• Tweets

• Lowell has recently bought over one of my old debts and in chasing me for payment have sent details of the debt to my ex-wife via email. Let me first start by saying i do owe the debt and I don't dispute it; whether it is unenforceable I don't know and this post/thread isn't to find that out. Lowell bought this debt earlier in the year for an account I ran between 2021 and this year before falling behind with payments and the debt eventually being sold off despite my attempts to deal with the original creditor. Lowell have sent me ONE letter in respect of the debt before reaching out via email to my ex-wife, giving information about the original creditor and the amount owed. I'm very concerned that Lowell have adopted this approach as I thought contacting a friend or relative about a debt was outlawed by FCA, but to find they have done this has left me shocked and a little embarrassed. I'm also concerned that they have potentially breached GDPR by sharing details with a third party without my consent. While there's little personal data given aside from the creditor and amount, I am mentioned by first initial and surname in the email sent to my ex-wife. I've never used this email account, have never had access to it and it has no connection to the original creditor so I have no idea why Lowell would use it to try to reach me. I've made a complaint to Lowell both about the communication being sent to a third party and potential GDPR breach, but should I be doing anything else?
    • thread title updated. so a sold debt. who are the solicitors? TM legal? why didn't ovo do this themselves as they do but chose to sell the debt on for 10p=£1? funny debt you state you reived a letter of claim, why did you not reply too it.? also is there is no indication of the date this bill comes from on the claimform? how do you know its from 2022? what other previous paperwork have you received? please scan page 1 of the claimform and bothsides of ALL previous letters upto one mass pdf read upload carefully. .................. pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’. Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time. You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID. You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.  then log in to the bulk court Website https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/466952-lowelloverdales-claimform-old-cap1-debt/?do=findComment&comment=5260464 .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website get a CPR  31:14  request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant] ... https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ type your name ONLY Do Not sign anything .do not ever use or give an email . you DO NOT await the return of ANY paperwork  you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count] ..............  
    • Thank you again. I'm hoping it will come out in the wash and will endeavour to check my online account. I'm a bit unsettled by not hearing from Booking.com but the host is sounding helpful at the moment. HB
    • I've just remembered that a friend of mine had bookings cancelled on Booking.com about a month ago - and the good news is that all worked out in the wash. I'm at work now but will scribble properly in a couple of hours with the full tale.
    • Thank you Dave. I've had nothing from Booking.com, just a message via the site from the host. I know I need to check my bank account, just trying to resolve some technical issues. HB  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lowells Customers- Put them on notice!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5561 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If this is the case would not that stop a DCA's hounding people with debts that do not exist.

"32.2.4. Assignment of debts

Assignment is a process whereby debts are sold on to another organisation, and is common practice within the industry.

For an assignment of a debt to be legally effective, it is necessary to assign both the rights and the responsibilities of the creditor under the agreement.

Partial assignment which, in effect, assigns the right to enforce but not the associated responsibilities will be invalid and will preclude the assignee from enforcing the debt.

There are two types of deed of assignment - equitable and absolute. The first assigns the right to pursue the debt to the assignee but not the obligation of the OC. The second assigns both the rights and obligations of the assignor to the assignee. However, in order for this to be legally binding you as the debtor would have to give your consent to such an assignment.

If the notice includes an amount demanded that is incorrect it renders the notice legally invalid (e.g. unlawful charges or DCA admin/collection charges).

Even if the amount doesn't include charges but is misstated it is still invalid.

If the date is incorrect it is legally invalid (i.e. does not tie in with the deed of assignment - the execution of assignment should be the same as the date shown on the notice).

The case that supports this is W.F.Harrison & Co Ltd v Burke [1956] 1 WLR 419"

Unashamedly stolen from a post by Rory32 many moons ago. I hope he will forgive me for my idleness by not doing the research myself. ;)

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have a guests viewing!

H-E-L-L-O Guests :D

H-E-L-L-O, how are you?? :D

Like many others, I can't always sign in when I'm reading the threads especially if I'm at work. I'm sorry if this causes you a degree of paranoia but as we've already seen on UK26's war thread, you have to sign in to see some of the docs that are posted and to do that you have to be registered. Therefore it stands to reason you have nothing to fear from 'guests', (or 'ghosts' for that matter) and I believe CAG does have the ability to check out who is actually using the site.

I sometimes wonder if the 'Guests warning' that appears in threads is a veiled threat in itself, because it helps keep people away and serves the purpose of the DCA's. It's potentially damaging stuff scaremongering, like the 'they know who you are from your cookies' thing that went around a few months ago. Posters, new and old, have nothing to fear by using the CAG site - provided you are sensible about how much information you volunteer you can remain totally anonymous.

I'm sure SP or one of the site's NCO'S will correct me if I'm wrong. :-|

....and check out my IP by all means. I don't want to be accused of being the ham sandwich at the Bar Mitzvah.

Just something I wanted to get off my chest. ;)

I certainly resent the comment about scaremongering! it's a pity (and petty) when we cant say hello to 'guests' without causing 'offence'.

Regards,

Beachy

And I am replying to you 'Hello' !!!. ;)

There's nothing petty about putting off people from posting, but it would be a pity if you didn't grasp the point that is being made.

