• Tweets

• TBH gotta be quite frank here as much as we hate BM world. why didn't you not simply change the battery? or come here FIRST before launch a court claim? or let them do it.? a flat battery is gonna be a hard case to win +£500 on     
    • Hi all, thanks for the feedback. I have now made the final amends and included the supporting evidence in this final version of the WS / court bundle. Attached is the redacted version of this final WS / court bundle. If there is any further feedback, please do let me know. If not, I will get 2 copies printed for posting - 1 to the court and the other to Evri. Final Draft - Witness Statement and Court Bundle redacted.pdf
    • We dispute the claim on the basis the claimant has made not efforts to mitigate their losses, nor did they obtain any prior authorisation. The claimant purchased a used Mini Cooper Convertible from our dealership on or around 21st April 2023. On or around 23rd April 2023 the claimant notified ourselves that the vehicle had failed to start, the claimant had since had this diagnosed as a battery. The Claimant proceeded to book their vehicle with Stephen James (BMW/Mini Main Agent) and authorised a battery replacement and paid a total sum of £597.42, the claimant obtained no authorisation for this cost beforehand, and has since tried reclaiming the full amount. We have advised the claimant we would not consider the cost of the unauthorised repair he has had completed. Had the claimant returned the vehicle to the selling dealer, it is likely we would have offered to replace the battery at no further cost to themselves, we have therefore agreed to offer a contribution of £165 towards the repair. This cost is in line with the cost of a replacement battery had the vehicle been returned to ourselves.    
    • You can only get a CCJ if you lose the case and then stick two fingers up to the court and refuse to pay. Even in the very, very unlikely event of you losing, as long as you paid within the 30 days ordered by the court you wouldn't get a CCJ. But you've come here very late and we need the sticky filling in please.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Boonyed v Barclays **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok folks... not much posting by me lately...

However, I now have a court date of 24th October... (long time off but my choice) I have emailed Mr Jeremiah and Nick Cardigan to offer them a chance to settle prior to court... I will start my email with the words 'without prejudice'...

I will keep you posted...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent my bundle off to the court and copied it to Barclays last week, I received a letter yesterday offering me what amounted to 80% of the total sum they owe me. The interesting thing about the letter from Mr Jeremiah was that it was headed 'without prejudice save as for costs'.

After doing a little research myself and having spoken with a senior member of this site I have taken the decision to reject Mr Jeremiah's offer and sent the following letter;

Dear Mr Jeremiah

Thank you for your letter dated **********2006.

I see that what you are offering me is in effect a ‘Part 36 Offer’.

However, I know and I fully expect that you know that part 36 offers do not apply to small claims.

I consider that your letter is an attempt to mislead me and to intimidate me by presuming a lack of knowledge on my part.

If we do go to court on this then I shall be pointing out your tactic to the judge when the time comes to discuss costs.

I am prepared to accept £****, plus 8% interest calculated at the date you send your cheque, plus my £*** court fee.

I am not prepared to accept anything else, please do not bother to contact me again if you do not agree to this.

Yours sincerely

It seems that Mr Jeremiah and Barclays Bank will try anything to deter people from going to court. They do not want to lose a case as this will open the flood gates to everyone who has had penalty charges taken from their accounts.

Stick with it, its your money!!!!!

BOON

Good on you Boon

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

Nice one BOON, It would be easy to see why at first you would be tempted to accept the offer... However it is 80% of whats rightfully yours... Yes, its your money these people have taken in the name of charges... unfair and illegal penalties...

Stick with it, the last thing the banks want is to end up in court and lose and have a judgement against them... I can see the case law now... Boon v Barclays 2006...

Well done... :)

I've just received the following e-mail from Mr Jeremiah.

