Interest on a terminated overdraft

planetparker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5634 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am in the middle of a long Court battle against NatWest regarding banking charges and an overdraft I have refused to pay back because of the charges they owe me. I won't go into all of the details here, but the overdraft was terminated 2 years ago. I have recently started receiving letters from the Credit Management Unit telling me the interest they are continuing to charge me each month at the unarranged borrowing rate (around 29% I think). The interest they have now added has almost doubled the original overdraft.........

What I want to find out is:

If an agreement has been terminated can they still charge interest according to the T&Cs - which surely must no longer apply as the account has now been closed? I can only claim statutory interest of 8% on my charges, so why does this not apply to them on the amount they claimed as of the date of termination. Doesn't seem fair to me!

I would be very grateful for advice on this.

Thanks

Capital One - DPA sent 13/06 (MCard) - have acknowledged DPA request, say they will send info shortly....

Egg - DPA sent 14/06 (2 Visa Cards) - standard request for identification document received in response to Data Protection Act

NatWest Current A/C - DPA sent 15/06 -initial estimate of claim is £4,358 plus interest (to be calculated) :-D

Morgan Stanley - DPA sent 15/06 (Platinum MCard) - have cashed my £10 cheque...no statements yet...

MBNA - DAP sent 15/06 (Visa and MCard) - acknowledged

Barclaycard - DPA sent 15/06 (Visa and MCard) - acknowledged

Bank of Scotland - DPA Letter sent 16/06 (Loan)

Beneficial Bank (HFC) - DPA sent 20/06 (Visa)

RBOS - (Visa and MCard) - DPA sent 23/06

Natwest (Visa) - DPA sent 23/06

An agreement is never terminated, per se, until the amount owing is paid back. The ability to give banking facilities would have been terminated but not the agreement itself as there was a negative balance and interest still accruing. Apologies I cannot help on this specific case but I am sure others may be able to help further.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf