Advice please for nephew - banks acting irresponsibly?

joneseyblod
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5552 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your nephew should attempt to claim on the PPI because he is ill. When that fails, he should demand a refund based on it being mis-sold due tis being on benefits when he took it out and they were aware of his situation.

He should also request a refund of the platinum account charges as he was mis-sold the account. It was obviously the wrong type of account in the circumstances. I have managed to get a refund of these charges in similar circumstances.

He should also request a refund of any charges on the current account & credit card at the same time. I managed to get these refunded for my son whilst giving the bank a kicking over mis-selling.

Hi Jonesy

Tell your nephew to try and stop worrying about their threats. He does not have to speak to these people. Keep everything in writing. You should be able to claim ALL the PPI back because of his circumstances at the time of account opening.

He was certainly missold the Platinum account because if he was on benefits, their policies would exclude him due to a very long list of medical reasons. (Page 29 of their policy docs). His illness is probably there.

You'll have to wait until you get the SAR back to determine what you will claim back. But a letter to them to put the account into dispute wont go amiss.

I would get your nephew to sign a blank piece of paper (or one with a watermark type background so that it can't be copied & photoshopped without it being obvious) so that you can sign letters on his behalf. I have a disabled friend who uses an inked stamp as his signature - I don't see any difference.

I would try a letter along the lines of:

Your nephew's address

date

Re account xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1. I require you to talk to my uncle (tel xxxxxxxxx) of

who will assist me in dealing with the problems with my account.

2. This does not indicate any financial association between my uncle and myself

3. I require all communications regarding my account to be in writing only

Yours faithfully

your nephew's signature

Then see if they ignore his written instructions

If they do, with NatWest, I rang their head office and asked to speak to the MD. When they asked for his extension number, we talked for a minute about the cirumstances & what I wanted to achieve & they put me through to the "executive office". A chap listened, took notes, took my telephone number, said that in the circumstances, someone would ring me & resolve the situation. They did. I gave my mobile number because I can record calls on it. I still have the recording, just in case.

It would not have worked out as well as it did if I hadn't sent my first letter - it was the request for writing only when their debt recovery dept was telephone only, plus my pointing out that it was in the OFT debt collection guidance, that made them go a bit further.

Currently my son is paying £5 per month, no interest, no telephone calls. (Actually I am paying. He got in this mess because he couldn't cope with getting something done the same time each month)

We did today receive a strange letter from TSB advising of "recent request for copies of statements on your account to enable you to reconcile your bank charges" and that they will be sent in 40 days.

There is no telephone number, and the address refers to a copy statement unit. Do hope that more than just statements is given under the Subject Access Request as a lot more than that was requested!

Do you have a template letter for account in dispute letters at all please?

If all you asked for is a copy of statements, that might be all you get. I think that the template on this site just asks for statements. If you used the request from the information commissioner's site, you should get everything.

An account in dispute letter is just a letter saying that along with the reasons why.

your address

Account number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Sir

Account in dispute

My bank account no xxxxxxxxx is in dispute for the following reasons

1. I was mis-sold PPI because of pre-existing conditions known to the bank at the time

2. I was mis-sold the Platinum Account. It was obvious to your staff at the time that I opened the account that I would not benefit fro any of the features of the account and that an ordinary account would have been more appropriate

3. That you have applied charges to the account that are unfair

I expect a full refund of all of the charges incorrectly or unfairly applied.

Yours faithfully

Your nephew's signature

You might want to add more. Keep the numbered points short. If you need to elaborate, put it below the numbered points

• Haha 1