• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Letter re: court hearing today

Giddy Kipper
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5600 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please someone help, I feel sick with worry! We missed 3 payments on the mortgage last year and then arranged last October to make an additional £150 per month for a year to clear the arrears. We made this for 2 months and then in December (22nd) we missed the payment. I was planning to call this Friday to make the payment (albeit late) but I've received a letter from a solicitors this morning telling me that I will receive from the court a copy of the claim form and notification of the hearing date.

Firstly, if I make the payment as it was due, will it stop this or will I have to pay the whole of the arrears to stop this happening? Secondly, how long does the process of the court date take? Is it likely to be in the next few days or weeks?

We can make the monthly mortgage payments, we just had a little difficulty at the time and December was missed due to xmas etc.

Please someone help!!

Thanks

Hi there, please try not to panic. Make the payment this Friday as you had planned to do. However, in the meantime you need to write to your lender (who is it?) advising of the problem you had and that you are able to continue with the payments going forward. If you are able to get the letter off to them today by special (next day) delivery that would be good. If you need help with the letter let me know and I'll draft one for you.

If it does proceed to court you will get a claim form from the solicitors acting for the lender with a court date usually 4 - 6 weeks from when you receive the papers.

If that happens we can help you with the defence. However, if you already have a payment plan in place and can show the court you are able to maintain the payments going forward then there is no way a judge would give the lender possession.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi Ell-enn

The lender is GE Money and if you can help me draft a letter, I would be really grateful. I'm a bag of nerves at the moment. If I could get the money together (it's £2200 including Dec missed payments) would it stop any of this going further forward?

Thanks

Hi there, if there are no arrears on the account then they cannot take you to court. However, you need to think carefully about how you raise the whole arrears amount - if it would cause you financial difficulty going forward then you may find you are unable to pay the mortgage again and the whole issue would re-start.

I will attach a letter here very shortly. You will need to send a budget sheet with the letter and I have affixed one to this post for you. When you complete it make sure the amount left over that you are offering to pay towards the arrears (£150) is what is left after everything else had been accounted for - including the normal monthly mortgage payment.

Is the mortgage in joint names? how much is the normal monthy payment?

Budget Sheet.xls

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

No the mortgage is in my partners name only and the normal monthly payment should be £740 but we've been paying £890 to clear the arrears.

Can I just clarify then, IF I can raise the funds without crippling us and pay them before the court date, the mortgage will just continue as normal without a hearing?

If you raise the funds to clear the arrears before the court date you would need to contact the solicitors and the lender and get them to cancel the hearing, but we can deal with that if you raise the money.

In the meantime, if you send the affixed letter to the lender, you might find that they will cancel court proceedings (we can always hope!). You also need to send a copy of the letter and budget sheet to the solicitors with a covering letter along the lines of:

GE Money Mortgage Account No:

We are in receipt of your letter ref:XXXX dated XXXX regarding the above account.

Affixed is a copy of a letter sent to GE money by special delivery. We trust you will put on hold any further action while we await their reply.

Yours faithfully,

XXXX

Encs.

Make sure you keep a copy of the letters and budget sheet together with the receipts for special delivery. You can then check on the Royalmail website in a few days to print off the signature receipts. Keep all together safe as you may need to prove you wrote to them asking for their acceptance of your proposal.

Any questions, just shout.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Giddy Kipper Letter.doc

In the current climate it is likely they will go for 'suspended posession' which means if in the future you miss just ONE payment or even PART of a payment they can go straight to the court and get you evicted.

Sadly GE Money don't like to abide by the Council of Mortgage Lenders rules (not even sure if they are members of the CML)

Ell-enn will give you some very good advice on them, follow her instrutions to the letter and hopefully GE Money won't be able to get your house.

Yep - but needs to be LESS than 2 months in arrears - Law of Property Act 1925....they should ask for the proceedings to be adjourned generally with liberty to restore. Most judges will also put a strike out clause, i.e. if proceedings not restored within x months the matter be struck out.

So.... (sorry if I'm being thick)

We should pay £740pcm which equates to £1480. The arrears are currently £2250 and I intend to pay £900 by next Monday at the latest. This will make the arrears £1350, will this mean that they have to stop things automatically or will I have to apply to the courts telling them it's less than 2 months?

They won't stop things automatically I'm afraid - but if you send the letter I gave you they may not start the process at all - so the sooner you get it to them the better and by special delivery!

As repoman says if it gets to court and the arrears are less than two months the judge won't give possession,(he wouldn't give it to them at the first time of asking anyway!) but GE would ask for it to be adjourned with liberty to restore which means if you get into arrears again they can fast track to court.

Ell-enn

I always advise attending court - that way you know what is being said. It wouldn't be the first time a lender has told someone they don't need to attend and then they find out later they have got a suspended possession with terms they knew nothing about.

However, we will deal with that if it happens. Send the letter asap and lets hope they do not issue court proceedings.

Ell

Ell-een - a small point, but a technical one. In most cases the Judge has no option other than to give possession even at the first hearing, it's how you then define possession. The Judge will mitigate it if possible by suspending any possession order, i.e. possession in 28 days suspended upon blah blah blah. It doesn't mean that the Defendant loses the house.

Absolutely you would need to attend court, i always recommend it, because I know I've not always been advised promptly of amended instructions. But yes, hopefully it won't come to it. Make sure you draw lots of attention to the pre-action protocol.

Any help needed just ask!

Sorry Repoman I didn't make myself clear. I meant to say that given the circumstances of the op having the ability to pay the arrears over a reasonable time, the judge would not give possession straight away but would suspend possession on these terms. We always use the pre action protocols and the Norgan case law in defences.

Ell

So in effect does that mean the loan is unsecured:eek: I suppose if that were the case the buggers would then go for a charging order??