Without prejudice

Dear Mr ******

I refer to my letter of ** August 2006. I am enquirying as to your decision regarding my settlement offer of £*****

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Keith Jeremiah

Legal Executive (Fellow)

Barclays Legal: Litigation & Disputes

Floor 29

One Churchill Place

Canary Wharf

London,

E14 5HP

To say he's their legal representative, you'd expect that he'd be able to spell!!!!

I told him to poke it and I'd only settle for the full amount.

BOON

Mr Jeremiah has returned my e-mail accepting my request for a full refund including costs and interest.....which is nice!!!

Stick with it everyone, you too will get yours.

BOON

I agree!!!!

I think it was 9th March when I sent my first letter.....over 5 months and they now decide to pay out!! I wonder how many have given up after a few weeks, or when challenged by Barclays.

My advice is to keep going, don't give up, they are playing the game all you have to do is play it with them.

I keep saying it and I'll say it again..... IT'S YOUR MONEY.

BOON

I've sent off the ammended Barclays letter, accepting Mr Jeremiah's kind offer of a full settlement, including cost and interest. I've crossed out the confidentiality clause and informed him that I will inform the court when the money clears. That only gives him till Thursday......lets hope he's on the ball, they're working to my timescale now!!!

If anyone else receives a letter from Barclays, or any other bank for that matter, headed; 'without prejudice save as to costs', have a read through the previous page of my thread. You will see that this tactic is unenforceable and will not stand up in court. They are trying to intimidate you and the judge will take this into account when it comes to discussing the award of costs. That said, no claim will get to court!!! The banks can't afford for ANY claim to get there, they are petrified that a judge will find against them and so open the floodgates to new claimants.

DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY THE BANKS, DO NOT FALTER, TAKE EVERYTHING THEY THROW AT YOU.....YOU WILL WIN IN THE END!!!!

IT'S YOUR MONEY - GET IT BACK!!!

BOON - OUT!

Its been emotional

Well done Boonyed.. Stick it to the man!! :)

Have you (or anybody who has received their charges back) considered now doing another Subject Access Request and asking for all the notes relating to your complaint re charges and the investigation of the complaint?

It might make interesting reading to see the internal procedures and comments when they receive another demand for charges to be refunded?

15/08 - Premilinary letter sent to Barclays - £2565

29/08 - No response to Preliminary letter. Sent Letter Before Action

• 2 months later...

hi boonyed. Congrats on winning :)

recieved our court date for the 31st january and looking forward to it. Was hoping that Barclays would pay up before the end of the year as this has dragged on for nearly 6 months now :(

Was interested to find out what you wrote in your letter to KJ? I am tempted to phone him to try and get him to settle sooner if that isnt the way to go then i wanted to email him.

Any tips on what to put?

Regards and congrats again.

Paul.

Barclays - Owed £3,471.50. Prelim sent 9/06/06 - BS letter recieved & ignored. LBA sent 23/06/06 - claim made 18/07/06 - Acknowledged 03-08-06

RBS - Owed £341. Prelim sent 13/07/06 - LBA sent 03-08-06

Abbey - still waiting for 3 years worth of statements.

Mark One - Owed 1197.50p. Prelim Sent 19-07-06 - LBA Sent 03-08-06

Hi Boonyed and WELL DONE !

Your comments certainly provide motivation to carry on through 'the obstacles' erected to delay and dissuade by the Banks.

I am at 'Defence' stage with a mcol (Defence lodged after request for judgement at day 29 (after expiry of 28 day period). I am getting pretty sick of the way that the Court system is being manipulated by the banks, and the lack of regulation of their activities - great motivation to carry on.

Well done again - enjoy the cash !!

Jonnie R.:D

Congratulations on your result. Leaves hope for us all.

I have just sumitted a letter to the wonderful Barclays for Some £2405 without interest applied.

I'm sure due to your success you are being bombarded with questions but I wondered if I could pose another?

Did Barclays leave your Bank account open as I understand some banks are closing customers accounts after paying up?

interesting stuff....im gonna send off for my statements asap and see how much these buggers owe me!

