virgin mobile adding an extra 18months to my account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5589 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

My first post, I appreciate the help.

I had an 18 month account with virgin mobile. I never missed a payment throughout the life of the contract and was more than happy with the service provided however. towards the end of my contract I called virgin to say I would not be staying with virgin as I was moving house and will not be able to afford the £30, they offered me a better deal etc but I declined.

My contract ended without debt and I moved house and got a pre pay sim with Orange.

Virgin contacted me 4 months later saying I owe them £600 for breach of contract as I had signed up for another 18 month contract. They stated that I was even sent a new phone. I asked where the phone was delivered to and who had authorised an extension. I was told that the postage for the phone was from an existing card they had of mine and the phone was delivered to my old address. (bearing in mind I had left the old house in december 2007 and the new contract was taken out at the old address in January 2008)

I think either the new tennant or someone who had access to my mail (we didn't arrange a redirection, we had an acquaintance collect it) had ordered the new phone and new number in my name, but linked to the original contract. I now have a default against me and Virgin are saying I am responsible because it is in my name. they also queried as to why the direct debit was still coming out of my account, and it was until I realised that the contract should have stopped, I called and virgin said it was an error and they will cancel it, however they received a call(not me) reinstating the DD a month later.

help.....

You should write asking them to provide documentary evidence that it was you who signed for the new contract.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You should write asking them to provide documentary evidence that it was you who signed for the new contract.

I have but they haven't got any, they have said it was done over the phone. They are harassing me now though and I really don't know which way to turn

I have but they haven't got any, they have said it was done over the phone. They are harassing me now though and I really don't know which way to turn

Then they should be able to provide a tape/transcript of the call.

They are going to have to PROVE that it was actually you who took out the contract.

Your letter to them should pretty much say, that you deny renewing the contract. To the contrary you actually advised that you did NOT want to renew.

give me a few minutes, there is a letter template somewhere.. I will go and find a link for you.

Okey dokey, here you go.

Do NOT sign the letter.. just print your name. At the very least send it recorded delivery (special delivery is better). Keep the postal receipt the post office will give you, clip it a copy of your letter.

Do not give in to temptation to phone these people. You now want everything in writing.

Dear Sirs,

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by me.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to Virgin Mobile

I are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

Yours faithfully

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi, I'm really sorry to hijack, but I wonder if people could have a peek at my thread about a mobile contract in the Legal Section?? I really need to get this sorted for my learning disabled sister!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/179542-phone-house-possible-fraudulent.html

Cheers.

UF

I am rarely around these parts any more. I only stop by when something has come to my attention that has sufficiently annoyed me so as to persuade me to awake from my nap and put in my two pence.

I am a final year law student; I am NOT an expert in law. All of my posts are just my opinion. I cannot be held responsible for any outcome whatsoever resulting from any person following the opinions or information contained within my posts. Always seek professional legal advice from a qualified lawyer.

I have sent the following.

I draughted it myself so it doesn't look like a template that has been change.

23/01/09

To whom it concern,

REF: Mobile Number xxxxx xxxxxx

I have been chasing up a fraudulently obtained contract in my name for a while now. I have appealed to Virgin Mobile to investigate only to be told that the account was not fraudulently obtained. I would like to make it quite clear that I have NOT entered into a new contract after or during the time of my initial contract. I moved house in the early part of Dec 2007 from xxxxxxxxxxxxx, xxx xxx to xxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx xxx. I now know that a new contract was ordered after this time and all kit was delivered to the old address where I no longer lived, I therefore do not know the location of the phone or who ordered the phone and extended my contract. I stopped using my original contract around November time when the original contract expired. I have noticed however there were calls made after this time. Surely the most intelligent thing to do would be to phone the numbers called from this contract after November and ask them who the phone belongs to. I understand however that this may not be possible due to privacy laws though.

I feel I have been treated badly by Virgin mobile. You have treated me like I am being dishonest by saying this account was not fraudulently obtained, however if I did not order the new phone or contract then how on earth could it not have been fraudulently obtained.

I am therefore making a formal request for the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) linked to my account, inclusive of all signed contracts and transcripts of calls.

As I did not apply for a new account I also request that any default notices or adverse comments your company has recorded on my credit reference file should be immediately removed.

Failure to respond favourably to this letter within seven (7) days of receipt will result in immediate litigation being commenced against your company without further notice.

For your information I have sent a duplicate of this letter to my solicitor.

Regards,

'

Ummm, I dont think your letter will do the trick actually.

1. A Subject Access Request - they are legally obliged to provide you with information within 40 days. You will not be able to stipulate 7 days.

2:. There is a more structured format for a Subject Access Request. It isnt specific, but you have kind of gone into ramble mode above and you might not get the information you required. You need to identify what it is you want and ask for it specifically

3: A Subject Access Request must be accompanied by a legally required fee of £10.00.

Furthermore.

I dont think it is in your interest to volunteer information. You say the new contract was apparently set up using your old address. So why would you want to let them know at this stage of requesting information.. exactly when you moved ?.

If they were to come back and say.. oh this was done on such n such a date and the phone was sent on another such n such a date.. on top of which, I think it is a policy for mobile phones to be delivered by courier with a guaranteed signature. Who signed for it, you want that information. which can of course be obtained/requested via a SAR request.

If this was arranged over the phone then you want a phone record of the conversation. The person arranging the contract would have had to have given other contact numbers I would have thought or an email address.

You say Virgin advise the DD was reinstated, over the phone. On what date ?. A DD needs to be signed, I dont think it can just be done over the phone. Initial instructions can be given, but then the form comes in the post which needs to be returned. If the DD doesnt contain YOUR signature then someone is well in trouble, not least of all the bank.

Think carefully about your requirements, the questions you want to ask and how you want to go about getting the information your require. :)

BCOBS

er - not quite. There is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT for a fee. Some firms will provide the information at no cost whatsoever. The £10 comes from the fact this is the maximum amount a firm can charge for supplying the data.

Next, DDs have not needed to be signed since 2004 when the rules were changed. You can effectively agree and by providing your details alone are said to have willingly 'signed' (as why would you provide these details otherwise) . Also many firms state that if you DO sign a form, the details will be 'sent electronically', this means your signature isn/-*t sent to the bank either.

For a DD that is cancelled, it can be reinstated on request up to 31 days without any requirement for it to be set up from scratch, it can be done either by the merchand OR customer. Unless the customer specifically instructs his bank to cancel the mandate outright.

Edited by buzby

Thanks for correcting me on those points buzby. I have updated my information to ensure correct advice given in future. :)

BCOBS