£3200 backdated water bill... help!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5557 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:( Hi, really hoping someone can help!!

I moved into a rented property (above address) in aug 2007. All other rented properties I have lived in have had water rates included in in the rent so when I never received any correspondance whatsoever form Thames Water I assumed that this was also the case in my new property (an assumption I probably shouldn't have made). It wasn't until November 2008 that I first received a backdated bill to the occupier. The bill was for £74.42 (which seemed low) and stated aug 2007 to oct 2008. I paid this bill after re-reading my tenancy agreement and realising that water was infact not included. I have now received a new bill, for the same period for £3200! I immediately investigated my entire property to see if there was I leak. I can't find anything but did notice that water looks like it runs slowly down the back of the tiolets (3 toilets). Could this be the reason for high bill? If I had ever received an earlier bill in 2007/2008 then I would've instantly realised that there was an issue with the water supply in my house. As there was no bill there wasn't really any way I would've noticed unless I was looking really hard. What are my rights in this situation? Shuld the landlord have tested for leaks before we moved in the property, or should the water company have billed me earlier so that the problem could've been identified? As the tennant, will I be expected to pay this full amount? Really not sure where I stand.

First things first, you simply need to speak to the water company and ask them to double check the reading and calculation. Everything else is conjecture. Such a bill would indicate at least 10 years of non payment, or a serious leak - which you would have noticed. Therefore I suspect it is a simple billing issue.

contact the water company in the first instance.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Hi,

I don't know if my thread is of any help to you? It's a similiar situation and I've had some great advice.

subscribed.gif£2172.00 water bill! Help?

Capquest - No cca yet - OC sent what they think is a CCA - account on hold - no contact since

Lewis - Lost their tongue after cca request:roll: -

Now in default of my CCA request - still no contact since:D

Fredrickson - No cca yet - Now in default of my request - now stopped contact with me:rolleyes: **UPDATE** April - Sent back £1 p/o and gave up!!!!!!!!!!

1ST Credit - CCA request sent - now stopped contact with me