British Gas Essentials/Social Tarriff

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5637 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had my gas bill today, noticed I was on fixed rate to 2011 and not the essentials tarriff as requested back in August!

Rang them to be put on it as requested and taken off the fixed tariff, have been told NO as the essentials tarriff has been closed, not taking on anymore as the listing closed in October, and as it is only a TRIAL it is ending in February 2009, when all those on the essentials will go back to the standard rate.

British Gas said I was better off on this tarriff, as there prices are going up next year.

Am I being fobbed off!:mad: anyone else on essentials are you aware it ends in Feb?:eek:

No idea, but it's still being promoted on the website as "Essentials Advance"

Thanks, checked that out and there is no longer any discount, just energy efficiency advise and perhaps free loft insulation:rolleyes: no good to me in rented accomodation that has loft insulation

If there is anyone on the essential tarriff can you find out if your plan is ending next year please

I have been baffled by the new British Gas Tariffs ! We live in a 3 bedroom house which is insulated (we are renting) and BG supply both electric and gas. Our gas was in credit by a large amount so I asked for the amount to be paid to me as we are (like most people) feeling the "pinch", I asked about the Essential Tariff and was asked if I was on benefits; I answered yes and so the customer advisor told me I would be able to go on this tariff. However, I have been non plussed by what then followed. The customer advisor told me to cancel my standing orders and British Gas would then send me my new monthly payments. What did arrive was a bill for my electric which was around £275 !!! I rang up and was not dealt with to my liking, I was told that they would put me on a pre-payment meter; which a friend told me was not to may advantage. So I eventually arrived at a monthly payment for my electric of £100 ! Which I was told would be reviewed in 6 months, by which time the arrears will have been paid off. Now I feel as though I've been persecuted for asking for what was rightfully mine !!! I pay British Gas £145 pcm for my duel fuel.

What I'd be greatful for is information on pre-payment meters, and would I be worse off if I went for one? Plus am I being unfairly charged for my electric at £100 pcm, as I am on benefits. I am registered disabled and I am chronically ill, and have a letter from my GP stating this. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, as the stress is affecting my health more; in particular my angina is worsening. This is a genuine request, and I am not after the sympathy vote !

seeker27

• 2 weeks later...

What I'd be greatful for is information on pre-payment meters, and would I be worse off if I went for one? Plus am I being unfairly charged for my electric at £100 pcm, as I am on benefits. I am registered disabled and I am chronically ill, and have a letter from my GP stating this. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, as the stress is affecting my health more; in particular my angina is worsening. This is a genuine request, and I am not after the sympathy vote !

seeker27

I am on prepayment meters for both gas and electric and not because of a debt but because I prefer to pay up front and see what I am using. For years was with BG but have moved now to Ebico, they have very competitive rates and and the rates are the same what ever way you chose to pay even with prepayment and no standing charge. Maybe worthwhile getting in touch with them. Hope this helps. They are good for letting you know how much you are using and you can then budget and if no credit then no electric or gas unless you use the emergency, but other companies will charge you a higher rate for your units unlike Ebico who charge everyone the same price.

• 2 weeks later...

hi i changed back to british gas yesterday (i only "officially" changed over to nPower 3 days ago) and i have been put back on essentials tarrif - i was told no new customers would be put onto essentials tariff, but there was no mention of it ending