appear in court with his paper licence, which was issued in 1977.

On production of the licence, the Mags. Clerk told the Magistrates that both endorsements were spent, and should treat my mate's licence as clean.

This duly happened, and no notice was taken of the old spent endorsements when considering the case on trial at the time.

• 3 months later...
I simply don't believe their official response I'm afraid.

Trying taking a motoring offence as far as Court. When the matter of sentencing arises, the Magistrates have a printout of your entire motoring offence history since the year dot.

Not sure if this is going to be any help but my experience of this is that when I was 17 in 1979 I was banned from driving for 12 months as I failed a breath test as I was one point over the limit. - Very young and stupid and learned a big lesson.

in 1991 I got caught speeding and had to go to the magistrates court. I was very worried because at that time I needed my car for my job and thought that because my licence showed that I had already been banned once before that this would go against me. Also because of the speed I had been travelling I could have been automatically banned too.

In the court the judge asked the clerk of the court if I had any penalty points on the licence and the clerk replied that the licence had no penalty points and was clean.

I am sure that the court representitive would have seen that my licence showed the ban but as more than 11 years had passed it was obviously a spent conviction.

Because of the circumstances surrounding the reason why I was driving so fast the court had discretion and I didnt lose my licence - had 6 points added and a fine.

I had to surrender my licence to the court and when it came back from DVLA the original conviction from 1979 had been removed.

When it became a requirement to have a photo ID driving licence I applied for a new one and when it came the 6 points from 1991 also have been removed too.

So my experience is that if the time has lapsed even if the conviction still shows on the licence it does not go against you in court.

• 1 year later...

If the DVLA was holding on to details of long expired endorsements then they could come into conflict with the Information Commissioner as holding on to such information would be a breach of the Data Protection Act. Information has to be relevant and topical/timely and I doubt DVLA would be able to argue that having information relating to a long expired endorsement would be compliant.

As for the courts getting print outs from DVLA. the print outs only show endorsements that are current. They do not show expired endorsements.