• Tweets

• Good evening, so not a good weekend reviewing paperwork -- I have lost some proofs of postage.. also, although not provided at CCA, they have now supplied a DN in their WS, please see scan of claimants WS (without statements) Document with tick boxes as signatures doesn't look like an agreement and is split across pages. Documents have been stapled and copied multiple times looking at the top left of them. Aside from that, having read other threads, I suspect they have everything? appreciate your input please Sorry for heavy redactions, I noticed the paperwork was see-through LinkHalifaxCC1.compressed.pdf
    • Received a final demand today Final demand.pdf
    • Here is my final draft: I, XXXXXX, being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in the claim and further to my set aside application dated 1 November 2022. The claimants witness statement confirms that it mostly relies on hearsay evidence as confirmed by the drafts in person in the opening paragraph. It is my understanding they must serve notice to any hearsay evidence pursuant to CPR 33.2(1)(B) (notice of intention to rely on hearsay evidence) and Section 2 (1) (A) of the Civil Evidence Act.   1.        The claimant failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis on the 2 February 2024 'The Claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents.' None of these documents were received by the court nor the defendant by that date.   2.        I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already wrote off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimants witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment.   As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights.  This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information).  The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party.   3.        The alleged letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address.  I have attached a copy of my tenancy agreement which is marked ‘Appendix 1’ and shows I was residing at a difference address as of 11 December 2018 and was therefore not at the service address at the time the proceedings were served.  I have also attached an email from my solicitors to the Claimants solicitors dated 14 July 2022 which was sent to them requesting that they disclose the trace of evidence they utilised prior to issuing the proceedings against me.  This is marked ‘Appendix 2’.  The claimants solicitors did not provide me with these documents.   4.        Under The Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims 2017 a Debt Buyer must undertake all reasonable enquiries to ensure the correct address of a debtor, this can be as simple as a credit file search. The Claimant failed to carry out such basic checks. Subsequently all letters prior to and including ,The Pre action Protocol letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 and the claim form dated 14th February 2020 were all served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018.   5.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020.   6.        Upon the discovery of the Judgement debt, I made immediate contact with the Court and the Claimant Solicitors, putting them on notice that I was making investigations in relation to the Judgement debt as it was not familiar to me.  I asked them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.   The correspondence to the Claimant Solicotors is attached and marked ‘Appendix 3’   7.        I then sent a Data Subject Access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided. Details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 4’and the copies of correspondence between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 5’.   8.        The claimant relies upon and exhibits a reconstituted version of the alleged agreement.   It is again denied that I have ever entered into an agreement with Barclaycard on or around 2000.  It is admitted that I did hold other credit agreements with other creditors and as such should this be a debt that was assigned to Barclaycard from another brand therefore the reconstituted agreement disclosed is invalid being pre April 2007 and not legally enforceable pursuant to HH Judge Waksman in Carey v HSBC 2009 EWHC3417.  Details of this are attached and marked ‘Appendix 6’.   The original credit agreement must be provided along with any reconstituted version on a modified credit agreement and must contain the names and address of debtor and creditor, agreement number and cancelation clause.   9.        Therefore the claimant is put to strict proof to disclose a true executed legible agreement on which its claim relies upon and not try to mislead the court.   10.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. Until such time the claimant can comply and disclose a true executed copy of the original assigned agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim they are not entitled while the default continues, to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth. Signed                 ………………………………………………….. Name                  XXXX Date                     30 April 2024
    • Only trying to help.  Ain't being nasty.  Some
    • Hi folks, I've just found previous documentation. I thought it had gone missing. I'd forgotten that I did appeal it through POPLA but I can't find the thread on here that, I assume, I posted for help. Appeal letter is dated 27/10/2020 with a rejection. I genuinely had forgotten about this so apologies for misleading you. A lot has happened in the years since the ticket was issued. We closed down a couple of businesses and moved to the opposite end of the country to retire. The documents I have are scanned copies. I no longer have the originals. The NTK is also in there. If there's anything you'd like to see, please let me know and I'll post them, although it probably won't be until tomorrow now, but I'll be looking in on this page tonight. Thank you for the responses so far
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Defaults and The Banking Code

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5478 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I currently have 3 defaults on file with 3 seperate banks as a result of penalty charges. After looking at the Banking Code it clearly states,

13.6 We may give information to credit reference agencies about the personal debts you owe us if

• ·you have fallen behind with your payments;
  • ·the amount owed is not being disputed; and
  • ·you have not made proposals we are satisfied with for repaying your debt, following our formal demand.

