barracad v GMAC (Early Redemption Penalty)

barracad
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Barracad, be careful, and don't assume you'll be allocated to the small claims track. You'll be OK if GMAC want to keep this low-profile, but they might decide to take yours as a test case (as Paragon have done with mine). If they say they're going to fight it, and they want a decisive answer, they may well persuade the judge to multi-track your case. I tried really hard to get mine into small claims, and I used all the right arguments, but the DJ was very clear that the importance for the industry and other consumers outweighed my arguments.

Nationwide: £2443. Settled in full

Co-operative Bank Visa: £351. Settled in full.

MBNA Visa: £476. Settled in full.

AA Account with Capital Bank: £80. Settled in full.

Capital One Visa: £160. Settled in full.

Paragon Personal Finance: £120 fees SETTLED ERC claim withdrawn Feb 07.

Kensington Mortgages: Claim withdrawn Feb 07.

Guest willowb

So, what you're saying (and in the light of Morgy's claim) is that regardless of wether the claim is under £5,000 it could be put into fast track/multi track and therefore we'd be liable for costs???

Wxxx

Willowb, I'm afraid so. The Civil Procedure Rules set out a list of factors the judge must take into account when allocating the case to a track, and the amount of the claim is only one of them. Where the interests of other parties etc. come into it, as with a test-type case, that can be outweighed.

Nationwide: £2443. Settled in full

Co-operative Bank Visa: £351. Settled in full.

MBNA Visa: £476. Settled in full.

AA Account with Capital Bank: £80. Settled in full.

Capital One Visa: £160. Settled in full.

Paragon Personal Finance: £120 fees SETTLED ERC claim withdrawn Feb 07.

Kensington Mortgages: Claim withdrawn Feb 07.

There is a claim where it is at allocation stage. The member has requested small claims and GMAC has requested multi track. The amount in question is under £3.5K but looking at the criteria the DJ has to adhere to when allocating it looks like it may got GMACs way, however the member is asking for GMAC not to be allowed costs (if it goes multi) as this will put the case on an uneven footing which is a direct discrimination in a supposedly fair trial!

Guest willowb

That's a good point, it seems very unbalanced even if the claim is over £5k that the litigant should bear the costs of a multi national company's decision to hire a barrister???? Surely the costs awarded should reflect what would be a fair and reasonable amount for either side to pay out on legal expertise? Is there a limit of £4,000?

IMHO there should be a table that goes something like the N1 claims table....

Claims of £4,000 - £7,000 Costs of up to £1,000

£7,000 - 10,000 Costs of up to £2,000

etc.....oh anyway, just a thought!:|

Wxxx