• Tweets

• Just a typo change that I'd make for the last line. Maybe also add something that says "I assume you will be fully aware that you cannot rely on a clause of a contract that you do not produce."
    • Hello, Firstly, and most importantly I am sorry for your loss. I would go back to the bank with the death certificate and ask them to step in. Remind them firmly but politely that there is no limit for DD claims   Please let us know how you get on.
    • My wife is the named person to his bank account with him having Dementia being his daughter (I say named person she still is but he recently passed away and the deputyship application has now being stopped by the solicitor as it's no longer needed) We've only just got the Death Certificate so the bank will be the next step informing them. She went to the bank and explained the situation but even being his named person the bank said she didn't have the power to stop DD without any legal documents (virgin money) was the bank. She could have copies of bank statements that was about it.
    • I see you said you tried to stop the DD but it seems that didn't work. May I please ask why that didn't work? You should be asking your bank to cancel the DD and I don't see why they would have objected, hopefully you can clarify this. I agree that you should be making a claim here against your bank and ask them for a DD refund. There is no timeframes for this.
    • JK: Yeah That's correct. We left rent payment coming out of his bank account from January 2023 - August 2023 until we could find somewhere to sort out his belongings which was fine. I tried to give notice a few times from August 2023 asking for advice from Sanctuary housing how we went about this explaining his condition and that he was in a Nursing home from December 2022. I explained we don't have any legal powers to his account like POT but were in the process of going for Deputyship and that I was the named person to act on his behalf to speak with Santuary housing. I said we could provide details of his condition and proof he was now in a nursing home with date he moved in. This went ignored despite repeated attempts to contact them until a housing manager contacted us end of February 2024 and notice was finally accepted with his tenancy coming to an end March 22 2024. Although they have continued to take rental payments for the flat despite someone else living in it from the 1st April. I wasn't aware payments were still being taken till I checked his May banks statements. I had asked them to back date rental payments to August 2023 when I gave notice rather than just giving notice in March 2024 but they've ignored that bit. I don't see why they shouldn't give it back they've taken money they shouldn't have. Thanks DX, I wasn't aware we could do that for that length of time. I'll ask my wife to check with the bank this week
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Morgan Stanley CCA- received Barclaycard terms in response**WON, THEN WON AGAIN!!!**

noomill060
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5474 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

An offer of settlement has been made by email, but only for the monetary part of my claim. Letter is headed "By Email only"

Letter marked -"without prejudice save for costs", with a proviso that they will draw the courts attention to this offer should I decline their offer.

If I produce this letter in court without consent they will ask for a different judge and their wasted costs.

Letter includes a gagging clause re: existence and terms of the offer.

Whats the point of a non legally binding offer of settlement?

If I sign and they then do not honour the terms, I cant then go back show this letter to a judge.

Hmmmmm.... dark deeds afoot methinks!

Their return date is tomorrow.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends how confident you feel. Personally (Which I emphasise) I would reject the offer on the basis that it is not everything I claimed. This is what I did with GE Money and Goldfish - in both cases, their offer didn't include the interest I had claimed. In both cases, I got the full amount by sticking out. In your case, though, presumably there is a non-money element (Default removal? - sorry can't remember). However, they can only show the letter (e-mail) to the judge if the turn up in court and we know there is little chance of them doing that.

They really arent keen on meeting our district judge are they?

Do they really intend waving that letter at the DJ?

"Look- we offered him £xxxx to go away"

"Oh yes, so you did. So you admit miss selling PPI and have offered to reimburse Mr Noomill the PPI premiums, plus 9 years 26.8% contractual interest, plus County Court interest at 26.8%, agreeing with him that the Limitations Act does not apply in this case.

Now lets see, you concede that PPI was added to the debt amount, so was treated as credit. Hmmmmmmmm- that has implications for the enforcabillity of any regulated credit agreement!

Mr Noomill, you also ask me to make a declaration under s.142. Might I see the document Sharkleys claim is the agreement?

Hmmm....Sharkleys T&Cs no signature. Isnt this a MSDW account which Sharkleys bought off Goldfish?

Mr Sharkleys- do you have a MSDW agreement signed by Mr Noomill?

No your Honour, but we do have a MSDW agreement signed by some dude in Lancashire who is ten years older than Mr Noomill.

Mr Noomill has been supplied a copy of this, and is aware that he does not live in Lancashire and had 10 fewer candles on his last birthday cake than the Lanc dude did.

Edited by noomill060

Funny that- I've only just twigged.

The MIB are watching this and the muppets fell for my cunning plan- hence they sent me a CCA of some random dude who lives not a zillion miles down the road from Bolton!!:D

I dont even live on the same island as Bolton! They probably think Im appearing in Alladdin at the Octagon Theatre!

This is hilarious.

Sharkleys- you know when youve been Tango'd

Edited by noomill060

Steady DD- not quite there yet :-)

More or less.

Told them Im not going to sign this document, but if they do what they are offering in this letter (wipe the alleged debt and pay my court fee) I will withdraw my claim.

AC-

I have raised concerns over the gagging clause and they are considering removing it.

They are just going to mark the account as settled- I havent been issued with a default notice and as far as i understand it the account remains active.

I have also raised concerns over interest acrued on the balance this month. If they credit my account with the full amount, which is their intention, interest up to the date this credit is made will apparently still appear on my next statement.

Ive told them that I will consider any interest applied to the balance ( which is in its entirety made up of unlawful debits) to be a further unlawful debit and that I will file a further claim for its removal.

I am begining to doubt their sincerity. I dont trust them one inch to do what they claim.

Conversely, they are concerned that I will simply accept the settlement offered as part settlement, fail to withdraw my claim, continue the rest of my action and obtain a declaration of unenforcabillity from the court.

If I do sign this document and they subsequently fail to do as they promise, would they still be able to hide behind "without Prejudice save for costs"

Or would their failure enable me to claim that they abused the Without Prejudice thing, claim that this wasnt in reality a genuine offer and thus present the document to a judge?

Just looking to cover my back in case they do the dirty.

OK, got the January interest sorted.

Just read through the revised offer of settlement and spotted that they have put the wrong account number as the acount they intend to credit.

It aint mine!

(Close, but its not the number on my statement.)