All 3 are in dispute and have been all along so i was just wondering where this leaves me in getting the defaults removed on those grounds. I put this to Experian and they said as per usual the creditor says the information is correct and to stay on file. Would it be worth contacting the banks or who would be my next point of call?

Thanks

IVA Entry Removed

Nationwide Default Removed

Nationwide Joint Account Default Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Blackhorse Car Finance Court Claim - Won

I would contact the banking ombudsman and the OFT.

I would also write to the banks asking them to remove the CRA information as it contravenes their own code.

It might also be an idea to ask the CRA to put a note on the reference while it is on file to announce to anyone looking that these are disputed debts and should not have been registered in the first place.

Thanks for the reply.

I will try those steps and see where it gets me.

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Bank routinely ignore para. 13.

You should complain to the FOS and to the Information Commissioner. However, if you want to make a real impression then you should bring an action for breach of Data Protection Act and breach of contract - as the banking code is incorporated in the banking contract.

We have often suggested tis but no one so far wants to have a go.

A judgment in your favour would be the most meaningful step foward

Edited by BankFodder

Would this involve court action?

If so how would i go about setting out the claim?

Thanks

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Yes it would involve court action. The easiest way to go might be to assert that para. 13 of the banking code is a term and that the term has been breached. However, you will be seeking an order that the data entry is removed. Let me say that they will fight like cats to stop this. I am not aware of any court decision which has confirmed that the banking code is contractual.

They will want to resist because they will not want a finding that the code is part of the contract. They will also want to resist a forced data removal because they realise that this would be big news and that they would be forced to do it for thousands of others.

It could get rather exciting.

Because you would be asking for a court order and not a money remedy, I expectthat the cost of starting the action would be £150.

I rate your chances of success as extremely high but it would get very rough and would be very newsworthy.

We would do whatever we could to help you

Thank you so far the information given has been great.

Only thing i am a little confused on is the bit were you say you are not aware of any court decision which has confirmed that the banking code is contractual.

How would i argue my case that they have breached the banking code if it is not actually classed as contractual?

Is the code actually part of the banking contract? If so where would i find this information to be able to use it?

Thanks very much so far.

James

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Furthermore i have just been reading through letters received from the bank in relation to my complaint.

A section of their letter sates: We're very upfront with our tarriff structure, and details are provided when the account is first opened, with advance notice being given to account holders in the event of any changes, in line with the Banking Code.

Is this not a blatant statement by them that they abide by the code?

Seems like they pick and choose when it applies.

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Just wrote initial letter to Nationwide see how far i get with that first.

Bankfodder, anyone got any further info on above few posts i wrote?

Thanks

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

Hi

Just waiting for reply from Nationwide regarding letter i sent them.

Been searching round and came accross the following which sets out the frame work by which the FSA and the Banking Code Standards Board (BCSB) will co-operate and carry out their duties.

It is signed by both the Director of Banking for the FSA and Cheif Exec of BCSB.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/mou/fsa_bcsb.pdf

Check out section 3.2. All subscribers to the banking code are under legal contract which both the FSA and BCSB have the power and duty to enforce.

How can they argue against that in court?

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

They oculd try to argue that their contract is with the FSA/BCSB and that only they have the power to enfoce it.

It doesn't matter. I expect that it will be fairly straightforward to argue that the Code is part of the contract. It doesn't matter that it hasn't been done before. There is always a first time.

I would have thought that the prospect of a formal decision about this point by a judge would persuade the bank to settle out of court.

What have you written to Nationwide? Please will you let us have the text here.

I can guarantee you that you will get dilatory responses from them. You shojld not tolerate this and you should move quickly from next step to next step so that they start to appreciate that you are not to be mucked around with.

Please post up the text of your letter.

have a read of this: It states that the banking code does not become part of the terms and conditions us less both parties agree that it should.

Banking Litigation - Google Book Search

This is correct to the extent that agreement of both parties is required. This is the case with most terms in any contract.

However insofar as it suggests that the incorporation of the code must be expressly incorporated, I think that this is incorrect. The code is incorporated by implication.

All banks include in their sales pitch that they are subscribers to the code. The code sets out minimum standards of behaviour for the conduct of the contract. Many of the point in the code are so reasonable that they would be required by law anyway even without the code.

It is inconceivable that any bank would openly trumpet that the code was only "a sales pitch" and was not intended to be taken seriously by potential customers or by existing customers.

The code is voluntary but only to the extent that each bank is free to not to subscribe to it. Having subscribed to it, then they are bound to observe its provisions.

