Question about a debt in my name but not actually made by me

robii
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6501 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently received contact from Littlewoods about an outstanding balance of £402.17 on my account.

I don't actually have a Littlewoods catalogue account at my current address so I presume debts have been run up on an account at my old address (which I moved away from just under 3 years ago). I didn't actually realise I still had an account at my previous address what with me having not used Littlewoods for years and the catalogues only coming every 6 months. I obviously forgot to close it before I moved house.

What can I do about this?

Is there a standard, or suggested, letter I could write to Littlewoods explaining the situation?

What is my legal position? How can I prove that the debt has not been built by me?

How can I get the mark on my credit reference file removed (which they have told me exists)?

And am I right in thinking that until they have a county court judgement they can't get a warrant and a bailiff can't legally remove any goods?

Thanks

Robert (otherwise debt free)

Surely there must be someway of proving you are a victim of identify theft? After all, it's hardly a rare occurence these days is it?

Do you have any sort of proof to show Littlewoods when you moved out of your old address?

Do you have any sort of proof to show Littlewoods when you moved out of your old address?

Well, I have all my mortgage stuff for the new house. Doesn't prove when I left the old address, technically, but shows when I started paying the mortgage on the new one

You must have a start/stop dates for paying your Community Charge, Electricity and/or Gas final and first readings etc. Date of handing over keys of your old accommodation.

No, as I was living with my parents