Did Barclays leave your Bank account open as I understand some banks are closing customers accounts after paying up?

i'd like to know this aswell lol.....

Good Drills, Cant Wait to send my stuff, Bring em on!!!!

MANY THANKS,

BLUE.

Barclays:

Data Protection letter sent 22/11/06

Prelim approach letter sent £1720.00 22/12/06

Bank offers me £1000.00 to settle 20/01/07

LBA sent 23/01/07

New charges added

MCOL filed £1780 + £310.26 + £120.00 = £2210.26 09/02/07

Court Date Walsall County Court: 17/07/2007

Barclays Case Settled and *WON* before court

Halifax:

Data Protection letter sent 28/11/06

Prelim approach letter sent £1325.00 08/02/07

Halifax Case Settled and *WON* before Court

Well done Boonyed I think the determination won through and I can't see issuing a defence is anything more than delaying tactics.

I am new to this site but i wondered if anyone had any experience in claiming back charges from Barclays masquerading as "commission" when applied to a small business (sole trader) account.

my wife was banking under her own name "trading as" and has been charged more than £2,500 in the past 5 years. We are determined to get it back.

Any advice or experience would be welcome

• Haha 1

Congrats on your win!!! ;):) I am currently up to the point of submitting my claim to the small claims court (but getting a little nervous). I am trying to claim back 3750.00 plus interest. Barclays have offered me 1900.00 yesterday 12/11/06.

I’m experiencing problems with Moneyclain.gov.uk website. I don't suppose you could help out by posting your wording as i just cant keep it to the 1080 characters.

Really appreciate it thanks mancity5:rolleyes:

Well, nothing came in the post this morning, so I have just filed a County Court claim against Barclays Bank for £499.07.

The process was quite simple though I did have to monkey around with the model text from the library section to get it to fit into the text box provided. The problem was that when I was filling in the claim form it prompted me to add a section of text if I wanted to claim the interest incurred, so I cut and pasted that into the box and went over the 1080 characters, or 24 lines, allowed.

When I trimmed it down, I was still taking up more lines than I should have so I had to go through it all and see where I could trim a little more. Not too onorous a task though, I'm sure the bunce will make up for the hassle.

Wish me luck, and if there are any out there who have got this far with Barclays please get in touch, I might need a little reassurance.

BOON

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the good wishes, it's been a few months since I looked in on the site and was surprised at the number of replies to my thread. I popped back in because Barclays have deducted another 3 'illegal' charges from my account and I'm preparing to give it 'em large again.

A friend of mine also got paid out last week, the day before his court date, so hold your nerve and don't give in....THEY WILL PAY UP!!

Mancity5 asked about the wording for Moneyclaim, this is what I sent;

I have a contract with the defendant bank

dating from 19## which is conducted on

their standard terms and conditions. I am

claiming the return of money taken by the

defendant in the way of charges over the

last 6 years. The bank's charges are a

disproportionate penalty and therefore

unenforceable as they are contrary to

common law. Further, as a disproportionate

penalty they are invalid under the Unfair

Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s4 and under

the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts

Regulations 1999. Para 8 and sch.2(1)(e)In

the event that the charges are not a

penalty then they are unreasonable within

the meaning of the Supply of Goods and

Services Act 1982 s15. I have repeatedly

asked the bank to justify their charges but

they have declined to do so. I also claim

interest under section 69 of the County

Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year

from 25th April 2003dates to be supplied to

24th April 2006 of £##.## and also interest

at the same rate up to the date of judgment.

I still have my bank account with Barclays and have not encountered any other problems, apart from the fact that they've robbed another 90 quid off me!!

Fytinbak - Have a look in the library section, I'm sure your wife will be able to claim her money too, but you'll need to look there for the relevant info.

Good luck all, not that you'll need it....remember THEY WILL PAY UP!!

BOON

• Haha 1

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks