• Tweets

• Honestly you are all amazing on this site, thank you so much for your help and time. ill keep an eye out and only return when i receive a claim letter for sure also, i updated my address with amex and tsb before i even missed payments. the initial address was my family home but i dont reside there. to avoid a bombardment of letters there i have now updated my address, will they send all threats etc to the new address? Or old address?   do you reccomend i send both tsb and amex my update in address via a letter?
    • Your point 4 deals with that and puts them to strict proof .....but realistically they are not in a position to state that within their particulars they were not the creditor at the time of default but naturally assume the OC would have...so always worth challenging and if you get a DJ who knows his onions on the day may ask for further evidence from the OC internal accounts system. 
    • I see, shame, I think if a claim is 'someone was served' then proof of that should be mandatory. Appreciate your input into the WS whenever you get chance, thanks in advance
    • Paper trail off the original creditor often confirms the default and issue of a notice...not having or being able to disclose the actual copy or being able to produce a copy less so. Creditors are not compelled to keep copies of the actual default notice so you will in most cases get a reconstituted version but must contain accurate figures/dates/format.     .    
    • Including Default Notice Andy? Ok, I think this is the best I can do.. it all makes sense with references to their WS. They have included exhibits that dates don't match the WS about them, small but still.. if you're going to reference letters giving dates, then the exhibits should be correct, no? I know I redacted them too much, but one of the dates differs to the WS by a few months. IN THE ******** County Court Claim No. [***] BETWEEN: LC Asset 2 S.A.R.L CLAIMANT AND [***] DEFENDANT ************ _________________________ ________ WITNESS STATEMENT OF [***] _________________________ ________ I, [***], being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim. 1. I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much-reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimant’s witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 2. The Claim relates to an alleged Credit Card agreement between the Defendant and Bank of Scotland plc. Save insofar of any admittance it is accepted that the Defendant has had contractual agreements with Bank of Scotland plc in the past, the Defendant is unaware as to what alleged debt the Claimant refers. 3. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. The Claimant is put to strict proof to verify and confirm that the exhibit *** is a true copy of the agreement and are the true Terms and Conditions as issued at the time of inception of the online application and execution of the agreement. 4. Point 3 is noted. The Claimant pleads that a default notice has been served upon the defendant as evidenced by Exhibit [***]. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 5. Point 6 is noted and disputed. The Defendant cannot recall ever having received the notice of assignment as evidenced in the exhibit marked ***. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 6. Point 11 is noted and disputed. See 3. 7. Point 12 is noted, the Defendant doesn’t recall receiving contact where documentation is provided as per the Claimants obligations under CCA. In addition, the Claimant pleads letters were sent on dates given, yet those are not the letters evidenced in their exhibits *** 8. Point 13 is noted and denied. Claimant is put to strict proof to prove allegations. 9. The Claimant did not provide a true copy of the CCA in response to the Defendants request of 24/12/2022. The Claimant further claims that the documents are sufficient to pursue a Judgement and are therefore copies of original documents in their possession. Conclusion 10. Without the Claimant providing a valid true copy of the executed Credit agreement that complies with the CCA, the Claimant has no grounds on which to enforce this alleged debt. 11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. On receipt of this claim I could not recall the precise details of the agreement or any debt and sought clarity from the claimant by way of a Section 78 request. The Claimant failed to comply. I can only assume as this was due to the Claimant not having any enforceable documentation and issuing a claim in hope of an undefended default judgment.   Statement of Truth I, ********, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in it’s truth. Signed: _________________________ _______ Dated: _____________________
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

SD from Scott Raees & Co/Vertex Data Science/HSBC

mr nice
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5509 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A relative of mine who is 62 years old recieved Statutory Demand on 24th November 2008 from Scott Raees & Co on the behalf of Vertex Data Science who are acting on behalf of HSBC. The amount in question is £4800. The debt goes back to around 1999 and since then he has been regularly been paying £10.00/£20.00 a month without fail.

The date on the Statutory Demand was 5th November 2008 but it was hand delivered on the 24th November 2008. Unfortunately my relative was away at the time and came back in the second week of December 2008. He thought he had missed the 18 days period of setting the demand aside.

On the 15th December a Bankruptcy petition order was made for a hearing on 26th Ferbruary 2009. In the Bankruptcy petition it is stated that Statutory Demand was actually served on the 19th November 2008.

My reletive recieved another letter from the Solicitors this week in which they have demanded the £4800 in full with £3000 legal costs. A total of £7800 to paid within 7 days.

My relative is very worried which is understandable. What about obtaining his CCA agreement. Its obvious too late to do anything regarding setting the statutory demand aside.

What should be his course of action from this position.

The date on the Statutory Demand was 5th November 2008 but it was hand delivered on the 24th November 2008. Unfortunately my relative was away at the time and came back in the second week of December 2008. He thought he had missed the 18 days period of setting the demand aside.
He/she can still apply for the set aside but will have to pay for this unless he/she is in receipt of state benifits. They need to do this fairly quickly though otherwise they will be contesting the bankruptcy petition.

What are their grounds for disputing the debt?

What type of account is it and are they a home owner?

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

He is on Pension credits. How much does he have to pay to set the statutory demand aside. He is basically not disputing the debt as he has been paying £10.00 or £20.00 per month. Its a credit card account and he is not a home owner as the house is on his wife.

On what grounds can he dispute the debt in the Statutory demand. Does he needs to go a solicitor for the Statutory demand.

Is it also worth asking them for a copy of his CCA.

I fear you are too late to have the Statutory Demand set aside. You have 18 days to this and that expired more than a month ago.

Why didn't your relative do something at the time? It is going to be difficult to retrieve the situation now.

It would appear that the creditor is going for bankruptcy. Some questions -

- is the £4800 the original amount of the debt or just the latest amount after the regular payments have been made?

- does you relative own property? Does he have equity in that property?

- does he have any other debts?

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

The amount of £4800 is the one which has been demanded without the costs. It might include the monthly payments of £10.00 nut I am not sure.He does not own any property and yes he has other credit card debts for which he is on monthly payment plans varying from £10.00 to £20.00 and has been going on since 1999 or so.

I also fear its too late for statutory demand. I have told him to give it a try and submit one on Monday by the latest. What else shall he do in the meanwhile. Any use of getting the CCA from them or not. He is getting benefits and what about the advice of a solicitor.

• 1 month later...

A relative of mine who is 62 years old recieved Statutory Demand on 24th November 2008 from Scott Raees & Co on the behalf of Vertex Data Science who are acting on behalf of HSBC. The amount in question is £4800. The debt goes back to around 1999 and since then he has been regularly been paying £10.00/£20.00 a month without fail.

On the 15th December a Bankruptcy petition order was made for a hearing on 26th Ferbruary 2009. In the Bankruptcy petition it is stated that Statutory Demand was actually served on the 19th November 2008.

My reletive recieved another letter from the Solicitorsin which they have demanded the £4800 in full with £3000 legal costs.A total of £7800 to paid within 7 days.

Last month he want to see a solicitor who demanded £1500 for him fighting his Bankruptcy case. Unfortunately he did not go to Citizen's advice Bareau.

In the last few weeks he has also been writing to Scott Raees the solicitors acting behalf of Vertical Data science. He initially offered them £50.00 a month which was refused but they did ask for his income and expenditure. Last week before the petition he again sent another offer of £75.00 per month and that was refused also.

Today at the petition Scott Raees alleged that both the Statutory Demand and the Bankcruptcy petition were both hand delivered to the person named. This is untrue and both times it was just posted through the letter box.

The judge said as you are not denying the debt it would have not mattered you did receive the statutory demand in time or not. As you cannot afford to pay so a Bankruptcy order is issued. The whole thing lasted just 5 minutes. Even though he pleaded that he was willing to pay £100.00 a month and even took his income and expenditure deatails with him.

It was unbelievable. The person is married and is on pension credits. The property is on his wife and has been since 2000. It has a small mortgage of about £8,000 or so.

He does have other credit card debts since 1998/1999 and has bee paying around £10.00/£20.00 every month so all of them without fail.

The bankruptcy order has got him really worried and he just cannot stand stigma of being bankrupt. He really wants the Bankcruptcy order to be annulled.

Please can anyone help urgently. I have just read that they are 3 ways of how a bankcruptcy order can be annulled:

• the bankruptcy order should not have been made, for example because the proper steps involved in obtaining the order were not followed; or
  • all your bankruptcy debts and the fees and expenses of the bankruptcy proceedings have been either paid in full or guaranteed to the satisfaction of the court; or
  • you have reached an agreement called an “individual voluntary arrangement” with your creditors to repay all or part of your debts.

He will probably want to go through the first step. Please can anyone help on this and that grounds are they for an appeal.

Hi Mr Nicee sorry to hear of your relatives problems.

I too have recently tried to have a BRO annulled on the first ground that you stated i.e the SD or petition was not sered corectly. The judge wasn't really interested despite being shown irrefutable facts that they were never served correctly. All he was interested in was a) Did you owe the debt and b) could you pay it. As the answers where yes and no he dismissed the appeal for annulment and issued the BRO. Sounds very similar to your relatives predicament.

In the current economic climate there is very little stigma to BR an given your relatives age rather than paying off the debts he can use the money elsewhere and I am sure putting it to better more enjoyable use. With regards ot the property as it has been in his wife's name since 2000 there is nothing the OR can do to take the equity in it.

Sorry can't be of more constructive use but can only give you the benefit of my experience.

Best of Luck

You could get it annulled if you can prove that there has been an abuse of process (which it sounds like there has been).....bear in mind that it may be that the the sum is made up of excessive charges, and the agreement may not contain the prescribed terms....you'll have to move pretty quickly though. Has there been an interview with the official receiver as yet ?

Your friend will need to co to the local county court and pick up a bankruptcy annullment form which you will need to fill in and fill out an affadavit too. I think this still costs £35 to make an application to annul

They really need to do this before they see the official receiver, if they have had an interview did they dispute the debt with the OR ? If not when they go and see the OR, they must in the forms put a large 'D' in a circle when it comes to listing the debts (this means you are disputing the debts claimed against you - this could be because of no agreement, excessive charges, valid default notices etc....when they go and see the Official Receiver take a copy of the form too, the Official receiver will continue with the interview but may be limited in how far they go as they will want to attend the hearing too. Their costs will have also to be paid, BUT if you win the opposing side will have to pay the OR's costs...

I would also IMMEDIATELY send a SAR to the original creditor to reveal their paperwork which may give your friend some ammunition.

This costs £10 (but it could save them) they have to comply with this in 40 days. This may be enough time before a BR annullment hearing though...

address it to the Data Controller at each company:-

Data Protection Act 1998

Subject Access Request

Dear Sir/Madam

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx (or multiple numbers if more than one account)

Please supply me with all data that you hold on me. This includes in particular, but is not limited to, the following:-

1. The original signed, executed credit agreement and any terms and conditions that applied to the account at the time of default and at the time the account was opened.

2. Transcriptions of all telephone conversations recorded and any notes made in relation to telephone conversations by your company, or by any previous creditor

3. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account formerly held with ORIGINAL CREDITOR.

4. True copies of any notice of assignment and/or default notice or enforcement notice that you or the original creditor sent me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

5. Documents relating to any insurance added to the account, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date it was added and deleted (if applicable).

6. Details of any collection charges added to the account; specifically, the date it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was calculated, and what the charge covers.

7. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

8. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998

9. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

10. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the credit agreement.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply.

If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.

Yours faithfully,

There is one piece of case law that might help....

Judge Boggis QC - RE AWAN - [2000] BPIR 241

'In my judgment, bankruptcy is one of the most serious forms of execution that can be brought against a debtor. In any bankruptcy proceedings it is, in my view, absolutely clear that the provisions as to service must be followed exactly. The rules provide in terms that the petition must be supported by an affidavit of service showing how the petition was served, and express reference is made to substituted service and the way in which that then is to be proved, which involves the affidavit of service having with it a sealed copy of the order.' - JUDGE BOGGIS QC - SITTING AS A JUDGE OF THE HIGH COURT

Then r 6.15 says:

(1) Service of the petition should be proved by affidavit.

(2) The affidavit shall have exhibited to it -

(a) a sealed copy of the petition, and

(b) if substituted service has been ordered, a sealed copy of the order;

and it should be filed in court immediately after service.

What you also need is a 'friendly' judge too...did you defend the petition on any other aspect apart from the non receiving of the demand ? They need to move quickly though...

Were there any earlier adjournments at all ?

My own thread is here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dca-legal-successes/104409-bankruptcy-order-twice.html

When they get to the court....ask them for all copies of any other paperwork relating to the case, any affadavits submitted by the process server or the opposing solicitors....they may have to pay a small charge for copying fees....

Thanks for your great advice. We have not seen the official reciever yet as this only happened yesterday at about 4.00 pm. The solicitor did provide 2 written affadavits that the statutory demand and Bankcruptcy petition were given by hand but thats rubbish. They were just posted through the letter box.

The situation was the same as toddle2U has explained. The judge said it does not matter how when the Statutory demand was sent. Are you admitting to the debt yes or no. Secondly as you can't afford to make the payment I have no choice to but issue the Bankruptcy order. It did not even last 5 minutes.

We did not fight the petition on any other grounds except for just the statutory demand and BP were not served properly. This was the first hearing and no adjournments. I will go the local court today and the get form that's required for the anullment and fill it over the weekend and it in first thing Monday morning.

• 1 month later...