The Banking Code is a voluntary undertaking to incorporate its terms into the account contract.

However, the impression given by Warne and Elliot's book is a convenient one which the banks are only too pleased to be the received wisdom.

It is also for this reason that they will be very unhappy to have a decision which confirms that the code is indeed incorporated into the contract.

Still very much like to see that letter

I will post the letter i sent to them very shortly and list the replies if any etc i get also.

:)

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

I will post the letter i sent to them very shortly and list the replies if any etc i get also.

:)

hiya Jamesx81x

am subbing as thinking this is a good subject and since had my first default, and i believe the account is now terminated by them, i want to try an alternative angle and been trying to see the bigger picture as such,

so wish you lots of luck if you persue it, i might join you and we could then go for 2 different banks and see how things work out

with bankfodder and others here im sure we can persue this with confidence

i like being a rebel of sorts, lol but of course have to get a good plan and correct information to take it all the way, but am willing to try

looking forward to the next posts from all

:cool:

laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

I thought the banking code was made mandatory by the queen in her speech.

have a look at this artical:

Government makes banking code of conduct mandatory - LDPbusiness

thanks for that Ihatedca's

i wonder could we actually address our complaint to the government instead of lloyds and the other banks we the public are funding>? Wonder whether a court action would entice a big publicity drive for us litigants in person? only my madness taking over, must go and take my tablet

but seriously can you imagine a mere bloke or woman down the road ie one of us, taking on the government instead of lloyds say, its just too mad to become true....

have a fun day only my crazy thinking, laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

hi, sorry to but in, but im not sure if this relates to my situation at present.

i had a current account with hsbc with an overdraft facility. I started a claim for unfair bank charges in April 2007. totaling 3kish.

i have always maintained that the account is in dispute. But on 31st oct 08 received a court claim form. I think I am defending the claim, that is if i have done it correctly. on the grounds of the unfair charges.

reading your posts. does it mean that under the banking code they are wrong and breaking the code in takeing me to court. I am awaiting my hearing date, and would love any information or advice you lot could give.

Out of interest I have T&C for Egg loan I took out in 2004, clause 23 states:

"We will comply with the provisions of the Banking Code. Copies of the Banking Code are available on request"

I guess this would make the banking code part of the contract?

Yep it woud but as i said i think the queen made it mandatory anyway but someone would have to confirm that for me.

It is a legally binding contract which if broken can be pursued for damages as with any contract. :)

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

This is the initial letter i sent to them. Still waiting but it has been christmas so will give them an extra few days.

Nationwide Building Society

Member Account Servicing

1st Floor Electra House

Farnsby Street

Swindon

SN2 1SR

14 December 2008

Re: Complaint – FlexAccount ****/**********

Dear Nationwide

After recently viewing my credit report I have noticed that you have placed a default notice on the 14-09-2006.

On the 24-04-2006 I made the initial complaint regarding the charges incurred to my account and how I adamantly disputed the balance you claimed due to these charges.

The Banking Code which Nationwide subscribes to clearly states:

13.6 We may give information to credit reference agencies about the personal debts you owe us if

• ·you have fallen behind with your payments;
  • ·the amount owed is not being disputed; and
  • ·you have not made proposals we are satisfied with for repaying your debt, following our formal demand.

With this in mind you are in breach of paragraph 13.6 Section 2 by issuing the default after a dispute had been raised.

Furthermore in your ‘key commitments to you’ section regarding the code you clearly state; ‘We promise that we will act fairly and reasonably in all our dealings with you by meeting all the commitments and standards in this Code.’

This is clearly not the case on this occasion.

I request that you remove this default from all 3 Credit Reference agencies otherwise I will have no alternative to take further action which will include a full complaint to the Banking Code Standards Board who state that it makes sure that any institutions which subscribes to the code follow it. Something Nationwide clearly haven’t done In this case.

A full Complaint will also be made to the Banking Ombudsman.

I look forward to your response.

Will post the reply if and when i get one

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed

• 3 months later...

Hi

Finally got a reply of Nationwide stating that as i di not follow up the claim after their final letter they took it as the account was no longer in dispute therefore the default was added legally.

Yet in July 2006 i passed the account onto a claims company who wrote direct to Nationwide and received the standard reply of until the outcome of the test case blah blah we will log yor complaint.

Just waiting for the company to send me copies of these letters and they also have written to Nationwide to state that thy should not be issuing defaults on a disputed account.

And how are they going to argue their way out of that one? Unlucky!! :)

IVA Entry Removed

Natwest Default Removed