And what part of me saying hello to 'guests' offend you?

If my post offended you then the post that followed mine must have really upset you! (Silverfox - I saw the funny side of your post, no offence).

Subject as far as Iam concerned is closed, if a lighthearted 'hello' causes offence then I wonder just who's paranoid?

There aren't so many trolls around nowadays, as I'm sure the old troll baiters amongst us have noticed. Latest tactic seems to be trying to put people off posting, and one way to do that is create the impression they know who you are by people visiting DCA's sites after CAG via cookies (that's a complete myth), clicking certain links, or the "we are watching you" as was seen on UK26 thread.

I wondered how long it would take, and you just happened to be the first to introduce the 'Guest' thing on this particular thread, when we'd already established that guests are no big deal. Perhaps you missed all that.

Let me just quickly make clear I am not suggesting you are Troll, or even one of the bad guys....no offence was intended but I'm just a bit surprised, or perhaps disappointed that you don't seem to grasp the point that's being made.

Back to business, I think, with or without paranoid guests. ;)

:D:D Don't worry DB, we knows ya :p

Sarah

You mean.....my covers blown???

I only came here to restore confidence in the CAGging system. After saving the banks and then the world, it was the least I could do. :p

Sorry DB, Gordon got there before you! And look at the mess he's made in the process...:D Are you volunteering to give him lessons?

I'd give him something......but I'm not sure we could get him on the plane to Switzerland to carry it out.

DISCLAIMER

My apologies if anyone found that offensive. It was intended as a joke from someone who has not been re-educated in these rather unusual (in my opinion) PC days. ;) I'm new in town......

• Haha 1

I'm glad you've raised this DB.

I regularly visit DCA's web sites. I'm looking for information about them. Do I want to be logged in here when I do that? Do I heck!

Where perhaps I might have been better served learning how to write to DCAs without quaking, I've been finding information which I bring back here. And when I'm not here it's generally my health that's to blame, or the fact that I'm trying to write a book, when I have chance! Sometimes I'm half-asleep, sometimes I'm just dealing with my own problems. Reading someone's thread when I'm logged in doesn't necessarily mean that I'm preparing to reply, or even that I want to be noticed, so sometimes I don't log in for that reason. I'm not comfortable suggesting letters for people to write, because I have no confidence doing them myself. Other people are much much better at doing that than me. But I'm reading the threads because, like most people, I gain courage and heart to stand up to these companies, and if I think I can help I will. When UK26 returned from court this week, I was literally chilled to my bones in a friend's house in Whitby, trying to keep a fire going in their front room. My IP address would probably have been Sheffield. The next day I was in Whitby Library.

Does this make me a spy? No it doesn't, because I'm not. But the thought (and the paranoia) does freak me out considerably.

UK's court case thread is private for a reason specified on the day it was made private. I'm very sorry the particular individuals to blame were from Leeds, but not everyone visiting, or even from the North of England, or from the South, East or West and adjoining isles that make up the whole of the United Kingdom, are here to spy.

Sometimes I read the forum in the early hours, when I should be asleep but either I can't or I'm having a near panic attack. Or I'm very doped up on medication. I keep that to myself, because I'm no use to anyone then, but the very existence of CAG gets me through the night.

I don't like the 'waving' either. I think it puts people off joining. Sometimes there's a need for privacy, and I think the Site Team have got that covered. But for genuine guests it's a bit like a smack in the face.

Leave them alone. As people here have said many times, the trolls tend to show themselves up sooner or later. They're pretty rare, and they tend to be pretty thick too!:p

Wow. Sosumi, that's a mighty post!!

I think, no, I can honestly say that CAG is one of the rally points for everyone who wants to see some honesty and openess in the economic workings of the UK and it's partners today.

Let's not put people off joining in by creating an unnecessary fear. ;)

Edited by dannyboy660
Removal of irrelevant link & clarification

I had a debt with black horse and suddenly got a letter from DLC debt collectors saying they now owned the debt. Can someone tell me if black horse should have informed me that they were selling the debt.

32.2.4. Assignment of debts

Assignment is a process whereby debts are sold on to another organisation, and is common practice within the industry.

For an assignment of a debt to be legally effective, it is necessary to assign both the rights and the responsibilities of the creditor under the agreement.

Partial assignment which, in effect, assigns the right to enforce but not the associated responsibilities will be invalid and will preclude the assignee from enforcing the debt.

There are two types of deed of assignment - equitable and absolute. The first assigns the right to pursue the debt to the assignee but not the obligation of the OC. The second assigns both the rights and obligations of the assignor to the assignee. However, in order for this to be legally binding you as the debtor would have to give your consent to such an assignment.

If the notice includes an amount demanded that is incorrect it renders the notice legally invalid (e.g. unlawful charges or DCA admin/collection charges).

Even if the amount doesn't include charges but is misstated it is still invalid.

If the date is incorrect it is legally invalid (i.e. does not tie in with the deed of assignment - the execution of assignment should be the same as the date shown on the notice).

The case that supports this is W.F.Harrison & Co Ltd v Burke [1956] 1 WLR 419

Edited by dannyboy660
removal of irrelevant link