Orange say I owe them money...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5607 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly, the single most irritating thing about my time with Orange is that they have my name spelt wrong on their system, and no matter how many times I told them they still call me "Andreq" instead of "Andrew". icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyways, my story begins in June of this year when I decided enough was enough. I had only stayed with Orange Broadband for so long because I was still subscribed to an old Freeserve 'unlimited' package, having never changed it throughout the entire period of Wannado's or Orange's reign of terror over my account.

I received my Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) from them on 30th June, and immediately informed my new ISP of choice, IDNet.

My service was officially transferred over to IDNet on 4th July, and as far as I was aware through communication with Orange my broadband account with them was being closed.

Fast forward to 30th October, exactly four months from the date I received my MAC from Orange:

I had a letter from them (addressed to Andreq, of course) informing me that due to non-payment of fees they had suspended my Orange Broadband service and if I don't pay them £31.18 by 7th October they may take legal action against me.

Interesting.

So on 3rd November I phone them up to ask what it is all about, and after a lengthy, unhelpful conversation it turns out they can't tell me anything about the account (citing the Data Protection Act) because apparently my date of birth doesn't match their records. They also suggested that I send them a copy of my birth certificate to prove my identity.

Frustrating? You bet.

Fast forward again to 6th December when I find a letter from Direct Legal & Collections (addressed to Andreq) informing me that I must pay them immediately or I may face legal action.

DLC were not any more helpful when I phoned them, and just confirmed that they have an incorrect date of birth and that they will be continuing to try and obtain the £31.18.

On 19th December I received a pink letter stating that I have until 24th December to pay them or they may send "instructions to solicitors to commence legal action, or a debt collector to visit and collect the debt personally".

first of all stop ringing them

Write to DLC and tell them that you do not aknowledge the debt as you closed your account with orange on ********** and have been paying another service provider since (and since you CANNOT have more than 1 broadband line on a telephone line at any one time it would be physically impossible for ORANGE to have provided the service they are claiming you owe them for)

I would also include a passage to the effect of

"

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Ever shed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance."

• 1 month later...

Just an update...

I wrote to DLC and on Saturday 24th I received a letter from ScotCall Debt Collecting Services.

This letter (with my name still incorrectly spelt) says I have 7 days from the date of the letter (21st Jan.) to pay or they will arrange a doorstep call.

How does this work; do they just turn up or will they phone me to arrange it?